Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I did a search and could not find this discussed anywhere else, so I decided to post this.

I just got back from the dealer to finally install the Body Side Moldings and also to fix a couple of problems. I informed them that during U-turns or sharp turns, the driver's seat shifts from one side to the other. It almost feels like a shifting feel as if something was loose.

As it turns out, there is a Service bulletin on this problem. The bulletin number is 20-025 and it addresses putting a shim on the driver's seat.

I just thought that I should let my fellow X's colleagues out there know about this and understand that if there is a bulletin on this then it means that this in not an isolated incident. ;)

Get your seat checked and you won't go sliding around everywhere.:D

I also had them replace the clip for the sunvisor. I had no problem pulling down the visor, but when I tried to put it back up the normal position, it popped out of the clip too easily. They replaced the clip for me. So far, so good...:12:

·
Registered
70 Posts
The driver seat on my '03 does the same thing. How long did it take the service department to fix? did any parts have to be ordered?

·
Registered
671 Posts
If it is the same problem as the seat shift on the 02, it has been discussed before in another thread. I had mine shimmed, and now it shifts front to back. The dealer is going to install a new rail as soon as I have time to leave it with them for 1/2 day or so. It's really no problem since they are on my way to work and will give me a loaner car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rjmitche said:
Is this the same problem mentioned in the knowledgebase?

http://www.acuramdx.org/kb_item.php?id=27

Seems like a pretty old problem to still be happening in the '03s.
It sounds like the same problem and I am just as shocked that this was a problem that was not addressed in the '03. :3:

The fix was a quick one. I took it into the dealer and they fixed it along with installing my BSM in less than 4 hours. Drove around afterwords and it feels like a brand new seat.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Is this service bulletin (20-025) on the website? I tried a search here and google but could not find it.

Thanks,
Ken K

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kdkrone said:
Is this service bulletin (20-025) on the website? I tried a search here and google but could not find it.

Thanks,
Ken K
No, this service bulletin was an internal number used by Acura at the Service office. I don't know if that is different than the ones used by google.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just had my MDX checked by the dealer. The seat was making a clicking noise everytime I hung a turn.

They installed seat shims:
FP Number 81599-S84-999 SHIM SET

So far, so good.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I had the identical problem on my '01 passenger seat. They ended up installing new seat rails and the problem was solved. It was very disconcerting to have the seat feel shakey as the X went around turns, etc.

I haven't noticed this on my '03

·
Registered
35 Posts
Seat shims....should I do it now?

Hey folks,

Occasionally, I have noticed a distinct thunk while making a sharp turn, almost like something hard and heavy sliding under my seat and hitting it. Is this similar to what you experienced. Since it has only happened a couple of time (7500 miles now), should I worry about it? Does it seem to get progressively worse?

Your thoughts are appreciated!

·
Registered
671 Posts
I had the seat rails replaced, and it seems to have fixed the problem -- remember I had the shims installed and the lateral movement turned into fore/aft movement! Now I get no movement at all.

MtnMDX -- my noise was also like something under the seat but not something real heavy. In fact, I installed a 6 disc CD changer under the driver's seat, and I thought maybe it was sliding back and forth, but it wasn't!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Seat shims....should I do it now?

MtnMDX said:
Hey folks,

Occasionally, I have noticed a distinct thunk while making a sharp turn, almost like something hard and heavy sliding under my seat and hitting it. Is this similar to what you experienced. Since it has only happened a couple of time (7500 miles now), should I worry about it? Does it seem to get progressively worse?

Your thoughts are appreciated!
That was the noise that I heard and felt. I noticed it right away and took it in. As I read all the threads, I think that this is the same problem. Fixing it was fast and easy. My seat feels solid and secure now :cool:

·
Registered
840 Posts
Aw crap, I thought it was my mind playing tricks on me...I guess my 2003 has the same problem. I'll bring her in ASAP. I hope I don't have to drop off the car for that...just a 5 min thing I hope.

·
Registered
671 Posts
It took 1/2 day to replace my seat rails and a couple hours when they put in the shims...good luck on the 5 minute fix!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Gotta go back....

Even though I had called ahead and asked that my seat be fixed, the dealer refused to order parts until after they inspected it!?! I would think something this common, especially when service bulletins address the issue, should be handled in one stop. But NOOOOOO

So, I have to schedule another day off work and travel to the dealership--150 miles away!

Are any of your dealerships open for service on Saturday? I sure wish mine was.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
We just had the 7500 done on our X last week. Basically had a laundry list of small things needing fixed/replaced. The major item was the driver's seat shift. After keeping our X for 6 days, the loaner was sweet - 2003 TL-S, all they did to the seat was tighten the bolts. They said they wouldn't put shims in, but if it started happening again, bring it back. (Well, duh!) Guess what?! The first time I drove it on my daily school run, I felt that same ol' familiar shift! I don't know what it'll take to get the rails replaced, which is the fix I would prefer. Good luck to all having this problem. BTW, our seat has had this problem since we first brought it home. Where and when is a TSB going to surface about this problem?:3:

·
Registered
671 Posts
Since the 'tightening the bolts fix' is the easiest and cheapest, they'll certainly start there. If that fixes the problem then there's no reason to use the shims. If the problem persists, the shims is the next easiest and cheapest fix. Of course, the most costly fix is replacing the rails, and this is only done if the other fixes don't work. This procedure seems to be the most logical. I would guess that the 'tightening the bolts fix' must've had at least some success or they wouldn't waste their time doing it. I also know from other people on this forum that the shims seem to work in some cases. Thus, it would be illogical for the dealer to immediately replace the rails. The unfortunate result is that some customers have to make multiple trips to the dealer to get the problem solved.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
AcuraMDX2002:

I realized this, but thanks for stating the obvious.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Always glad to help out!! :2:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts