Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone, I hope everyone is enjoying their summer. I had written once before about my driver side window problem and thanks to you guys I had that fixed. But since then something else has occurred that is pretty weird and I wonder if anyone can help me with this. The previous problem was that after having it brought back from doing some mechanical work on it and the battery had been disconnected my window would not automatically go up or down when pressed completely in the up or the down position. That was fixed with your help and some clever reprogramming That Acura has within its system. Now the problem seems to be that when I pull the window switch completely upwards for it to automatically go up on the way it will go halfway up and then come right back down again. When The window is completely closed and I press all the way down on the switch it has no problems coming all the way down but when I pull it all the way up so that the window can automatically Close on its own it reaches sometimes the halfway point sometimes almost all the way up and then comes right back down again. Sometimes when I do pull the switch all the way up so that the window will close and it does close. Does this require some form of reprogramming again? Any ideas here? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

P.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
From the manual:

Try resetting the power window control unit....

1) Turn ignition switch OFF
2) Turn ignition switch ON to position II
3) Lower the driver's window all the way down by pushing the driver's switch to the second detent (auto down) - when the window reaches the bottom, hold the driver's window switch in the auto DOWN position for 2 seconds.
4) Raise the driver's window all the way up without stopping by pulling the driver's switch to the second detent (auto up) when the window reaches the top, hold the driver's window switch in the auto UP position for 2 seconds.

If the window does not work in AUTO, reset the power window control unit according to the above procedure again.

(sorry - my first edit was wrong - follow the process above)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the instructions. I tried it a couple of times but to no avail. It still will go up half way and back down. Any ideas? Thank you

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
There's a magnet and a Hall IC unit on the window drive motor. It sends pulses to the window control unit, and if it detects that the pulses stop (which would happen if your hand was jammed into the opening window), it will stop and reverse the motor.

There are a LOT of things that could probably cause the problem you're seeing - the Hall IC could be bad or misaligned, there could be a bad connection (including a ground), or a problem with the power window control unit. It looks like the PWCU is in the driver's door, ahead of the control switches.

I suppose if this was my MDX, I'd pop the door panel and start looking around for an obvious problem, and would re-seat all the power window connections. You'd probably need an oscilloscope to absolutely troubleshoot the Hall IC, but if everything else looked right, I'd probably just spring for an aftermarket motor / regulator (which will have a new Hall IC / magnet)... hey, the regulators eventually fail anyway and worst case you'll just prevent future problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts