Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone ever seen on for the 2nd gen MDX??

I cant find it anywhere... its driving me crazy... I'm in need of a stereo upgrade...

can anyone add any insight on this?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Also check out Crutchfield.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DARIO!!! - love the custom job - i'm going to show this to my friend who owns a custom car audio shop in Queens - to see if he can create something for me using fiberglass -

question -

what brackets did you use to mount the double din? or was that custom as well?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 2012 base with the base stereo and i'm looking for an upgrade also. I searched everywhere and I don't think they make a dash kit to replace and install an off the market stereo.
I will eventually have to make my own from fiberglass or a combination of fiberglass and MDF.

·
Registered
32 Posts
2G Stereo Mods

Hello Gents,

I have exhaustively pursued any and all options for a stereo/navi upgrade for the 2G Base. There simply isn't any...whether this is due to Honda's reluctance to provide anything extra without monetary blackmailing, or the lack of demand for aftermarket upgrades on the MDX (which pretty much seems to be the standard attitude for the majority of owners of this particular vehicle....ie "if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it).

Alas, it would appear that the only recourse would be to place yourself at the mercy of a "custom" interior/stereo installer, thereby dooming yourself to virtually no chance at resale of your vehicle (or at least for the majority of those looking to buy an MDX).

I have looked at the 3G stereo/navi systems (the ones with touch-screen, Bluetooth capabilities) and wondered if there is any possibility of retrofitting those into the 2G? Given that this is an OEM to OEM retrofit, I would think that someone with some knowledge of Honda electronics could accomplish this? Just a thought.....

·
Registered
336 Posts
Whether or not it can be done, it's probably not worth the cost. I can't even imagine how much a stereo/navi unit would cost from the dealer. Money would be better spent on a way to mount your smartphone in just the right spot and then find a bluetooth solution that makes sense for you.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Crutchfield has nothing... do you have an aftermarket radio in your X?
No, my audio is OEM. I suggested Crutchfield as my son got an aftermarket setup, including a dash kit with AC controls, for his Infinity G35 from them and was very pleased.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have to agree on just using a Smart Phone or dedicated tablet. That is a lot of money to spend to reduce your resale value. Why not a Samsung Galaxy Tab or equivalent with a data plan, Car Tunes (Music Player) and a Navigation App? You can connect it through the Aux port and even add an amplifier to it. I'm doing just this right now and installing a dash magnet mount that puts it within my reach. I have a 2007 Tech package but the stock set-up is pretty archaic some 8 years later. Plus these aftermarket setups look pretty hack to me. You will also miss the dedicated volume knob and easy to use tuning of the OEM head unit. With a tablet, only your nav and music player will require touchscreen. Just my opinion.:29:

Whether or not it can be done, it's probably not worth the cost. I can't even imagine how much a stereo/navi unit would cost from the dealer. Money would be better spent on a way to mount your smartphone in just the right spot and then find a bluetooth solution that makes sense for you.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I have to agree on just using a Smart Phone or dedicated tablet. That is a lot of money to spend to reduce your resale value. Why not a Samsung Galaxy Tab or equivalent with a data plan, Car Tunes (Music Player) and a Navigation App? You can connect it through the Aux port and even add an amplifier to it.
I agree with this. If you are mainly after audiophile sound without all the doodads and features of a double din, I recommend the JL Audio Clean Sweep which also has an aux input and allows you to return everything back to stock again should you want to sell it later on.

Plus if you have T-Mobile carrier, any audio streaming service doesn't count towards your data usage so you can stream audio to your hearts content.

Car Audio - OEM Interface - OEM Integration

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm in the planning process or my stereo upgrade.
Equipment I have so far:
Processor:
JBL MS-8 and Helix DSP

Amps:
2 JL HD600/4 for highs and mids and a 1200/1 for bass

Speakers:
I have a few, but can't decide at the moment.

Sub:
JBL W12GTI

My only problem, is that i'm not sure if the get the signal before the stock amplifier or after.

If anyone has done a system like this with a DSP, please let me know. I would like to get some pointers via PM or email.

·
Registered
353 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts