Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Draw Tite hitch for my MDX. It's supposed to install with no drilling and I did this on my last SUV in about 30 minutes. Does anyone have any experience with this and any details which I should know before install? I'm concerned about where the hitch will protrude after install. Does it just stick out below the gray plastic trim in the center or the rear bumper? I am hoping that the plastic trim does not need to be replaced or modified in any way. I also bought the light wiring harness. Seems like it will just plug in. Anyone have any experience with is? Thanks!!

·
Registered
818 Posts
I just installed my Hidden Hitch last week and it was a snap. Took me exactly 30 minutes. I like the way the Hidden Hitch looks installed, it even shields my full-size spare from view.

·
Registered
161 Posts
which hitch

I'm considering installing a hitch on my X. There are 2 choices: Hidden or Drawtite.

What are the advantages or disadvantages of each type? My main purpose is to haul bicycles, will not be used for heavy duty use.

I think the Hidden hitch is easier to install and cheaper, but may not be as well put together as the Drawtite one, ie the Hidden is more likely to show rusting than the Drawtite.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
which hitch

I bought daw tite because I had it on my last vehicle. Went in easy, just bolts to holes in chasis. I will probably install this weekend. If I have a problem, I'll post and let you know. I also have a 4 bike carrier which slips into hitch made also by draw tite and have used for several years - it's great and solid as a rock in traveling.

·
Registered
161 Posts
apple904,

Where did you buy your hitch and how much? Please let me know your experience in installing this hitch. I will also use it to carry 4 bikes. I got my hitch-mounted bike rack from the Sportsrack. Have used it on my other minivans.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
184 Posts
rvehock,

Where did you get your hitch?

There were posts about both in another thread and there were many horror stories about how the hitches were shipped from etrailer so I held off buying through the internet hoping to find a local (so cal) dealer.

There were also pictures in the post in which the drawtite appeared more "hidden" than the hidden hitch.

I'd go for a group buy, either internet or local, if I know the hitches won't get damaged during delivery.

·
Registered
818 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Light harness

Can anyone help me out locating the connector to plug in my hitch lighting harness? Jack is in panel on left and I can't find another door to look behind.
PS - Installed my draw tite hitch last week. 20 minutes tops. It did come without bolts and had to get them at Napa because they are metric. Looks pretty much same aqs post picture of Hidden Hitch only hangs just a little lower from bumper. I don't think there is any difference so decision which to buy should be on what you think is best quality. I could go either way.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Connector is under the plastic cover that runs accross MDX at very back of cargo area. Open the gate, and you will see. Remove that cover, and you are good to go

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just installed my draw tite hitch and it took us about 30 mins, without a friend it will probably take me an hour to install.

Quick question do I need a transmission cooler for towing cargo tray or bikes?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cooler

No way you need transmission cooler. I am using my hitch like you are and will also pull small trailer with yard debris to dump in the Fall. I think there is a weight limit to pull of 1500 pounds before you need the cooler. What you're talking about is a fraction of that. Maybe some one else on this board knows the actual guideline.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Any pictures of the acura hitches?

·
Registered
671 Posts
I don't even own a trailer, but for $100 bucks it seems stupid to not have a hidden hitch just incase I need to pull something!

·
Registered
38 Posts
For those of you that have the Draw-Tite hitch, does it extend past the bumper on the sides? I have the Valley hitch (installed by U-Haul) and there is overhang on either side that extends past the line of the bumper.

I was thinking about getting the Draw-Tite hitch in hopes it would look more OEM, and was just curious if that hitch also extended past the bumper. I appreciate your help.

Thanks

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hitch Profile

It does not extend past the bumper but it does protrude lower than the fender on the left and right. Not very noticeable since everything under there is black anyway. I have seen the Acura hitch and it does the same thing. Hardly any difference in the two.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Apple904

Since you have a drawtite hitch, do you have a full spare tire under your X? The reason I'm asking is because I have a full spare tire and it does not fit under there because of the drawtite hitch.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have a Hidden Hitch on my MDX and the Full Size Spare fits perfectly with the hitch in place. I am surprised that a FSS will not fit with the Draw-Tite Hitch:eek:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Full Spare w/ Draw-Tite

I do not have a full spare nor have I tried to install one.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts