Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys. was hoping someone could help me out. I have a 2010 tech package MDX. bought it in april. got it ceritifed/diagnosed by acura at that time and they said all was good.

just over a week ago, I noticed that the driver side ac only blows out hot air. the rest of the vents blow out cold(even the rear ones) .

not sure what the issue is. I went in for b16 maintenance today at acura and was hoping they could do a complimentary check on the ac but they told me it starts at $125+ to check the ac.

can anyone please advise what I could/should do next? thanks

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
It is possibly a failed air mix motor. You can confirm by finding the motor (move temp adjust to max/min range while looking for motion/noise). You may hear a clicking sound and see the motor moving in a jerking motion.

Fix is a new motor or repair old one (major surgery). See youtube post by "froggy" on repair of similar Lexus air mix motor.

I tried the fix on my 03 MDX and dropped the worm gear on floor never to be found, and installed a new motor (pax side).

good luck

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
any after market motor available? those $200+ motors are cheaply made, no better than other aftermarket stuff.

It is possibly a failed air mix motor. You can confirm by finding the motor (move temp adjust to max/min range while looking for motion/noise). You may hear a clicking sound and see the motor moving in a jerking motion.

Fix is a new motor or repair old one (major surgery). See youtube post by "froggy" on repair of similar Lexus air mix motor.

I tried the fix on my 03 MDX and dropped the worm gear on floor never to be found, and installed a new motor (pax side).

good luck

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
The Acura air mix motor is very similar to the Lexus, especially for guiding a DIY repair. Trickiest part is releasing the external shaft retaining clip (white). Very difficult to do w/o damaging clip. Haven't seen any good "how to's" on this part of the repair.

If worm gear is not a problem (case of Froggy's video), then it may be possible to clean the electrical contacts w/o removing the shaft clip (use brake cleaner), and then spray new contact lube onto the contacts.

I'm not aware of any aftermarket air mix motors when I searched to replaced mine. There are used parts available for less money, but not enough less to get my attention. Particularly since these could suffer from same problem soon.

The pax side air mix motor is easy to reach/remove. I don't know about driver's side since mine was OK.

good luck

·
Registered
798 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem and there is no noise. Is it hard to reach the control valve that probably needs to be replaced?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Where are you from? Where I live my Honda Dealership ran diagnostics and refilled my freon for $55 total? I did have a leak from one of the lines but the ac lasted me all summer. Total bill to get the work done was $350+

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have the same problem and there is no noise. Is it hard to reach the control valve that probably needs to be replaced?
Up under the dash on the passenger side. Helps to take the glove box out, but it's tight and awkward. I've done one of the blend door motors and the temp control motor. Takes about 45 minutes because getting it out involves figuring out the right tools and position, but going back together takes less than 15 minutes of that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have 2007 Acura MDX with ~168,000 miles and the front vents would not blow hot air (only cold air). I took out the Air Mix Motor from the driver side and disassembled it to inspect it for damage. I didn't see any physical damage, but the worm gear did have some play like in froggy's video above (https://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-second-generation-mdx-2007-2013/110682-driver-side-ac-blowing-out-hot-air.html#post1044386). The Air Mix Motor operates a plastic piece that pulls and pushes a cable that operates a valve in the engine compartment. I thought that manually closing/opening the valve via the plastic piece would allow the air temperature to change, but it didn't have this effect. So I gave up and put everything back together. I dropped it off at a mechanic shop and they replaced the Air Mix Motor assembly on the driver side and confirmed the problem is fixed. They are now replacing the Air Mix Motor on the passenger side. Unlike the more common case of broken gear teeth inside the Air Mix Motor assembly it appears the motor failed in my case. Although I still don't know why manually opening/closing the valve that this thing controls didn't result in a noticeable change in temperature.

I think this project is challenging for a novice as a DIY because it's difficult to reach and extract the Air Mix Motor assembly. Even if I was just replacing the Air Mix Motor assembly it would be challenging to line up the arms on the assembly with the plastic pieces that are attached to the cable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts