Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 MDX and the DRL Warning light is on and only one of the DRL lights is burning, the Driver side. We had the bulb replaced and it came back on. Thing is, when we turn the Lights on, both DRL lights come on. I thought there was only one bulb in there. So what could cause that. I see that a short or something could knock that one light bulb out, but then it works when the Lights are turned on.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
The DRL should only be on when the main HIDs are off? If you have the fog/driving lights activated, the fog/driving lights should turn on when the HIDs are turned on; while, the DRL turns off at the same time. The fog/driving lights do look a lot like the DRL and they sit side-by-side to each other.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Thing is, when we turn the Lights on, both DRL lights come on.
There is only one DRL bulb on each side in an MDX. The other bulb is the fog light. It doesn't trigger the DRL light error when the bulb is out. In fact, there is no indication whatsoever in case a fog bulb is out.

If your fog light comes on with low beams, this means you switched that option on your stock.

·
Registered
56 Posts
As they said, there are two bulbs in there. You probably replaced the fog light bulb and not the DRL bulb.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, thanks, Guys! That all makes sense. I didn't actually change that bulb out, the shop that works on my car did. All I asked was to get rid of the DRL Warning on the dash, and it was off for awhile. Possibly, they changed the wrong bulb, but they only work on Hondas and Acuras and were previously dealer mechanics. So, that may point to a problem in that DRL light circuit. Yea, being two bulbs and two different systems in there would produce that affect. I still have a DRL problem. Couldn't be a fuse, because the other one is on. It's either, a bad bulb . . . again, or a loose wire, connection or short in the line. Back to the drawing board, but at least now I know what I'm hunting. Thanks again. That was a bid help.

·
Registered
578 Posts
There is only one DRL bulb on each side in an MDX. The other bulb is the fog light. It doesn't trigger the DRL light error when the bulb is out. In fact, there is no indication whatsoever in case a fog bulb is out.

If your fog light comes on with low beams, this means you switched that option on your stock.
Actually it does will trigger message if the bulb is out. Maybe on older MDXes it does not...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Although the model year is not specified in the original message, it is posted in the Second Generation thread (2007-2013), so my statement is correct.
I just checked my manual(pg 130), It does have "Check DRL System" and "DRL Off" messages as warning though it doesnt mention if it would show this on a blown bulb

·
Registered
938 Posts
On the 2.5G Fog lights work only when Low beam is on.
Yes, that's how it works on all second generation MDXs (from 2007 to 2013). That's what I said in my first post in this thread. If your fog light comes on with your low beams, this means you switched that option on using your stock.

I just checked my manual(pg 130), It does have "Check DRL System" and "DRL Off" messages as warning though it doesnt mention if it would show this on a blown bulb
That's exactly what it's there for in the first place: to indicate a blown bulb. Secondary option would be to indicate incorrect bulb installed (different voltage) or that something is wrong with electrics.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Although the model year is not specified in the original message, it is posted in the Second Generation thread (2007-2013), so my statement is correct.
He said 2012. And it does trigger message. Ok, your statement is correct....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts