Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not follow the MM because I feel better overmaintaining my 10 X. I have been replacing DPSF every 15k Miles. I know appearance does not say much but it always looks brand new. How often do you folks replace DPSF? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I follow MM. first change is approximately 15k, then approximately every 30k, thereafter.

There is evidence to suggest that over-changing fluids actually causes more wear than waiting to change at appropriate intervals. Of course, failing to change before fluid degrades is also bad.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I follow MM. first change is approximately 15k, then approximately every 30k, thereafter.

There is evidence to suggest that over-changing fluids actually causes more wear than waiting to change at appropriate intervals. Of course, failing to change before fluid degrades is also bad.
Interesting, wonder why that is? I know over maintanance is bad in situations where sealed systems can get contaminated, eg repacking wheel bearings or CV joints.

Maybe I will stretch the DPSF interval. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Interesting, wonder why that is? I know over maintanance is bad in situations where sealed systems can get contaminated, eg repacking wheel bearings or CV joints
The evidence I’ve seen was using engine oil... I’m not sure how DPSF, specifically, is affected... but it may be similar. The gist is that new fluids have a heavy hit of their respective additive packages and are a bit “harsh”. Of course, they need to be in order for the fluid to have a long usable life. But the wear seems to be heavily skewed towards the front of the oil life, then it flattenes out for the remaining life of the fluid before finally tanking. When over-changing you’re always in that harsh chemical imbalance.

I used to be a chronic over-maintainer — such as 3k oil changes. Changed my diff every oil change. Changed brake and power steering fluid every year. I’ve calmed down considerably in recent years. I mostly follow the MM, now.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The evidence I’ve seen was using engine oil... I’m not sure how DPSF, specifically, is affected... but it may be similar. The gist is that new fluids have a heavy hit of their respective additive packages and are a bit “harsh”. Of course, they need to be in order for the fluid to have a long usable life. But the wear seems to be heavily skewed towards the front of the oil life, then it flattenes out for the remaining life of the fluid before finally tanking. When over-changing you’re always in that harsh chemical imbalance.

I used to be a chronic over-maintainer — such as 3k oil changes. Changed my diff every oil change. Changed brake and power steering fluid every year. I’ve calmed down considerably in recent years. I mostly follow the MM, now.
Good info, thanks. Yeah, I am pushing 70 and have calmed down considerably. Took the X to finally get me off the 3k motor oil replacement. I still change oil in my 99 Avalon every 6 months even though I drive her only 4-5k miles per year getting groceries. Having said that, I do admit to changing the X timing belt (Aisin kit), coolant and thermostat at 7 years with only 55k miles. Absolutely nothing wrong with anything I replaced. I did it because I knew I would be doing it one time sooner or later and wanted to do it while I still had sufficient physical capability.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Count me in on the - over maintainers- team..

DPSF gets done every second year, that equates to ~ 25-30k Km or 15-18k miles
transfer case gets down every spring a long with the OCI... because its just too easy.
J.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I did first at 15k, second at 30k, then 30k mile intervals after. Only reason I did the first two at 15k was to get all the fluids on the same schedule....30k, 60k, 90k, etc. Seems to be a very reliable system and I don't see a reason to change more often. I did recently do a full 3x trans drain/fill around the 100k mile mark. Currently at 110k miles and everything is still flawless.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts