Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a DIY on changing the transmission, transfer case, and rear diff fluids for a 2014 MDX? I've done quite a bit of searching but am coming up empty. The only one of 3 I'm concerned with the is the transmission, the others are straight forward. Mine just rolled over 30k. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I am not sure but if the 14" Still uses the 6 speedo then the change procedure is exactly the same as every other Honda & Acura V6 trans procedure.
The different one AFAIK is the ZF Trans.

·
Registered
300 Posts
DIY of Transmission and Rear Diff Fluid are very easy to do and very easy to locate them. I am not sure about Transfer case though, I have 2016 model.

Let me know if you need help locate those fills and drains

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
2016 is the 9ZF, so up to 2015 is the same 6 speed as prior. The transfer case and rear diff haven't changed much (rear diff more so than transfer case at least). Most older youtube videos are pretty much still correct, except check for applicability of fluids through your owner's manual.

Transfer case and rear diff access example:
6 speed tranny is still pretty similar to this:

Things that usually change are their accessibility, but the components are nearly identical. The 9 speed of the 2016 has some other quirks like a top fill hole.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
The 2016 9 speed is not a simple drain and fill situation.

You fill it, heat the transmission up to a specified temperature (which you monitor with a scan tool), and while the engine is running in Park, you drain excess out of a check plug.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
The 2016 9 speed is not a simple drain and fill situation.

You fill it, heat the transmission up to a specified temperature (which you monitor with a scan tool), and while the engine is running in Park, you drain excess out of a check plug.
Ah that's why there's so many plugs... Was I correct that the top one is the fill plug? I'm assuming we just fill from there until it's full, heat up like you said, and then release extra from the side check plug. My original reference was the TSB for the leaking cover which showed top off via what looks like the check plug, so I thought that might be the usual fill spot, but am not sure. I really need to buy access to the shop manuals one day...

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Not possible to fill/top off through the check plug. Not a lot of room there. You just have to essentially overfill that transmission and then set the level with the check plug.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To follow up on this after completion this weekend, if anyone needs it. Pretty easy job. Again on a 2014 MDX 6 speed.

Rear diff ~2.8 quarts

Transfer case ~.85 quart 80w90 recommended, I couldn't find 80w90 mobile one at any local parts store so I used 75w90.

Transmission ~3.8 quarts filled through the dipstick. Took two funnels connected because it's a ways down there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts