Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
Wondering if there is a difference between the Dust and Pollen Filter and the Air filter in the engine. If so, where is it located. The manual says to have the dealer replace it.
Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
338 Posts
Dust and pollen filter IE: Cabin Filter is located behind the glove box.

2 minutes to replace it. Don't let the stealer do it.

There are pictures or video of how to somewhere on the net. That is how I learnt to do mine.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
All three of my vehicles take the same dust and pollen filter. I use the Fram CF10134 Fresh Breeze with baking soda and carbon. I find them around the same price on Amazon and Walmart for $11-$13. I don't need any tools to exchange and the hardest part is just taking the stuff out the glove box to reach the filter and putting everything back. I change them out every spring.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Fram CF10134 Fresh Breeze with baking soda and carbon. I find them around the same price on Amazon and Walmart for $11-$13
Another vote for the Fram Fresh Breeze cabin filter. I would argue it's better than OEM at 1/3 the price. Price has gone up on Amazon lately (what hasn't??) but still reasonable on Ebay.

I usually buy OEM for the engine air filter. That one actually impacts the life of your engine and the OEM is a good quality filter and can be found for a reasonable price compared to aftermarket.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
It's funny... The Fram Fresh Breeze is the ONLY Fram product I will use. I refuse to use their oil filters or engine air filters... But I do like their cabin filters.

·
Registered
733 Posts
It's funny... The Fram Fresh Breeze is the ONLY Fram product I will use. I refuse to use their oil filters or engine air filters... But I do like their cabin filters.
What Oil Filter do you use? I was using the Honda OEM one exclusively until they contracted with FRAM to make them.

Now I use Wix oil filter and occasional K&N when it’s on sale with Oil where I can use those $5 off coupons from advance auto which comes out to $17 for synthetic oil and filter. I love those deals.

I have a cache of CarQuest filters that my buddy gave me when he gave back his MDX. They feel solid and have good reviews but I haven’t tried them yet. Anyone try those?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
What Oil Filter do you use? I was using the Honda OEM one exclusively until they contracted with FRAM to make them.
The old "A01" Filtech filters that Honda carried were decent. The "A02" Honeywell filters (Honeywell owns FRAM) are supposedly a hybrid of the old Filtech and conventional FRAM designs. The A02 features cardboard endcaps -- which many armchair warriors will point to as a likely point of failure. However, the A02 does seem to use a nitrile anti-drainback valve -- considerably nicer than what the FRAM orange-can-of-death filters get. I suppose Honda was okay with the cardboard endcaps but wouldn't allow the normal rubber drainback valve. To me, that is quite telling. That said, I won't risk my own vehicle to test that theory -- especially since better filters are available at the same price point.

I almost always use a Mobil 1 filter. The M1-110 or M1-110A are easily obtained and not expensive.

If I couldn't get a Mobil 1 then I would try a Purolator BOSS.

In a pinch I'd use a WIX or Napa Gold. They're fine filters, too.

I REFUSE to use K&N filters. Their air filters are worse than a scam. Much like Lucas oil, I'll avoid all K&N products just because I hate the dishonesty/image of the brand. But, objectively, I think their oil filters are overpriced garbage, anyway.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I typically used Acura OEM or WIX filters. Regardless of what they look like when reverse engineered, they seem to do an excellent job of filtering going by MID intervals. I've had a few changes sampled by Blackstone and the oil is in terrific shape. If you wanted to go much longer extended intervals than perhaps the construction might really come into play, but I'm satisfied with 9k-10k miles.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I just changed the cabin filter with the Fram Fresh Breeze - it’s a great tight fit and the element has carbon baking soda integrated into it. I don’t think I’d buy anything else after this!

Thumbs Up on this one!

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I replaced my cabin air filter last week as well. With the same filter. That fram filter is often on sale on amazon. I got a couple of them under $6 each. Great deal! I grab them whenever such deals show up.

Installation took me longer. This is another example where time is not important. You need to align the filter properly so that one pleat at each end would be tucked in the slot in the filter holder so that no air will escape unfiltered. I might spend some extra time. But it is a great feeling that I know it is done correctly.

The engine air filter housing in Honda is better designed than Toyota and Subaru. Very easy. You just take off 4 8mm bolts, don’t use screwdriver. And it is done easily. The tricky issue is 10-13 use a different filter from 07-09. You need to make sure to buy the correct one. There is one filter on Amazon for only $10 with great reviews. I just use it. There is nothing wrong with it. It’s called EPAuto. Make sure to replace every 30k.

I use all kinds of engine oil filters. From Fram orange can of death to M1. They all work. The way the filter is positioned, there is no need for anti drain back valve. So you can save some money there. Last time, I got a case of A01 filters from a Honda dealer for $3 each. Great deal. Should have bought more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
733 Posts
$6? When do they have deals like that?

I think I got it for $18 at Walmart because it was the same price as on amazon and I happeded to be at walkmart. I saw them on eBay for $11 but I am suspect of anything sold on eBay.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Yes $18 is MSRP. But Amazon some times discounted it to $9. Stack on a coupon and subscribe saving it is 5.64 before tax. I bought one on 5/4/2017, 9/4/2015, 9/1/2015. Prices are 6, 14, and 11. So 6 seems to be the bottom. Heck, you can search on camelcamelcamel.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
They're "probably" fine... But do you really want to risk it to save a couple bucks?

I'm all for value but sometimes cheap is just cheap.

But I guess you could grab one of those people from the "gas" threads who bicker about knowing more than Acura to justify saving $0.20 a gallon. Of course they'd probably tell you that filter is too expensive and they'll just wad up some napkins they swiped from Subway and shove it in the glove box. BOOM new cabin filter. Oh you want a "fancy" one? Sprinkle some baking soda -- store brand, of course... none of that "fancy" Arm & Hammer stuff -- we're not part of the oligarchy. sheesh.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I clicked your link, besides the 3 pack for $13, I also find a EPAuto one. 2 pack for $13. It had 3k reviews and about 5 stars. That is a good compromise to me. Even you put an OEM filter there, it’s hard to get better reviews. These stuff costs nothing to make. I would say the cost is probably $1 per filter. Different makers/ sellers charge the max the can get away with.

P.S. I asked this question long time ago here. Why OEM cabin filter costs more than OEM engine air filter? The latter seems to be much more costly to make. Finally, with EPAuto's pricing system, we see the proof. The EPAuto cabin air filter does cost less than EPAuto engine air filter. As far as I can see, Honda/Acura extracts an obscene amount of profit from cabin air filters. It is at least my duty to NOT to use the OEM parts. Fram is a relatively well known brand in US and it has sales channels through local auto parts stores. So it charges about half of OEM. Then the EPAuto mostly sells over Amazon/eBay with no OEM glory and no local exposure. So it is about half of Fram. Finally, the one suggested by LocalBar does not even have EPAuto's history and reviews, so it is about half of EPAuto. Wow, OEM brand, sales channels, Amazon reviews each have a factor of 2. That is how you go from the cheapest to OEM (5 * 2^3).

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
$ I saw them on eBay for $11 but I am suspect of anything sold on eBay.
I just ordered the Fram Freshbreeze from Ebay last week...$13 delivered. Amazon is $16. I received the package two days later....fulfilled by Amazon. That's happened on nearly everything I've bought from Ebay lately. I don't do Amazon prime so I just buy on Ebay and get it in two days.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I replaced my cabin air filter last week as well. With the same filter. That fram filter is often on sale on amazon. I got a couple of them under $6 each. Great deal! I grab them whenever such deals show up.

Installation took me longer. This is another example where time is not important. You need to align the filter properly so that one pleat at each end would be tucked in the slot in the filter holder so that no air will escape unfiltered. I might spend some extra time. But it is a great feeling that I know it is done correctly.

The engine air filter housing in Honda is better designed than Toyota and Subaru. Very easy. You just take off 4 8mm bolts, don’t use screwdriver. And it is done easily. The tricky issue is 10-13 use a different filter from 07-09. You need to make sure to buy the correct one. There is one filter on Amazon for only $10 with great reviews. I just use it. There is nothing wrong with it. It’s called EPAuto. Make sure to replace every 30k.

I use all kinds of engine oil filters. From Fram orange can of death to M1. They all work. The way the filter is positioned, there is no need for anti drain back valve. So you can save some money there. Last time, I got a case of A01 filters from a Honda dealer for $3 each. Great deal. Should have bought more.

Do you have the cabin filter part number handy for a 2011?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Mine is 07. I do not worry about 10+. But I suspect they are the same for cabin air filter. The engine filters are slightly different.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The MDX uses the same cabin air filter from 2007 through 2018.

Fram Fresh Breeze CF10134

·
Registered
338 Posts
I clicked your link, besides the 3 pack for $13, I also find a EPAuto one. 2 pack for $13. It had 3k reviews and about 5 stars. That is a good compromise to me. Even you put an OEM filter there, it’s hard to get better reviews. These stuff costs nothing to make. I would say the cost is probably $1 per filter. Different makers/ sellers charge the max the can get away with.
Wish we had those prices like those up here. :frown2:

Fram = $20 at WalMart (cheapest)
EPAuto = $69.99 on Amazon ca for the two pack :surprise:

And god forbid I get a dealer to do the 2 minute work = $80+

1 - 20 of 31 Posts