Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a head scratcher I can't chase down or find similar stories on:

Drivers side DRL will only work when the main HID lights turn on. If it's during the day, the HIDs turn off and the DRLs attempt to light - which prompts a dashboard warning to check DRLs. If it's dark OR you manually force the HIDs on, the DRLs both work fine.

Steps to reproduce: turn off HIDs, only passenger side DRL will light.

Steps tried to fix: swapped DRL bulbs. Issue stays on drivers side.

Any thoughts on this? I have been hunting for a DRL module without luck. Not sure what I would do with it when I find it...check the solder points? Bulbs are clearly fine. Stumped

·
Registered
319 Posts
Did you check with Fog lights, as in what happens if you switch on fog lights?

Also did you check the wiring? May be its getting mixed up with fog/low beam wiring?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you check with Fog lights, as in what happens if you switch on fog lights?

Also did you check the wiring? May be its getting mixed up with fog/low beam wiring?
Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I'm not sure what lights are called "fog lights". I have HIDs (low beam) + standard halogen (high beam) + standard halogen very near the ground that I would call DRLs.

I followed wiring around a bit and it all looked fine. There is tons of wiring though to track down and will require taking off the front of the car. (Something I had to do to replace the HIDs a few years ago.

Was hoping for a light module that I could replace and see if it solved the problem....maybe it's not going to be that easy.

·
Registered
319 Posts
In 2nd Gen MDX the DRL housing has two lights, one is the DRL and other is Fog Light. When you switch on Fog Lights the DRLs switch off. You can only turn on Fog Lights when the low beam is switched on.

On your light stalk there is an on/off switch for fog lights

Also with FOGs on if you switch to high beam I believe the FOGs switch off and DRLs switch on.

Check what happens when Fog light is switched on, do both DRLs switch off or only the left one. This will show if its somehow got hotwired with low beam or still working independently.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In 2nd Gen MDX the DRL housing has two lights, one is the DRL and other is Fog Light. When you switch on Fog Lights the DRLs switch off. You can only turn on Fog Lights when the low beam is switched on.

On your light stalk there is an on/off switch for fog lights

Also with FOGs on if you switch to high beam I believe the FOGs switch off and DRLs switch on.

Check what happens when Fog light is switched on, do both DRLs switch off or only the left one. This will show if its somehow got hotwired with low beam or still working independently.

Well geez....now I feel like an idiot. I assumed that toggle was for DRL's not the fog lights and honestly even though I was digging around in there, didn't know there was (2) sets of bulbs in that lens. Turns out if you watch closely....it's simply the inner most bulb that would be called the "DRL" and it's just a burnt bulb! When I thought they were both turning on, it was really the fog lights and the DRL's automatically turn off at that point.

Sometimes it just takes someone to point it out for you....so THANK YOU

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick update on this - I purchased new DRLs for a shocking $3.91 shipped on ebay. They are a nice white compared to the original yellow. Not as good as a true HID, but I am pleased with them. I have been using them for almost a month without issues.

Also - to install DRLs, you DON'T need to remove any screws at all. Just pull back the protective wheel wheel cover and reach in. Once you have felt around and understand what is going on, it's a 30 second job.

What I purchased:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are a few of those plastic pop clips that I removed the first time. But all prior times I found that I could bend back the cover plenty to get my arm in without removing anything.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Since you are in the light upgrade/replacement mode. Updating the HIDs to OSRAM or Moritomo in the 5000-5500 kelvin range takes around the same time as the DRL if you have smaller hands (no bumper removal required). It was faster for me to remove the battery on the driver's side compared to snaking my arm/hand in for the bulb replacement. The OEM HIDs for the MDX wasn't that bright, as wide, or as far compared to my TSX or RDX HIDs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought some el cheapo eBay HIDs as well years ago ~6000k and I have been happy with them.....however the drivers side sometimes flickers, so I have another replacement pair waiting in the glovebox for when I feel like digging into it again. (I pulled the bumper last time) This time I'll try your suggestion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts