Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The driver side door won't open on my 2001 MDX (non-nav). I'm original owner and the car hasn't been in any accidents. Took it to the local mechanic who couldn't do anything about it. Then I went to the dealer, who called to say that they can't get it open either. Now they've removed the driver seat, taken off the door panel, and STILL can't get the door open. They're towing it to a body shop to try and saw off the bolts that are holding the latch onto the door. Nobody knows if it will damage the door, nor if it will work. If that doesn't work, they say the'll have to ruin the door to remove it. Nobody in our dealership says they've ever seen this. They claim the factory has never heard of such a problem. Help! Has anyone out there ever heard or experienced this? If so, what did you do?
Thx.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
I will be interested in hearing the results of this. I hope in the end they tell you what it was that caused the door to stick. I cannot imagine why it could not be opened with the panel off.

G

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update on MDX with door that won't open:
The dealer has had my car now for 3 1/2 days, and finally got the door open only after taking it to a body shop. They sawed off the bolts that hold the latch, then had to destroy the latch to get it out. Since the latch was taken out of the door piece by piece, they aren't able to say what caused the problem in the first place. Part of the door panel was damaged during this whole process. Still don't have the car back, but it will be interesting to see if the door or seat feel different (the seat was removed for all of this to happen).
The service manager told me that the body shop had indeed had to do this before (I had the impression that he hadn't seen this before), but when I questioned if it was on an Acura, he said no.
I've since called Acura Corporate to complain of this highly unusual problem. I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
RobDog said:
Update on MDX with door that won't open:
The dealer has had my car now for 3 1/2 days, and finally got the door open only after taking it to a body shop. They sawed off the bolts that hold the latch, then had to destroy the latch to get it out. Since the latch was taken out of the door piece by piece, they aren't able to say what caused the problem in the first place. Part of the door panel was damaged during this whole process. Still don't have the car back, but it will be interesting to see if the door or seat feel different (the seat was removed for all of this to happen).
The service manager told me that the body shop had indeed had to do this before (I had the impression that he hadn't seen this before), but when I questioned if it was on an Acura, he said no.
I've since called Acura Corporate to complain of this highly unusual problem. I'll keep you updated.
Fascinating story. I just looked at the door latch mechanism on my 2001 MDX and now understand why the door panel would have to be damaged to get it off when you can't get the door open. I'm anxious to see if you eventually find out what component broke and/or malfunctioned. I hope it is an extremely rare event too. Apparently it was something that could not be overcome with the manual manipulation of the mechanism once they got the panel off....weird but believeable....stranger things have happened with cars.

What's the bill come to? I guess that remains to be seen depending on what Acura Corporate says about your situation.

Good luck to you....the rest of us with 2001's may need you as a case history if we encounter the same gremlin.

VR

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I still don't have the car back. The dealer/body shop has had it for 9 days. They opened the door 7 days ago.
A very frustrating experience. Acura corporate will only say that it's a freak accident and that they can't guarantee the reliability of the new latch since they don't know what caused the latch to fail in the first place. They will not offer any further support, nor a new door. Don't know why I expected that they would, but it seems like a reputable manufacturer will usually offer something when there's a "freak accident" on their product.
A $600, 9 day journey that's still not over. Still waiting to see if the seat that was pulled functions properly, or if there's any difference in the feel of the door/latch. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
21 Posts
RobDog said:
Well, I still don't have the car back. The dealer/body shop has had it for 9 days. They opened the door 7 days ago.
A very frustrating experience. Acura corporate will only say that it's a freak accident and that they can't guarantee the reliability of the new latch since they don't know what caused the latch to fail in the first place. They will not offer any further support, nor a new door. Don't know why I expected that they would, but it seems like a reputable manufacturer will usually offer something when there's a "freak accident" on their product.
A $600, 9 day journey that's still not over. Still waiting to see if the seat that was pulled functions properly, or if there's any difference in the feel of the door/latch. Will keep you posted.
Well, thanks for the update. Sorry to hear Acura isn't showing any spine and/or sign of helping you financially. Seems to me that if they had some sense of customer service or sensativity to public image they'd be scrambling to help you. Too bad the typical customer doesn't have the time to picket dealers or contact the local news/consumer protection reporter when stuff like this happens. Just think of the impact a story like yours would make on the evening news. I can see the picket sign now....."Acura took 10 days and charged $600 to repair a door latch!" Sounds like it may actually become more of a horror story than that too, sorry to say.

Good luck.

VR

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally fixed

After 10 days of keeping my car, the driver door was finally fixed. They were never able to tell what caused the problem since they had to destroy the latch to get it out. Everything is put back together and looks great. They were able to salvage most of my door panel, so the price dropped from $900 to $330 (part of the reason, I'm told, that it took so long to get the car back to me). That's good news to my pocketbook. In the end, Acura corporate wouldn't do anything to help, just telling me it's a freak thing. Would loved it if they had stepped up to help out in some way. The dealer was pretty nice in trying to fix things as cheaply as possible, and I had a loaner car the entire time it was at the shop. It could have been a lot worse.

·
Registered
32 Posts
After 10 days of keeping my car, the driver door was finally fixed. They were never able to tell what caused the problem since they had to destroy the latch to get it out. Everything is put back together and looks great. They were able to salvage most of my door panel, so the price dropped from $900 to $330 (part of the reason, I'm told, that it took so long to get the car back to me). That's good news to my pocketbook. In the end, Acura corporate wouldn't do anything to help, just telling me it's a freak thing. Would loved it if they had stepped up to help out in some way. The dealer was pretty nice in trying to fix things as cheaply as possible, and I had a loaner car the entire time it was at the shop. It could have been a lot worse.
Well this happened to my 2001 MDX today. I took it to the dealer & they now have to take it to the body shop for them to give me an estimate on how much it's going to be to: cut the door & remove the latch. repair the door & paint it back. Lord, I am praying for favor.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Or you could enter and exit from the passenger door. Headroom is pretty good and the center console isn't too high. There you go, free fix.

·
Registered
301 Posts
This is the strangest thing I have ever heard. Bizarre............

·
Registered
118 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've encountered the same problem. I destroyed the latch to remove it and open the drivers door. So i dont what causes the problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts