Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Acura does sell the foam, but it is obscenely expensive. Basically $800ish per seat.

81532-S3V-A31 : Driver bottom
81522-S3V-A52 : Driver back

81132-S3V-A51 : Passenger bottom
81122-S3V-A34 : Passenger back

If you want genuine Acura foam, then I'd grab it from a junk yard. Otherwise, I'd go to an upholstery shop and they can make you custom foam for waaaay less.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Acura does sell the foam, but it is obscenely expensive. Basically $800ish per seat.

81532-S3V-A31 : Driver bottom
81522-S3V-A52 : Driver back

81132-S3V-A51 : Passenger bottom
81122-S3V-A34 : Passenger back

If you want genuine Acura foam, then I'd grab it from a junk yard. Otherwise, I'd go to an upholstery shop and they can make you custom foam for waaaay less.
Yes, priced out OEM and that is why I started this thread....to look for cheaper options. I guess a local upholstery shop is the way to go.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
My trick of splitting the side bolsters and gluing the additional foam into the split worked VERY well for me, and didn't change the "shape" of the foam where the leather lays on it (so no lumps or odd shapes). And of course, it avoided having to do much shaping of the foam, other than the easy trimming of the foam hanging out from the now foam-filled slit. I did add some batting (available from most good fabric stores) over the top of the side bolsters since the mesh / thin foam under the original seat covers was coming apart and was removed (this is what causes the "lumps" under a lot of the leather seat covers).

My seats were pretty flat before I did the fix, and now after another year or so (and about 20,000 miles) they're still nice and firm and comfortable. I do think that it blocks the effectiveness of the seat heaters, but that's not a big problem living in Arizona, and I think the heaters are too hard on the leather to use much anyway (in that respect the extra layer over the top of the middle sections is probably a good thing).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi for anyone else looking to replace foam, my experience (Not DIY) was the upholsterers shop - he only charged me $100 to install a new heating element AND replace some foam, which was perfect - shape is perfect, heat works well, no issues etc. We initially attempted to remove the seat and replace the heater ourselves, but the whole cover removal and replacement was more than we wanted to bite off, so I found a local shop and like said, he only charged $100 and it was well worth it. I think he threw in the foam for free and just charged labor. I gave him a very nice review on Yelp! Cheers.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Wow... $100 is a SMOKIN' deal! Boggles the mind, actually. As much of a DIY'er as I am, I would have gone for your deal in a heartbeat (not that I regret doing it myself). FWIW, I just got back from a 7,500 mile two month road trip and my DIY seat cushion job is still making my nether regions very comfy, and the seat still looks great - the wrinkles that formed because of the original flat foam have pretty much disappeared, so the seat looks like a low-mileage seat, even though it's knocking on 230,000 miles now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.