Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We received a little snow on Thursday in the north east and today it was 45-50 degrees so you can imagine how the midnight blue looks. Anyway, its going to be warm again tomorrow so i'm not ready to wash it yet (just rinsed it off). What are most people using to dry off their car - a 100% cotton towel or a chamois. Ive always used a chamois but i'm open to suggestions.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
73 here today, drove around in the X w/roof open. Anyway, I washed it this morning-rinse, Acura wash treatment, rinse, dry off with a chamois (always IMHO.)Good luck!

·
Registered
128 Posts
im a water blade and royal velvet towel guy . . .

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
How good is that water blade anyway? Do you use it on the paint and the windows, no scratches?

·
Registered
128 Posts
i use it on my cars - and my customer cars
i have a buddy who runs a detail shop -
does M-Benz pre-delivery, and he uses them . . .

you just gotta be careful about being careful with it -
wiping it a lot while using, to keep the edge clean, and if you are outside, and its windy - maybe re-think it, cause stuff is flyin around and could land on the car.

of course, unless you are using super fluffy towels - or a leaf blower, there is a chance of dragging debris across the paint with most everything else.

large dark color auto's benefit from fast water removel - less water spots.

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
I've used the water blade too. I've also had great success with my leaf blower, especially for the rims and tires.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ever since I bought an air compressor, I've always used it to dry the X's nooks and crannies like the door handles, side-view mirrors, front grills, around the A emblems and even on the lug nuts and wheels. I use the water blade on large areas such as the hood, sides, and roof. I use Absorber (synthetic chamois) and compressed air on the residual water droplets.

I usually pull my cars inside the garage immediately after I rinsed them to avoid dusts and pollen settling on the wet surface.

I hope this helps...

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Thanks a bunch for the Water Blade tips, guys.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Perhaps my suggestion has been given before but for drying any car I think this works best. The air compressor idea is great but a cheaper and nearly as effective method is just to use an electric powered leaf blower to blow most of the water off the car and out of the nooks and crannys that drip later. Its not effective for totally blasting the water off like a commercial car wash blower but its better than a quick run around the block to remove some of the water. I've been using the new microfiber wiping towels and think they're terrific. Griot's has them but I've seen them at other places like Bed, Bath and Beyond. I've used them on both a Taffeta White 03 MDX and Anthracite Gray 03 3.2TL and they leave no scratches and really, really absorb a lot of water. I use my microfiber towels only for car drying.

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
Allen Cichanski said:
Perhaps my suggestion has been given before but for drying any car I think this works best. The air compressor idea is great but a cheaper and nearly as effective method is just to use an electric powered leaf blower to blow most of the water off the car and out of the nooks and crannys that drip later. Its not effective for totally blasting the water off like a commercial car wash blower but its better than a quick run around the block to remove some of the water. I've been using the new microfiber wiping towels and think they're terrific. Griot's has them but I've seen them at other places like Bed, Bath and Beyond. I've used them on both a Taffeta White 03 MDX and Anthracite Gray 03 3.2TL and they leave no scratches and really, really absorb a lot of water. I use my microfiber towels only for car drying.
Agreed, check my post just a few up from yours. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Drying

Chamois is the best for drying, either the real thing or synthetic. I prefer synthetic because they pick up more water Cotton or micro fiber towels are fine also. Just be sure they are clean. Stay away from anything else. Things like water blades will just leave fine scratches in your paint, same with towels that have synthetics in them (except the microfiber). Microfiber towels are very good for removing wax too. If you are just rinsing the car off remember that there is still alot of dirt on the paint so don't dry it off with a chamois or towel, all you will do is create more scratches.:eek:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: Drying

deluce said:
Chamois is the best for drying, either the real thing or synthetic. I prefer synthetic because they pick up more water Cotton or micro fiber towels are fine also. Just be sure they are clean. Stay away from anything else. Things like water blades will just leave fine scratches in your paint, same with towels that have synthetics in them (except the microfiber). Microfiber towels are very good for removing wax too. If you are just rinsing the car off remember that there is still alot of dirt on the paint so don't dry it off with a chamois or towel, all you will do is create more scratches.:eek:
I don't see why there should be any 'significant' dirt on the surface after washing. It there was, almost anything used to dry it with the exception of air, would leave scratches.

·
Registered
235 Posts
an observation

for drying i like any of these...

1. synthetic chamois
2. natural chamois
3. california water blade, but the blade edge and the car surface must perfectly clean-will dry much of the car but will not dry many irregular contours well.
4. 100% cotton, made in usa towels

it always amazed me that even after washing a car and thinking i did a good job i would often find that the towel i used to dry it would end up having some "dirt". and often some of the intricate areas such as the acura emblem would still have dirt inside even though i spent more time cleaning it.
an observation-often by looking thru the windshield on a sunny day one can see how really clean the surface is. often it is not as clean as one would expect.

regards,

chris

·
Registered
19 Posts
I use the leaf blower to get the majority of the water off then a synthetic chamois. I used a new chamois today and it left a oily residue on the car. I ended up cleaning all the windows and wiping the whole car down with cotton towels to get the oil off. I wasn't happy about that. I saw the leaf blower trick on TV, Motorweek I think.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Thoch:

___This search might help ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
250 Posts
California Water Blade and "The Absorber"(~$10 at Wal-Mart)...
Great combination. Have been using The Absorber for years and
it works very well.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts