Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2010 MDX Elite, 2019 RDX A-Spec, 2018 RDX, 2009 MDX, 2002 MDX, 1993 Integra, 2013 Accord Coupe V6
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ok. What is the cost for a rebuild? $800 plus shipping for a complete new propeller shaft.

It would be best to contact them for that information but I suspect that the shipping will be the killer.

FYI, It's costing me $575 plus tax CDN ($447 USD) for the rebuild.
I've worked with these fellas in the past and their work is excellent.

·
Registered
2010 MDX Elite, 2019 RDX A-Spec, 2018 RDX, 2009 MDX, 2002 MDX, 1993 Integra, 2013 Accord Coupe V6
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Time to close this thread!
I picked up the overhauled driveshaft tonight and slid it back in place. Took it for a long test drive and it is silky smooth at all speeds and under any loads. It's never been this nice actually. So that's a wrap and I will be delivering it to the new owner in the next few days.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Nice. its cool that In Canada you could find someone to rebuild it. Here in Chicago land, I called 10+places and all of them refused to do it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Nice. its cool that In Canada you could find someone to rebuild it. Here in Chicago land, I called 10+places and all of them refused to do it.
That sucks!
What is the cost of a new one? I never even called to ask that question.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
1100 for oem,or you can get Chinese one for 500, but they are not good. Tried 3 of them but they were vibrating like crazy

Reactions: BradsToyBox

·
Registered
782 Posts
Brads,
Well done! Question. Before the rebuild what is driving speed that you begin to notice vibration? Did you have vibration in city or highway driving before the rebuild?

thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Brads,
Well done! Question. Before the rebuild what is driving speed that you begin to notice vibration? Did you have vibration in city or highway driving before the rebuild?

thanks
You could feel the vibration start at very low speed, like 45 kmph and it peaked in intensity around 70 kmph so if you kept speeding up to 100 kmph (60 mph) it actually got better.

What's interesting is the fact that this reared it's ugly head after being parked for almost five months. I believe that the U-joints were getting bad before I parked it and it did have some vibration before but it wasn't something I couldn't live with so I did. That period of time allowed the degraded joints to corrode badly and the rear locked up solid in one axis so that minor vibration became major. I'm please that it's now resolved and it wasn't that costly so I can hand it to the next owner in much better shape that it was when I bought it.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
If I understand this correctly. Raise the rear wheel and unbolt the shaft at the transmission end while the other end of the shaft still connected to the rear differential and then rotate the shaft 180 deg. Correct?
yes, but this method is for installation of a new shaft, if shaft is broken this will not change anything.

·
Registered
782 Posts
yes, but this method is for installation of a new shaft, if shaft is broken this will not change anything.
Thank for the clarification. I want to try this method first if I get lucky before removing the shaft assembly and test drive without it before deciding to live with the vibration or coughs up $1000 and replace with the OEM part.
The vibration is not so terribly pronounced but it’s annoying and uncomforting for a long highway trip. If I keep my speed under 70 mph I can enjoy highway smooth ride.

·
Registered
782 Posts
DZ, you want to know something funny? I called Acura of Boston service department and asked to confirm if it’s ok to drive without a propeller shaft and he put me on hold while looking for answer. After a few minutes later he got back on the phone and told me yes it’s ok according to a person posted online. He then read words for words of the message and I immediately recognized it was your post when he mentioned driven for 100 miles. And I asked him which forum where you got this information from. He told it from mdxer.com. BINGO! You are the man!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts