Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

DriveRight CarChip OBDII

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  XStatic 
#1 ·
Has anybody used one of these on a MDX?

http://www.davisnet.com/drive/products/carchip.asp

New in 2003!
We're pleased to introduce CarChip, the smartest OBDII scan tool you can buy. CarChip installs in seconds and lets you troubleshoot your engine, log your car's performance, monitor driver performance, and most importantly, save money, time, and worry!

CarChip installs in seconds and lets you:

Troubleshoot your engine.
Help identify specific problems, trace intermittent ones, and eliminate guesswork in repairs.

Log your car's performance.
View straightforward graphs that show summary and detail reports for each trip.

Monitor driver performance.
Set thresholds for speed, acceleration, and braking, then see when they are exceeded. Great for training new drivers, managing fleets, and reviewing teen drivers' performance.

Save money, time, and worry.
Clear your own check engine light; walk into a repair shop more informed and confident.

CarChip fits all 1996 and later foreign and domestic vehicles to automatically record and store 75 hours of trip details, including:

Time, date and distance for each trip
Speed logged every 5 seconds
Hard acceleration and decelerations
Engine diagnostic trouble codes and status of other engine parameters when the code occurred
Idle time
Time and date CarChip is connected or disconnected.
In addition to the above features, the advanced model, CarChip E/X stores 300 hours of trip details and measures up to four engine parameters every 5 to 60 seconds (and there are 23 parameters to choose from!).

See less See more
#2 ·
No replies?

Any feedback if this would fit easily where the 2003 OBDII port is.

(I ask because if I got one for my V70 I couldn't close the center console when it was is use).

#3 ·
APEXI makes the similar product for Acuras. It will work on the X. Not so much to improve performance, maybe 5hp at the most but it looks really good. It gives vital performace informations.

#4 ·
#5 ·
Thanks for the info, interesting product but I don't see the similarities.

The driveright chip is simply a data logger to store 300+ hours of sensor data and is a simple plug in device to the OBDII port, no complex installation necessary.

I recently had some strange performance of my Volvo V70 including a puff of smoke at startup which the dealer was unable to reproduce. Finally the thermostat failed, the check engine light came on, and the temperature obviously never came to to a nominal level.

Replacing the thermostat cleared up the puff and has improved performance. Apparently the engine was running rich since it never heated up and unspent fuel built up in the catalyst.

I suspect had I used a data logger like this I might have been able to see a trend of lower engine temps as well as the fuel mixture attempting to compensate. After the fact I realize that my fuel economy had dropped from 22 to 20. It will be interesting to see if that goes back up now. And had I seen the problem myself I could have easily replaced the inexpensive thermostat instead of waiting for the check engine light which results in a minimum $80 charge just to hook up the the diagnostics reader and clear the codes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.