Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I have a 2017 MDX. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that the entire inner part of the driver's side door lock was missing (where you put the physical key). It looks like there are some broken pieces inside where the lock should be and nothing else. I don't know how long it's been that way but maybe someone tried to break in. Nothing has been missing from the car and there are no other damages and the door locks/unlocks fine with the remote. My first question: Is replacing the lock a big deal ?

My second question may be related to the above. One day, I got in the car and heard a clicking sound when I pressed the ignition button. I put the car on the trickle charger for about 3 hrs and tried again. The car would not start and I heard the same clicking noises. So I jump started the car and my wife took the car to the parts store. They put the battery tester on it and said everything is ok with the battery. The next morning the battery was completely dead (no lights came on). So I thought it must be the battery. I pulled it (a heavy beast) and took it to the parts store. They put the tester on it again and said it was bad.

So I got a new battery and everything started working. We went on a 600 mile road trip and the car had no problems until yesterday (3 wks after I replaced the battery). This time there was no clicking sound but all the lights dimmed on and off. When I came back to the car, I noticed that a ticking sound was playing inside the car from behind the dash (with it completely off). Here is a short video of what it's doing (you have to turn up the sound):

·
Registered
777 Posts
I assume with the door lock cylinder missing that allows water into the door through that hole? Has it been raining or did your trip involve driving on wet roads where a lot of spray was kicked up by other cars? Water in electrical connectors causes all sorts of issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We got some snow on the trip but the car worked fine last week. It was sitting in the garage all week with the exception of a an occasional trip to the grocery store.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2015 MDX got broken into by forcing the mechanical door lock. The lock cylinder was easy to replace on my own. I ordered the part on-line, took it to a lock shop to have it re-keyed to match the original, and then installed it. I was charged $20 for the re-key service. Note that the bolt that releases the lock cylinder is in the door jamb. Didn't realize that I needn't remove the inner door panel until after I tore into it. Hope your repair goes as smoothly as mine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts