Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have issues with how my 2017 MDX downshifts. I like to downshift to slow at freeway exit ramps and on steep downgrades. I feel a very noticeable delay (when I push the selector button to "S" mode or if I use the paddles to downshift) before the vehicle begins to slow down. It's the same delay one would experience with a manual transmission if you were late to re-engage the clutch. When I down shift, I expect the trans to engage immediately so the engine slows me down. My MDX does not do that. Down shift and the car literally speeds up for a fraction of a second before "engaging" the lower gear. Not happy! My Audi does it flawlessly. I had a Lexus RX350 that did it flawlessly. Damn, my Honda Fit and my motorhome do it properly. Not my Acura. I can't wait until the lease is up...

P.S.; Yes I had it back to the dealer for software update and reboot of the software. The problem persists.

·
Registered
494 Posts
While I can't vouch for this guy's expertise, this video I found on YouTube does a pretty good job explaining the transmission design, and about half-way thru this video he talks about downshifting and why some gear ranges have a pause vs others that don't. It won't necessarily make you feel better, but it explains it.

Just curious - did you notice this in your extended test drive before you bought the car? It wasn't clear whether this was was something new that you noticed, or something you saw all along.....

andy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yep my 2016 SH-AWD is the same exact way. It literally speeds up when manually down shifting. Brakes are used alot with this new transmission as it doesnt engage as it should. Sucks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts