Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do anybody have any instructions on how to remove the front door panels? I want to remove them to install my component speakers but am not sure how to remove them. Thanks.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Do a search on 'weeping mirror' there's a TSB to fix the mirrors and the instuctions included removing the door panel. But it is really not needed. It should be pretty straight forward -remove speaker grill, remove all screws, remove arm rest, pop off door panel. I think that should be it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Emerald01 said:
Do a search on 'weeping mirror' there's a TSB to fix the mirrors and the instuctions included removing the door panel. But it is really not needed. It should be pretty straight forward -remove speaker grill, remove all screws, remove arm rest, pop off door panel. I think that should be it.
Thanks Emerald. I found the TSB, however it just said to refer to the service manual for the door panel removal. I removed all the screws and the speaker grill, how do you remove the armrest? I don't want to pull and break something. Thanks.
Anybody with the service manual? Can you help with the instructions to remove the door panel? Thanks.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Door panel removal..

Ok, I can only remember this from the top of my balding head..I removed the panels when I lubricate the rods after it got squeaky when I opening both front doors.

1. Lower the glass
2. Remove the speaker cover
3. There are three screws(not the speaker screw)- of course unscrew it.
4. pry open the screw cover of door handle and unscrew..
5. pry open the screw cover of "door knobs", the ones with lock/unlock lever and unscrew..
6. remove the door knob.

Now remove the panel from the top, and work your way down prying ot the plastic screws. Disconnect the wiring connectors. Its all color coded and you won't mix it up.
Now while you're at it, you may lubricate the rod and the guide clip with heavy grease. Its not lubricated from the factory and is bound to squeak. All you need to do now is remove the white plastic cover from halfway on top of panel. Do not tear it just pull the sticky "thingy" so you can stick it back after you lube thr rods.

When I changed my speakers, I don't have to remove the panels..
Of course I may forget something though but my point, its straight forward..

·
Registered
738 Posts
Removal of door panels

(glad I saved this in a text file, knew someone would ask for it)

Sigh, I asked for it. Here goes:

On some cars a door panel trim removal tool is essential because the attachment points are mounted to flimsy foam backing that rips out if you pull on it. Not so with the Honda panels and clips, very sturdy, no problems, just yank like crazy, after removing necessary attachments.

Front left: most difficult. Actually not difficult, just tedious. Anyone can do it.
·Make sure windows are all up.
·Remove tweeter pod by simply pulling it away from the door, start with the top section.
·Remove grill by pulling on lower front portion, work your way to the back, then the top front, holding front of grill downward to prevent scratching the armrest during the final removal. Remove 3 brass-looking perimeter screws. Remove speaker (optional but makes door panel lighter and less awkward during removal, no biggie either way)
·Pop open screw cover in door handle casing using flat jeweler’s screwdriver, pry on smaller slot (bigger slot is really a hinge, don’t touch this side of the cover) by pushing toward the hinge and outward, don’t twist screwdriver and mangle up the cover. Remove screw.
·Push casing forward (push hard) until the rear edge can be pulled away from door and pull backwards to release the front of the casing so that it is free from door but still attached to handle rod. Use small needle nose to detach rod from handle. Disconnect memory seat harness.
·Open screw cover in armrest, again stay away from the large slot, in this case will need to insert screwdriver in rounded corner and twist. Remove screw.
·Remove master control panel: pop up 3/4” at rear of woodgrain panel so that harness barely clears the armrest, slide rearward to release front of panel, disconnect all the harnesses. You will notice that the metal clips have become dislodged. Don’t try to push them back in, you need to reform them for a tight fit. Remove these clips one at a time (remember what orientation they need to be installed with, this is important), use needle nose to bend all sharp tips to give an even greater “bite”, bend out the spring portion that will press against the opening for a tight fit. Reinstall clips to master panel. This will ensure an even greater snap fit than originally.
·Grab door panel from the bottom and pull sharply, work your way around the sides to release all plastic clips. Do not remove panel yet.
·Reach underneath and disconnect courtesy light harness and speaker if it was not removed.
·Pull up on panel to release the inner weather trim from the door metal
Right side will be intuitive, similar to left side, but leave window switch in place. Rear doors are even easier, but absolutely must remove speaker before panel can be removed. Good luck, let me know if I missed something.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Good Stuff

DaleB said:
It's useful inforrmation like that I copy as a word.doc and save in the little MDX folder on my desktop! Thanks AGAIN, TCMB!
Haha, I did the same thing. I cut and paste it the file and saved it to a Word file.
Thank you "they call me bruce" for your help. I will attempt to remove the door panels this weekend. So far the Focals sound awesome, the Utopia line is just absolutely unbelievable. Can't wait to clean up the install. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi TheyCallMeBruce:

___I never did ask if you had the Laptop hooked up to your X in a 4 speaker + setup. Do you? If so, how did you get the 4 or more channel laptop output into the head units output or amp? I could imagine there would be plenty of door panel removals so that is why I am asking.

___Thanks again.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
738 Posts
xcel said:
Hi TheyCallMeBruce:

___I never did ask if you had the Laptop hooked up to your X in a 4 speaker + setup. Do you? If so, how did you get the 4 or more channel laptop output into the head units output or amp? I could imagine there would be plenty of door panel removals so that is why I am asking.

___Thanks again.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]
Hmm. You might have me confused with another issue as I have never owned a laptop. I did take the new Toshiba portable DVD player with us on our trip to the arctic. In "theatre" style, at the campsite when we are both enjoying the movie with the A/C on, the player sits in the center of the dash, on a towel, and I simply pop a cassette adapter into the headunit. The DVD player only has a 2 channel output, there is no digital dTS or surround sound output. I think you need a 5.1 receiver to do that, and in a mobile environment, that is way beyond me. Anyhow, through the upgraded amps and speakers, the DVD sounds really good, better than anything I have at home. But it got even better when I wired the output of the DVD 2 channel audio directly to the car amp, bypassing the headunit. I use a 2 channel amp, instead of a 4 channel, and parrallel the front and rear speakers together to use 4 speakers with a 2 channel amp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts