Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
345 Posts
I've got the same exact problem on my 2001 with the same exact symptoms. We even had the wheels and tires checked on a Hunter DSP 9700 and they are true, in balance and with rolling pressures well within spec. The dealer is still working on the problem but has so far been unsuccesful.

It is definitely not a tire balance problem because it is much too high in frequency, does not cause the steering wheel shimmy that a wheel balance problem usually does, and is constant in severity with time (a wheel balance problem will often be cyclic in severity with time as the wheels slowly roll in and out of sync with each other).

I'd love to get to the bottom of it too as it does spoil an otherwise smooth ride over approximately 73 mph.

Tom

Steve said:
We have a vibration that is felt in the steering wheel (discovered at 400 miles) that I describe as a high frequency vibration - i.e. too fast to be a wheel out of balance. It starts at 73 MPH and does not go away. It is really annoying as the car is smooth as silk up to that point. Car went back to the dealer last week at 1500 miles. They rebalanced the wheels and claimed it "fixed", but it is still there. I'm calling them in the morning . . . I think it is something other then a wheel. I took delivery of the car on 12/3/01, sounds like it was built around the same time as yours.

· Registered
345 Posts
Re: Low Frequency Hum in 5th Gear

I don't believe, based on the symptoms that you posted, that this is the same problem that you had with the drive shaft. This symptom starts at a much higher speed, does not again decrease above a given speed, and is felt rather than heard. However, it is certainly worth an inquiry regardless.

Tom

flyguy said:
Fella's, may I suggest you have your Service departments call Courtesy Acura in Lexington KY (859-272-8900) and ask about a recent fix, mine to be exact. If you check my posting you will see what they tried and what was finally done to correct the problem. Be persistant but patient, you don't want to piss off the guys that fix your car. I told them I didn't want it back until it was fixed PERIOD! They understood.

Good luck!

Silver/Touring/step sides. pop-tart crumbs and french fry salt in the back seat. Kids shoes, gum wrappers and ice scraper on floor.

· Registered
345 Posts
High frequency steering vibration above 73 MPH

I have created an entry in the Problem Knowledge Base for the
vibration problem. If you have this symptom, please register it in the database. The problem is listed under "High frequency steering vibration above 73 MPH."

Tom

Steve said:
Flyguy,

My X is scheduled to go back for the virbration problem on the 28th. I hope someone will come with a fix before then. The dealer is 85 miles away and they pick up, leave a loaner, and deliver. Great service as long as you are patient. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.