Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned my black/black MDX now for just over a week. I like everything about it EXCEPT for ONE thing. This ONE thing is really upsetting me. In fact - I'm SERIOUSLY considering selling it. [something I do NOT want to do] The ONE THING is the seat. I can NOT get comfortable no matter what I do. I think I've moved that seat every which about a hundred times. I'm trying to figure out exactly what bothers me the most. The seat part of the seat is TOO short. The back part of the seat is shaped wrong. [at least for me!] I'm a big guy - but that seat makes me feel as though I'm Andre the Giant. VERY UNCOMFORTABLE!! I've been trying to find a solution to this problem. I need some help!! IF I sell my MDX - then what?? I went through weeks of searching and studying and concluded that the MDX was 'the' one to buy. The only POSSIBLE solutions I can think of are replacing the seats [with what - I don't know] or going to a 'shop' and having the seat RE-shaped.

I talked about this at the Edmunds board. But thought I'd see if any of you have any ideas. I'd appreciate ANY help.

Thanks!!
Craig

Cars I own!! [are we supposed to do this??!!]

2001 Acura MDX [black/black]
1998 Volkswagon New Beetle TDI [white/black]
1991 Acura NSX [red/black]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys!!

Thanks david, Acura4Life and Todd!! I appreciate your help.

Todd - you're right. I'm finding it difficult to enjoy my MDX - thanks to the problem I'm having with the seat. The very first thing I notice whenever I get into my MDX is how my lower back hits something hard in the seat. [the area BELOW where the lumbar support goes in and out] I like to SIT in a seat - with my back firmly against the backrest. I'm starting to wonder - IF I could remove the part that bothers me [or take out some of the padding] then PERHAPS I'd be more comfortable. Do you think that's possible?? An upholstery shop in town does custom work on seats and I'm thinking about paying them a visit. My ONLY concern is that something could be damaged [seat heater, airbag sensors, etc.] if the seat was altered in any way. Do you think Acura would be of any help?? I'm avoiding contacting them out of fear that they will say 'too bad - not our problem'!!

I'm starting to hear others complain about the seat AND the fact that the steering wheel is off-center. At least I'm not completely alone with this concern!!

Thanks!!
Craig

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks [AGAIN!!] guys!!

Thanks Acura4Life, bluetooth and Todd!!

bluetooth - I seriously considered the Volvo Cross Country. Just wasn't familiar enough with Volvos. [even though I owned a '79 242DL YEARS ago] One of the main reasons I chose the MDX is BECAUSE I of my experience with Honda's. I've owned LOTS of Honda's. I still own my '91 NSX. THAT car - I think - is the best in the world!! The seats are fantastic. Probably WHY I never even thought twice about the seats in the MDX.

Todd - I appreciate your help. DO you think it WOULD be possible to put in different seats [like Recaro, or something] IF I'm willing to give up the driver side 'side' airbag - the seat heater and memory seat thing?? Is the side airbag connected [in any way] to the other airbags?? Funny you should mention the Mercedes-Benz. This is why I'm so upset. I traded IN a '98 ML320 to get this MDX!! The ONLY thing that I regret IS the seats. The MB seats were wonderful. IF my MDX had THOSE seats - I'd finally be able to jump into the MDX 'fan club' without ANY hesitation. As it is now - it's like having a pet you don't want to name because it will make it all that more difficult to get rid of!! [Something I STILL don't want to do with my MDX]

Thanks again. Any other thoughts, guys?? Please don't hesitate to share them with me!!!

Craig

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Guys!!

Hi!!

Thanks Pokey!! I'll keep that in mind. I'm still going to see what can be done. If I wasn't perfectly comfortable in my other cars - I'd KNOW it was ME and NOT the seat!! I'm a big guy. [6'3" tall and about 240lbs] I've noticed, lately, that a LOT of NEW cars are coming out with smaller then usual seats. I guess it makes it LOOK like there's more legroom if the seat is smaller. Who knows!!

Thanks Todd!! I'll have to try out the passenger seat - like you suggested. That way I can [most likely] eliminate the lumbar support thing as being the cause of my discomfort. I appreciate your help. What I'd LOVE to be able to do - to be honest - is to find a set of BMW M3 seats - and put THOSE into my MDX!! [which would be easy to do - if it were NOT for that side airbag thing] Speaking of that airbag... I can't help but think that IF it ever DID go off in an accident - the only thing that would happen is that I would be able to add 'missing arm' to the list of injuries!! :)

Hi Rat!! Good advice. I saw an 'ass' doctor yesterday. He said he's never seen such a oddly shaped butt. I'm going in for surgery next week!! Wish me luck!! :p

I hope that all Americans have a HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Dennis and Todd!!

Hi Dennis!!! I'm almost 98% sure that I'm NOW going to trade in the MDX. I'm looking at what BMW has to offer. Perhaps I'll leave the SUV-world behind and get a 330ci or something. [WITH THE SPORT SEAT OPTION!!] This is all very upsetting AND frustrating. I can't help but wonder if Acura hired 'Billy Barty' to design the seats!! As far as I'm concerned - sitting in the MDX is like sitting on a dozen basketballs. It's THAT uncomfortable. The steering wheel being off-center is also annoying!! Good luck with whatever you decide to do!! I posted a long-winded message comparing my 1998 Mercedes ML320 to the MDX [I traded in the ML!] in the 'comparisons' section. :)

Hi Todd!!! I really DO appreciate your help!! YES!! I took TWO test drives in the MDX. Mind you - neither one lasted longer then about 20 minutes or so. Besides - it's not exactly a 'real' drive when you have a salesman sitting next to you. I drove a 2000 ML320 once last spring when I brought MY ML in for service. The seats - as far as I could tell - were exactly the same. I say this for no other reason then the fact that I DIDN'T notice anything different with the seats. I DID, however, notice the new stereo the ML has. VERY confusing. A big 'door' has to open in order to access the cassette player. Silly - I think!! Take care!! Craig!! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.