Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here, just purchased a 2007 MDX with very noticeable silver-dollar size burn marks in the lenses of DRL directly opposite the bulbs. These burns are black in color and on both left and right sides. The DRLs turn on as they are supposed to but look pretty ridiculous with their big black pupils. Has anyone else experienced this and do you have any theories about what might have caused this?

·
Registered
261 Posts
My 2009 has very light but noticeable circulation discoloration on the lenses. I assume it’s from the heat burning residue in the air that landed on the interior surface of the glass. I could find no convenient way to clean it. Actually I upped the ante with the HiPro 110w 5900K halogen bulbs. It actually looks better when on but my spot is only noticeable when the lights are off & you are looking at it hard. The 110w bulb will likely only make things worse.

·
Registered
161 Posts
OP your situation makes me think someone replaced the original DRL bulbs with something aftermarket of a higher wattage that burned the plastic.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
It looks like someone messed with the DRLs and put some bulbs in them that are not actually suitable and way too hot, which melted the clear plastic. You can find aftermarket replacements on eBay for about $100 for a set of two, or you can source used OEM ones for about $30 a pop.

Dont forget to put the correct bulbs in them, too, while you are at it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
For what it’s worth, I have faint dark circles that are from the original OEM DRLs at 106K. It definitely does NOT mean that someone messed with it. My bulbs were original OEM. They aren’t now but it’s a risk I know I’m taking. I believe it’s very likely that those lenses can take 110w at reduced power. They’ve done so for some time now with no change but it’s definitely a rusk. I think the spots are from melted residue within the lens cavity or aging of material on the backside of the lens which has “baked” with time-though I did not remove them to confirm this for certain.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
For what it’s worth, I have faint dark circles that are from the original OEM DRLs at 106K.
Interesting! My 2008 MDX is over 155K miles now and I don't have any circles in my DRLs with stock bulbs even though the plastic casings are noticeably beat up from the outside by this point.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yeah mine is much fainter than indicated by the OP. Ours has always been in the PNW so I expect we have a milder climate than most, not hotter or warmer, so I don’t see how that would be a likely variable. Not really sure. I suspect some kind of contaminant in the air that “bakes” onto the interior lens surface. Mine looked like it would wipe off from the inside but it is so minor that I didn’t want to bother removing the light to get in there & clean the lens. There doesn’t appear to be any structural deformation of the lens itself.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Not really sure. I suspect some kind of contaminant in the air that “bakes” onto the interior lens surface. Mine looked like it would wipe off from the inside but it is so minor that I didn’t want to bother removing the light to get in there & clean the lens. There doesn’t appear to be any structural deformation of the lens itself.
I see. I wonder if it could be excessive moisture or lack of thereof?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts