Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
dholland17, I've never noticed any screws (and can't imagine Honda assembling a door that way, either). Your cheapest option would be to replace the entire door, no doubt. Good chance you'll be able to find one that's the right color, with the right options. Of course, this assumes that the damage is very superficial, and that the pillar and mounts weren't deformed by the impact. I'd say if the door shuts properly and seals correctly all the way around, you may just get away with swapping the door. It won't be a trivial job - just make sure to have some friends to help hold everything together when you remove the old door and install the new one (they are heavy and awkward).

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I think you'll be very unpleasantly surprised if you DO order the door skin... there just aren't any bolts holding it on. To be honest, I'm not sure how you'd go about replacing a skin, but I'm sure a real body shop guy (one with gray hair, preferably) would be able to tell you what the process looks like. A quick examination of the door shows that the skin itself is wrapped around the edges of the door frame, and crimped (tight!) to hold it on - I'm not sure if the lip is half-formed when you get just the skin, and that the bend is finished with special equipment, but it doesn't look like something I'd want to try to do with a pair of vice grips. ;-)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
That's going to be a WHOLE lot better solution! I hope you find out that there isn't any other damage, and that you're back to 100% with the expenditure of $75 and a couple hours. Let us know how it goes!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts