Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The plastic trim piece, that is behind the power seat controls (the large, longer piece) was cracked near the front screw hole when I recently purchased my '03 Touring. Since I've owned it, it's pulled through so the piece is hanging from the back screw.

The piece looks easy enough to replace I think but I can't find one anywhere!

Anyone have any ideas exactly what that piece would be called and where I might find one? Can I order it through Acura without spending $1,000?

Thanks in advance!

Nick

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I can save you some money...

I had the same issue with my '04 MDX - both of the recessed screw "platforms" broke off the end of the "tube", leaving the panel hanging by only the third screw. It pained me to spend $70 or so for a new panel (and then I would have had to fiddle with taking the seat controls out and reinstalling them on the new panel). I tried gluing the broken bits back in, but that didn't hold for even a little while (if you're not infinitely careful when getting out, your left thigh will put considerable pressure on the panel and break the glue bonds).

What I ended up doing was a lot of research to find a real fix. I found a plastic "cap" that was the right size, and modified it by drilling a hole in it, and cutting it to the right length. Then it was just a matter of epoxying the "cap" over the tube, and reinstalling it. I bought extra caps knowing there would be others who are looking for a solution. Drop me an IM and I can send you a "kit" if you want to try to fix your panel instead of replace it.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I couldn't find the photos I took, but just came across them (still stuck on a recently retired phone).

Here's how the panels break...

and here are the "caps" I put together to fix the panel...

Just schmear some epoxy on the inside of the caps, slide them over the "tubes" with the ends broken out, let it set up and re-install the screws. I did this about six months ago, and the fix is still holding fine, and I'd expect it to last a long time, since the caps have a little more give than the original brittle plastic.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
You could also plastic weld it possibly. You would be amazed the uses you can find for a plastic welder! A good long-term investment.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I couldn't find the photos I took, but just came across them (still stuck on a recently retired phone)...this about six months ago, and the fix is still holding fine, and I'd expect it to last a long time, since the caps have a little more give than the original brittle plastic.
This is exactly what I'm looking for! I was thinking replacement might not be an option because of it's age but I would love to try repairing before replacing for sure. I will send you a PM now.

Thanks, guys!

Nick

·
Registered
137 Posts
Funny, same thing happened to my Pilot. I just got a new trim piece off ebay and replaced it. 12 minute job start to finish.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm dealing with this same thing right now. I used g2 glue to glue the plugs back on and I think I'm going to use some heavy sand blasting tape over them to try and keep them on

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Bratcop, if you want a couple of the orange caps (to glue on over your fixed mounts), let me know and I'll mail a couple out to you.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks habbyguy, I'll keep that in mind. I'm going to see if this holds, if not I'll hit u up. Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I bought a bunch of them, but am nowhere near them for the next month. Drop me a PM after the holidays if you still need some and I'll send you the details.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this was a long time ago but this is exactly the issue I'm dealing with. Would love to get those caps that habbyguy created, or to get any other feedback or ideas anyone may have. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts