Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so upset - I dropped my kids off at school yesterday and noticed a tear or peeling on the door panel of my MDX about the size of a nickel. No one recalls doing anything that could have caused that. (even after I absolved them of any repercussions) My daughter doesn't even keep her bookbag up front. You would think it would take a sharp object at just the right angle to do that and that you would know when it happened. I'm sure something must have rubbed against it but it must have been casual contact. My cheapo cars I've had have never done that. This has really got me concerned. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
359 Posts
I haven't had this problem on the X but sometimes you can slam the seatbelt buckle and that may have caused the "rip." You didn't say where on the door so I don't know if that is possible in your case.
BTW, I suspect you can talk the dealer into some warranty repair on this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response - my husband thinks it might have been the seat belt too . I thought that was far fetched, however I don't have any other explanation. I have had problems with the seat belt retracting because it's twisted. I will take it to the dealer and hopefully they'll cover it. Thanks again -

·
Registered
616 Posts
Ahh, that's it.

I didn't think much of this until Redwing mentioned the seat belt clip. Then it hit me, we had a tear/gouge, exactly as you described, on our Lexus RX300 driver door panel. Of course no one fessed up, so a little detective work later, I found that occasionally the seat belt would not retract fully leaving the belt buckle clip to hang right between the door jamb and the door panel - right where the tear was.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just spoke to the dealer and they sounded very skeptical but agreed to look at it Monday. The rip is on the passenger side towards the door opening about 4" or so below the window. Do you think I'm just grasping at straws to think it might have been the seat belt? Do you think I should just beat my children and take it to the auto upholstery place as the dealer suggested?

My first major ding and it's so weird - I was expecting my first ding to be on the exterior! :(

·
Registered
616 Posts
Well, mine was a little easier to prove - it was near the fold that the door panel makes to wrap around the door jamb, and, I could see the matching scratch in the door jamb paint from the other end of the seat belt clip.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
mh-

If you can show that the seatbelt is the culprit, AND THAT IT WAS CAUSED BY THE BELT NOT PROPERLY RETRACTINGG, the dealer should cover it.

Even if it isn't concrete proof, if you show it to the service manager, and pose it is 'the belt is sometimes sluggish and this is what musta' happened'- all he has to do is write it up that way and acura covers it.

gluck

Ard

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dealer agreed to process as warranty claim and replace that section of the door panel. They agreed it could have been caused by the seat belt not retracting properly. Whew! I feel better - thanks for the words of advice. :)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts