Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking to go to the outer banks, and possibly drive up the beach(Allowed there)

Is this doable in the MDX? I have a 2007 and I have 0 experience with anything off road

·
Registered
881 Posts
Don't know definitively, but would think the SH-AWD would be great in the sand.

·
Registered
818 Posts
The SH-AWD is great, so you should be fine if you stick to the more packed areas and not venture off into some dunes. Best thing is to watch where there are vehicles that are similar and if they are good you will be too. If you see Jeeps with oversized tires don't assume you can follow them. Also, you can reduce your tire pressure to 15-20 PSI to give you a larger footprint at each tire. Even the Jeep guys do this and there will be air up stations near the entry/exit points, so don't forget to air back up before hitting the road.

Do some rules homework here first

Edit: A quick scan of the rules shows you are required to air down to 20 PSI or lower.

Reactions: RainGoat

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great thanks! any tips on how to drive on the sand to avoid getting stuck? There is only 1 tow truck on that beach and he is not cheap :'(

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
dont get close to the water to avoid sinking, don't floor it if you get stuck. Bring some wooden boards or spare mats to help you get unstuck if you get stuck. Shovel/hand tools to dig isn't a bad idea if you are worried.

Reactions: bananaX

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Piece of cake...

Reactions: bananaX

·
Registered
250 Posts
The SH-AWD is great, so you should be fine if you stick to the more packed areas and not venture off into some dunes. Best thing is to watch where there are vehicles that are similar and if they are good you will be too. If you see Jeeps with oversized tires don't assume you can follow them. Also, you can reduce your tire pressure to 15-20 PSI to give you a larger footprint at each tire. Even the Jeep guys do this and there will be air up stations near the entry/exit points, so don't forget to air back up before hitting the road.

Do some rules homework here first

Edit: A quick scan of the rules shows you are required to air down to 20 PSI or lower.
Ditto this - I have lots of offroad experience in my other 4x4s, nevertheless I’ve often found myself taking the MDX out on the OR or WA coast. Your clearance is limited & you don’t have any locking differentials. Avoid loose, silty sand & stay on packed sand. The area just above the tideline is usually packed & firm. I’d probably stick to 18psi as you don’t want to pop a bead. Don’t forget to wash off your undercarriage when you get home. Even if you don’t get wet, there’s plenty of salt in that sand you kick up. Have fun.

If you have a rear hitch, get a $15 receiver with shackle & an inexpensive strap - without hooks. Don’t ever pull off the ball on a hitch. A 2” strap can fit in the receiver & just use the pin but in rare cases the pin deforms & won’t come out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I’ve driven on OBX’s sand in my 11 MDX plenty of times and its decent and doable but not great.

Mandatory is lowering your tire psi,
I do 17psi but anything 15-20psi is good.
Traction control needs to be turned off but once you lower your tire psi to 15-20 traction control cannot be turned off due to the low tire psi light on. Good Speed/Momentum is key to sand driving for mdx dont stop or slow down unless you have too. Staying closer to the water side is better as the sand is more compact and closer to the dunes side is softer sand and its the direction you have to drive when going back home but just keep decent speed going and you should be fine.

Its a lot of preparation to drive on the beach (tire pump/inflator, tire gauge, tow straps, a shovel, wooden boards, a friend to tow you out, etc)
it could be lots of fun or it could ruin your entire day getting stuck out there. Good luck

I actually had to tow out a 13 MDX the other day cause they loss momentum in soft sand and got stuck bad. Created a traffic line of cars trying to get by too.
(I was driving my diesel truck not my MDX)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I’ve driven on OBX’s sand in my 11 MDX plenty of times and its decent and doable but not great.

Mandatory is lowering your tire psi,
I do 17psi but anything 15-20psi is good.
Traction control needs to be turned off but once you lower your tire psi to 15-20 traction control cannot be turned off due to the low tire psi light on. Good Speed/Momentum is key to sand driving for mdx dont stop or slow down unless you have too. Staying closer to the water side is better as the sand is more compact and closer to the dunes side is softer sand and its the direction you have to drive when going back home but just keep decent speed going and you should be fine.

Its a lot of preparation to drive on the beach (tire pump/inflator, tire gauge, tow straps, a shovel, wooden boards, a friend to tow you out, etc)
it could be lots of fun or it could ruin your entire day getting stuck out there. Good luck

I actually had to tow out a 13 MDX the other day cause they loss momentum in soft sand and got stuck bad. Created a traffic line of cars trying to get by too.
(I was driving my diesel truck not my MDX)
not stopping is going to be hard, we plan on staying on the beach for the day :)

Thanks for the input, super helpful.

·
Registered
738 Posts
It's all about NOT stopping on wet sand. The weight of any vehicle will displace the water out of the wet sand and allow the tires to sink. The remaining wet sand forms a vacuum around the sunk tires and you will have to dig yourself out, with boards.

Walk to the area where the tide recedes and just stand in one place for about 5 minutes. You'll sink and you'll feel the suction that forms under and around your feet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts