Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - first - had my truck almost 6 months - rocks - but we are planning to drive to florida from NJ (about 19 hours) - The kicker is I have twins - 2 years old. I don't think they can spend 10 hours a day (we are planning to doit in 2 days) to, and then back.

Has anyone tried this? Any tips (besides get a lot of videos) Is 2 years old too young to sit in the car- The issue is they are too big to sit in our laps for a plan ride and tickets will be about 350/person or more - plus need to get a rental car - about another 800 bux..

Any help? Prayers?

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Since you say you have alot videos, I assume you already have RES.
Just plan on alot of breaks. I went with my wife and child who was less than a year and that was hard.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Me too.

I'm going to L.A. two days from now. (6 hrs one way) Will be back the same day. My kids are 2 months old and a 1 and half year old. I have no RES. There's a lot of rest area tho. But will only take a break when they start cryin. :roadtrip:
A prayer B4 leaving definitely helps. Make sure u dont fall asleep, theres more things to worry about when going on a road trip. :eek:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Try driving at night. At bedtime, put the kids in their pajamas, then put them into the MDX. Drive all night trading off with your wife. You should get 8-10 hours of drive time before the kids wake up.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
We drove to DC from Chicago

with our 3 month old & his 22 month old sister. He was fine for stretches of about 3 hours -- that is when his "hunger alarm" would kick in.

Our daughter could go longer in her car seat -- about four hours at a stretch. She liked to have her blanket, a sippy cup of water (she would often 'drop' it just so mommy would pick it up...) a small toy (Happy Meal type dolls and cars seemed fine) would entertain her for an hour or so. She also loves to toss her blanket over her head and play "disappear" -- kind of peek-a-boo extreme.

We don't have RES, frankly I think she is too young. Maybe in a year or so it would come in handy...

We made excellent time. The Indiana Tollway, Ohio & PA Turnpikes all moved well -- 70-75 MPH is entirely achievable. When we did stop at the fast food rest areas one of us would first change one diaper while the other fueled the MDX. Then feed the kids. Feed ourselves.Then walk around/play as much as possible (on the theory that maybe we could get another changing in...) We spent at least 40 minutes at the rest areas, sometimes over an hour. When we didn't have kids we would be in & out in about 10 minutes plus fuel time. :D

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
I'd do the plane thing. I sat my youngest one in my lap when she was 2 years old and did not have to pay. However, the flight attendant did make a comment, "If they can tie their shoes, they should have their own seat." Mind you, my daughter was wearing velcro sneakers so the comment was more of a criticism. However, my wife and I did get a chuckle when she dropped a beverage on another passenger who immediately became irate. Somewhere in the background, I'm sure she heard me mumble, "good for you."

Take the plane, save your patience for the theme parks.

·
Registered
11,137 Posts
If you've ruled out flying, then just plan plenty of stops. Agree with RPitterle that driving at night would be best or giving them some Nyquil!:2:

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Technically airline rules (I've been in the airline industry for 8 years) are 2 years and older need their own ticket. They could give you a hard time and if you had ti buy a ticket on the spot it would be much more than $350. I wouldn't chance it.

Driving at night is what I do with the little ones. Remember they will probably take 2 or 3 naps during the drive time if in the day. Between naps, playing, breaks and movies I think they will be fine.

Good luck!

·
Registered
733 Posts
If it's more than a couple hour drive, I'll also vouch for night driving ... learned that VERY quickly. Only difference here is the Mrs and I both stay awake to make sure we BOTH stay awake.

·
Registered
93 Posts
We drove to Florida with our kids 5 and 2 last July and it was fine. The kids LOVED watching movies, and we stopped every 4 hours or so and they didn't even blink. Just keep their favorite movies in the car, and they will take a nap during the day at one point. We drove the first day 15 hours, and the second 6 hours or so. We were going to South Florida, so it took a while. The kids had fun, and they did have snacks in the car to keep them entertained. We also had other toys, other than movies to keep the occupied if they got bored of watching. I personally don't believe in driving at night, because of fatigue, but it would help you get very far without even a peep from them. We drove during the day, leaving our house at 3:30AM and stopping around 5:30PM. It worked out great and we plan on driving next July as well. We go down for around 2 weeks, so it's nicer to have our own car with us.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here's a whole different idea.
Buy an entry-level motorhome. We bought our first Winnebago about 28 years ago. Our three kids were 3, 6 & 9, and we were considering a new van, but could get into an entry level motorhome for just a little more money. Best thing we have ever done!

We have owned 6 since then and are now traveling with our grandkids. With a motorhome, you have lots of room, beds, bath and kitchen. Kids feel they are at home, but yet on the road. Kids love to travel that way - so makes parents happier also. Much less hassle than flying or being packed in a car.

RVs are booming right now, partly because of boomers getting near retirement age, but also, because younger people are discovering it's a great way to travel with kids!

By the way, your MDX is "towable", so you can bring it along too, if you like!

·
Registered
715 Posts
dtomlinson said:
Here's a whole different idea.
Buy an entry-level motorhome.
Or rent one--see if you like it first.

Four hours is about the max for 2-year olds, and diaper changes at that point are an absolute must for extra comfort. Stop a lot and get out for a walk since it's vacation and everyone could use a break anyway. :cool:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Have you thought about driving overnight? You could bang out 12 hours and the kids wouldnt even know it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the info...

First - no to the motorhome - my wife is 4'8 and barely can see to drive the mdx, let alone a motorhome. I had a durango before this - she could not even drive forget about a motorhome.

As for RES - no - I have an ac converter hooked to a laptop 12" screen/dvd. Made a holder fits between the seats. Kids are 2 - so not sure how long the movies will do - they barely watch them now.

As for driving at night, I am not sure about it. Our plan was on drive the other entertain the kids (reading, playing, activities, in the back seat) Plan was to do 9-10 hours each day - stay over 1/2 way. We are going to Del Ray so it is about 18 hours. I am assuming that it will take about 2-3 stops per day - just to stretch at least get gas - food etc.

The one thing I want to buy is a some kind of tray so the kids can draw etc - in the car - have not found anything for the car seats.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Be sure to make some dry runs with the kids of at least thirty minutes; my two-year-old was very prone to car sickness when we first got our 'X. Time and familiarity has cured him....
I hate to advocate drugs, but Dramamine for children (the orange, chewable kind) has worked wonders for us on transcontinental flights (12+ hours!) and long drives. Frequent stops and DVD's are equally effective. Good luck!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BTW we do monthly runs to my folks about 1.5 hours away .. the usually sleep the whole way. So the kids are ok in the car.

·
Registered
715 Posts
BostonX said:
I hate to advocate drugs, but Dramamine for children (the orange, chewable kind) has worked wonders for us
Same here. We resorted to crushing and dissolving a quarter-tablet in his sippy cup juice/water mixture. Seems to work better than force-feeding, even if it is "chewable". With two hours of driving on mountain roads before we reach the interstate, we've become semi-experts on toddler car-sickness. :16:

·
Registered
110 Posts
The family and I drove down to Florida from Queens at the end of August. I would say your best bet is to leave in the late afternoon, stop for dinner somewhere along the turnpike or in delaware or maryland. Drive all night while the kids are sleeping, stop for gas a few times, in the morning you should be in Georgia or Jacksonville depending on how fast you drive, get breakfast then by 11-12 you should be in the Orlando area. Thats what we did, went straight for 18 hours. I was able to drive from NYC to Georgia then wifey took over to Jacksonville.

Its not as bad as it seems, just make sure you get a good radar detector for the drive and lots of Red Bull!!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Traveling from one location to other with the children is always very dificult because lot of people want to enjoy in the holidays and always look for the Hotels Near Me so that they don't need to drive long with the children and also this help to save lot of time during the travel.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts