Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just bought a new Touring model one month ago. After only 300 miles had it back to the dealer because of a low frequency noise that was present when reached speed of 55mph and went away after 65mph. Dealer said it was in the drive shaft and needed to rebalence. Took a day to do this. After picking it up, the sound was still there but present from 54mph to 57mph. slight improvement, heading in the right direction. Brought it back this Monday, now has 1000 miles on it, sound back from 55-65. They have had it for a week trying to rebalence as per Tech Line advise, with possible next step a new drive shaft.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or heard a noise at certain speed range?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, flyguy,

There's a new thread on "low frequency tone in 5'th gear". Do you think it's the same problem your MDX had with drive shaft out of balance?

·
Registered
102 Posts
We have a vibration that is felt in the steering wheel (discovered at 400 miles) that I describe as a high frequency vibration - i.e. too fast to be a wheel out of balance. It starts at 73 MPH and does not go away. It is really annoying as the car is smooth as silk up to that point. Car went back to the dealer last week at 1500 miles. They rebalanced the wheels and claimed it "fixed", but it is still there. I'm calling them in the morning . . . I think it is something other then a wheel. I took delivery of the car on 12/3/01, sounds like it was built around the same time as yours.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I've got the same exact problem on my 2001 with the same exact symptoms. We even had the wheels and tires checked on a Hunter DSP 9700 and they are true, in balance and with rolling pressures well within spec. The dealer is still working on the problem but has so far been unsuccesful.

It is definitely not a tire balance problem because it is much too high in frequency, does not cause the steering wheel shimmy that a wheel balance problem usually does, and is constant in severity with time (a wheel balance problem will often be cyclic in severity with time as the wheels slowly roll in and out of sync with each other).

I'd love to get to the bottom of it too as it does spoil an otherwise smooth ride over approximately 73 mph.

Tom

Steve said:
We have a vibration that is felt in the steering wheel (discovered at 400 miles) that I describe as a high frequency vibration - i.e. too fast to be a wheel out of balance. It starts at 73 MPH and does not go away. It is really annoying as the car is smooth as silk up to that point. Car went back to the dealer last week at 1500 miles. They rebalanced the wheels and claimed it "fixed", but it is still there. I'm calling them in the morning . . . I think it is something other then a wheel. I took delivery of the car on 12/3/01, sounds like it was built around the same time as yours.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Low Frequency Hum in 5th Gear

Fella's, may I suggest you have your Service departments call Courtesy Acura in Lexington KY (859-272-8900) and ask about a recent fix, mine to be exact. If you check my posting you will see what they tried and what was finally done to correct the problem. Be persistant but patient, you don't want to piss off the guys that fix your car. I told them I didn't want it back until it was fixed PERIOD! They understood.

Good luck!

Silver/Touring/step sides. pop-tart crumbs and french fry salt in the back seat. Kids shoes, gum wrappers and ice scraper on floor.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Re: Low Frequency Hum in 5th Gear

I don't believe, based on the symptoms that you posted, that this is the same problem that you had with the drive shaft. This symptom starts at a much higher speed, does not again decrease above a given speed, and is felt rather than heard. However, it is certainly worth an inquiry regardless.

Tom

flyguy said:
Fella's, may I suggest you have your Service departments call Courtesy Acura in Lexington KY (859-272-8900) and ask about a recent fix, mine to be exact. If you check my posting you will see what they tried and what was finally done to correct the problem. Be persistant but patient, you don't want to piss off the guys that fix your car. I told them I didn't want it back until it was fixed PERIOD! They understood.

Good luck!

Silver/Touring/step sides. pop-tart crumbs and french fry salt in the back seat. Kids shoes, gum wrappers and ice scraper on floor.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Flyguy,

Thanks for the phone number.

Please clarify what your problem was. This post has evolved in to the discussion of two seperate problems (i) exhaust resonance and (ii) a drive train vibration.

My X is scheduled to go back for the virbration problem on the 28th. I hope someone will come with a fix before then. The dealer is 85 miles away and they pick up, leave a loaner, and deliver. Great service as long as you are patient. :)

By the way, regarding the high frequency vibration that I have - the service rep at Inskip Acura told me that Acura has not issued any info. regarding this problem. That "if there is a problem Acura will do a TSB" dah dah dah . . .

·
Registered
522 Posts
High frequency steering vibration above 73 MPH

I have created an entry in the Problem Knowledge Base for the
vibration problem. If you have this symptom, please register it in the database. The problem is listed under "High frequency steering vibration above 73 MPH."

Tom

Steve said:
Flyguy,

My X is scheduled to go back for the virbration problem on the 28th. I hope someone will come with a fix before then. The dealer is 85 miles away and they pick up, leave a loaner, and deliver. Great service as long as you are patient. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
High Frquency Steering Vibration above 73mph

I am going to have to say that I might have experienced this problem or maybe it was my imagination, like I was looking/listening/feeling for something after my X was fixed back in November. I have only driven it in the speed range that is in question one time (Christmas day coming home from in-laws, 1 1/2 hr trip) This is my wife's vehicle and she hasn't had any other complaint's since the drive shaft fix. (It was her birthday present)

I am off from work this upcoming week and I guess I'll give her a spin,the MDX, and see if there is a steering wheel Vibration- sensation to be sure.

The mention of a exhaust system resonation is of interest because I have experienced that. It is more of a throaty sound when accelerating from a stand still which doesn't bother me. A steering wheel vibration would bother me enough to have it checked out. The only other problem that I have to have taken care of when I bring it back for the 3500 mile check up is a slight side to side wobble of the brake pedal

·
Registered
747 Posts
So how do I know if the vibrations on my steering wheel are from the wheels not being balanced or something else? I do know that 73 mph is the magic spot, so I'm guessing I have the same thing, Tom.

Rob

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi Rob,

If your wheels/tires are out of balance the vibration will be slow, i.e. one shake per revolution of the wheel. If it is the drive shaft it will be a faster vibration as the shaft turns faster then the wheels.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Steve--Certainly makes sense--thanks for the reply. That being the case, I think I definitely have the drive shaft problem and will add it to the list of fixits for my 7500.

Thanks again, and please update if anyone gets a fix...
Rob

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm not sure it is the drive shaft that is out of balance - I do not know what is causing the vibration. Could be the drive shaft as it has to be something that turns at (a high) speed.

The dealer took my car back at approx. 1300 miles and rebalanced all the tires, but that had no effect on the vibration. It is going back again on 1/28.

Hopefully someone will come up with a fix before then.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Drive shaft out of balance

I too have a drive shaft that is out of balance. I took my white 2002 MDX into the dealer at 800 miles after driving on the open road for the 1st time. The vibration is at its worst at about 64 mph. It can be felt in the steering wheel and is also audible. It sounds like a harmonic humming sound.

The dealer conducted the service written up in the service bulletin; hose clamps and rotating the shaft. It did nothing, although they tried to tell me that it was fixed. I asked my service manager to call Courtesy Acura in Lexington KY (859-272-8900) as flyguy suggested. They made the phone and was told that they replaced the drive shaft on 1 customer's vehicle to correct the problem. They were also told that they were warned by Acura not to replace another drive shaft or they would be paying for the drive shaft.

At this point I am waiting for the rep to come back to Indianapolis so I can demonstrate the problem. By the way, the rep. also told my service manager that the drive shaft for the 2002's has a different part number from the 2001.

Magna

1 - 15 of 15 Posts