Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2010 MDX Elite, 2019 RDX A-Spec, 2018 RDX, 2009 MDX, 2002 MDX, 1993 Integra, 2013 Accord Coupe V6
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my MDX was parked five months (in Canada Eh) I completed the engine replacement and put it back on the road. It immediately developed a driveline vibration the resonated through the whole chassis but seemed to be more prevalent in the rear. My first thoughts were I had a bad wheel bearing but the frequency of the vibration felt wrong. I jacked it up and ran it at idle so I could feel each hub to see if I could isolate the source but they all felt pretty smooth. There weren't any noises coming from the axles or even the driveshaft so I scratched my head a while. I figured that it had to be a U joint on the main driveshaft so I dropped it out and sure enough, the front was notchy and the rear was seized tight.

So the shaft is off to the local driveshaft specialty shop for a rebuild. They do both joints and the hanger bearing and rebalance the assembly. I'll let you all know how it works out.

·
Registered
809 Posts
You have a picture of the U-joint that causes the vibration and where does it located? At what speed you started to feel the vibration ? I am trying to finger out mines why I have a slight vibration above 65 mph. My steering wheel is slightly vibrated and I ruled out it’s not from the rotor(s). Mines is 2011 Advance.

thanks

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
rotate shaft 180 degrees.

·
Registered
2010 MDX Elite, 2019 RDX A-Spec, 2018 RDX, 2009 MDX, 2002 MDX, 1993 Integra, 2013 Accord Coupe V6
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have a picture of the U-joint that causes the vibration and where does it located? At what speed you started to feel the vibration ? I am trying to finger out mines why I have a slight vibration above 65 mph. My steering wheel is slightly vibrated and I ruled out it’s not from the rotor(s). Mines is 2011 Advance.

thanks

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
unbolt front shaft flange, and rotate diff flange 180 degrees. Install bolts back.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
That won't unseize my U-Joint.
oh sorry, missed that part. Anyways when i was looking for someone to rebuild shaft nobody agreed to do that in Chicago area....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How do you know the U-joint is seized or making vibration as the OP found out.
Thanks
You need to disconnect the joint and rotate in by hand to see if it's smooth or notchy or seized such as mine is. You won't feel or see any play in it with the bolts installed unless the joints are really screwed and if they are that bad, you have had a vibration a very long time.

·
Registered
809 Posts
You need to disconnect the joint and rotate in by hand to see if it's smooth or notchy or seized such as mine is. You won't feel or see any play in it with the bolts installed unless the joints are really screwed and if they are that bad, you have had a vibration a very long time.
All 4 wheels have to be off the ground or just jack up the rear to check the rear U-joint and jack up the front to the the front U joint?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All 4 wheels have to be off the ground or just jack up the rear to check the rear U-joint and jack up the front to the the front U joint?
You have to jack up the vehicle to disconnect the four bolts holding the U-Joint to the rear differential. Then pull the driveshaft forward and separate the driveshaft from the differential. Now you can grab the U-joint and move it back and forth to see if it moves smoothly. If it's ok, bolt it back together and do the same at the front end. You don't need to have all four wheels in the air. You just need enough space to get under there and work. Oh and always use a jack stand!!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here are pictures of my main driveshaft. After you removed it which part you rotated by hand ? The u- joint on the driveshaft?

View attachment 121852
[/Q
I've shot a quick video that's uploading right now just stand by one moment.................and another moment.........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1-c3hvqqt4

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When all is well, you shouldn't hear anything. When a U-joint is seized it causes the driveshaft to bind up as the rotational energy attempts to move the rear differential on its mounts. This is what causes the vibration you feel and hear in the chassis. The U-joint is supposed to flex and when it can't something else does!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Can you drive the vehicle without main driveshaft while the driveshaft is being rebuilt? I know the vehicle now only have front wheel drive. Driving without it will mess up the SH-AWD?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It will drive without the shaft but it does confuse the computer. I haven't gone out of the driveway with it but I can move it around. Thankfully the driveshaft will be back Thursday!

It sounds like there's a bit of work involved with replacing these u-joints. Some machine work and combining parts from different sets of U-joints to arrive at a workable solution. Ottawa Driveshaft and Steering have it all figured out. Then they change the hanger bearing, balance it and paint it so it looks new.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
In my experience in Canada rebuilding is simply not worth the cost. Because just for $150 extra you can get a brand new propeller shaft assembly from Acura which is already perfectly balanced and is bolt on. Just observe the correct installation procedure and you should be good to go.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts