Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Bush was overstepping his boundaries. Good ruling by the Supremes.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nobody is saying these guys aren't guilty. In fact, they probably are. All this says is they have the right to actually be charged with their crimes and defened themselves in court. You wouldn't think this would be up for debate in the 21st century, but apparently to some this is a question.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Perhaps more significantly, eight of the nine justices sided against the Bush administration on some grounds. Only Justice Clarence Thomas, by many measures the court's staunchest conservative, found no fault with the administration
I wonder what Mr. Thomas is thinking? :confused:

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Plus he was even detaining US citizens for an indeterminant period of time. :14:

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
laborlitigator said:
Plus he was even detaining US citizens for an indeterminant period of time. :14:
But I'm sure he was only detaining the GUILTY ones, so really it was okay. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
355 Posts
neide said:
Nobody is saying these guys aren't guilty. In fact, they probably are. All this says is they have the right to actually be charged with their crimes and defened themselves in court. You wouldn't think this would be up for debate in the 21st century, but apparently to some this is a question.
Did we offer all German and Japanese POWs legal representation in WWII? How about Korean and Vietnam POWs?

Granted the people apprehended on US soil should have legal representation but to grant the terrorists captured on foreign soil US legal rights is idiotic.

·
Registered
736 Posts
hhwc said:

Did we offer all German and Japanese POWs legal representation in WWII? How about Korean and Vietnam POWs?

Granted the people apprehended on US soil should have legal representation but to grant the terrorists captured on foreign soil US legal rights is idiotic.
Yep! I think the Supremes did what they often do...split the baby.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hhwc said:

I can always count on you to come in and show us the barbarian point of view. It just wouldn't be the same without it. :D

·
Registered
736 Posts
neide said:

I can always count on you to come in and show us the barbarian point of view. It just wouldn't be the same without it. :D
Barbarian? I guess there must be a lot of us "barbarians" out here then because I fully agree with hhwc's very thoughtful and articulate comments.

Seems the only thing we can really count on is these type of inappropriate comments from a member of the party of political correctness.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, now all we need is kermoner to come in screaming "liberal". :p

I just hope that you're never on the recieving end of being arrested but not charged or having the right to see a lawyer. I'm sure you'd be screaming bloody murder then.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
neide said:
Okay, now all we need is kermoner to come in screaming "liberal". :p

I just hope that you're never on the recieving end of being arrested but not charged or having the right to see a lawyer. I'm sure you'd be screaming bloody murder then.
Civil rights is an important issue, however, lets not forget that these are suspected terrorists. treating common criminals with kid gloves has been a failiure. this time the stakes are more important because fighting terrorism is a concern for us all and can lead to serious losses of life unlike letting a common criminal go due to some technicality or giving them a slap on the wrist for their crimes. These terrorists do not care if innocent people die, heck they are willing to die themselves. I guess this is where I draw the line when it comes to suspending civil rights.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
keremoner said:

Civil rights is an important issue, however, lets not forget that these are suspected terrorists. treating common criminals with kid gloves has been a failiure. this time the stakes are more important because fighting terrorism is a concern for us all and can lead to serious losses of life unlike letting a common criminal go due to some technicality or giving them a slap on the wrist for their crimes. These terrorists do not care if innocent people die, heck they are willing to die themselves. I guess this is where I draw the line when it comes to suspending civil rights.
Lets just hope for your sake no one decides you might be a terrorist.

Fine, do whatever you want with them after you actually prove some guilt. Make the bar lower if it makes you happy so its harder for them to get off. But for god's sake give them a trial. Anything less is simply going to back to the dark ages.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Moner, you on your best behavoir or something? I can't believe you didn't scream "liberal".

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
neide said:

Lets just hope for your sake no one decides you might be a terrorist.

Fine, do whatever you want with them after you actually prove some guilt. Make the bar lower if it makes you happy so its harder for them to get off. But for god's sake give them a trial. Anything less is simply going to back to the dark ages.
First, none of these guys have been snatched from Main Street, USA just based on suspicion. Second, it takes time to build cases against them. A speedy trial is usually out of question with them due to the circumstances. Remember, most of these guys were caught with weapons in their hands while fighting US forces in Afghanistan. That sets the bar low enough for me in having probable cause. But, I guess that is not enough for some!!!
What say you, neide?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
keremoner said:

First, none of these guys have been snatched from Main Street, USA just based on suspicion. Second, it takes time to build cases against them. A speedy trial is usually out of question with them due to the circumstances. Remember, most of these guys were caught with weapons in their hands while fighting US forces in Afghanistan. That sets the bar low enough for me in having probable cause. But, I guess that is not enough for some!!!
What say you, neide?
The question also goes to others here who are for unlimited rights for terrorists. Who will argue the counterpoint that a) there is enough evidence to detain these guys as terrorist combatants and b) they do not qualify for the same rights as a US citizen since they were apprehended overseas while commiting attempted murder and murder against the US and Afghan forces.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The decision has been handed down by Admin to shutdown the current events thread. So I think this subject is now officially dead.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts