Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
CORRECTION: the torque converter does engage in D4 at speeds over 60mph.

I forgot to shift up to D5 the other day and was playing with throttle tip in and the rpms were directly related to vehicle speed in D4. At lower vehicle speeds the engine rpm will increase more than vehicle speeds due to the torque converter not being locked.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Gonna try this later on Today, after a TC and Tranny replacement I'll see how much difference it makes.

·
Registered
432 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Rumble Strip

This sound is driving me crazy. I've been driving in D5 since I purchased the vehicle. I have the exact same symptoms as everyone else. I'm going to drive home in D4. Thanks everyone for the info.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a brand new torque converter and a reman installed in my 01 mdx today and stumbled upon this thread. It's way better than it was before we replaced the tranny but it acts funny in d5 compared to d4. I did some experimenting. D4 is almost like flawless driving. D5 seems to be off somehow. It even makes a slight ground sound occasionally when driving very slow in d5. D4, nothing but smooth sailing. What Ticky transmissions these things are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
LOL old post, but my wife and i recently traded in our jeep patriot latitude for an 05 mdx with all the bells and whistles, sooo from what ive been reading its best to drive in D4 mainly through the city(30-45) but when you reach the highway (60mph) switch to D5? just wanna gety the most out of our X, it just hit 91,000 and would love another 199,000 lol... you get my drift. rides fine and shifts smooth, please someone correct me on this post, im may be getting my words twisted. Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
LOL old post, but my wife and i recently traded in our jeep patriot latitude for an 05 mdx with all the bells and whistles, sooo from what ive been reading its best to drive in D4 mainly through the city(30-45) but when you reach the highway (60mph) switch to D5? just wanna gety the most out of our X, it just hit 91,000 and would love another 199,000 lol... you get my drift. rides fine and shifts smooth, please someone correct me on this post, im may be getting my words twisted. Thanks!
Great question, I'd love to know the same for ours as well.

From what i know D5 uses all gears, D4 uses first 4 gears and D3 uses only the first three. I could see how staying in lower gears may save you some brake pads in city driving, But i'd love to understand how this would ever affect transmission problems? Is it because you are simply not shifting gears as much?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Oh no the bottom line is we pay $2600 for a transmission and it's not working properly so at some point I'm probably just gonna take it back but it does drive better Indy for our warranty covers us for two years unlimited

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
THis is solved.

Acura must have a fix.

Here is why.

What everyone reports as rumble strip feel is exactly what a person driving an autostick or stick feels when they are driving in a gear or two above what they should be driving! In a CHEAP COMPASS I was at 30 MPH and double shifted up to 6 gear from 3rd and I got the same feel.

5th gear is shifted at the wrong time! THe clutching and gearing is all wrong. In a Jeep CJ same thing. If you know how to drive a clutch driven vehicle go out and drive one or have someone you know with one try it.. They will tell you it is exactly what you are experiencing.

Yes, when I shift to D5 going on the expressway it indeed feels right until I slow to 40 then the thing feels like it is trying to gocoast or hit a lower gear.

Does anyone know if Acura updaetd firmware or something to fix this?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts