Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Used 2016 I bought with 10k miles from an acura dealer, non-cpo.

After purchase I noticed the left rear door is not closing flush with the rest of the body. I notice the door edge protruding a bit - it's tiny in terms of centimeters but noticeable. Especialy when I compare to the right rear door which closes very smoothly and flush.

Could this be a manufacturer defect? Has anyone else experienced this? The carfax was clean which I know could be mmeaningless and the sales manager said they don't sell cars that had been in accidents (also meaningless?).

·
Registered
268 Posts
If the vehicle wasn't in an accident, it very well could be a manufacturing/assembly defect. This generation MDX has had its share of initial quality issues.

One of my rear doors was the same way on my '15. I had the dealership take care of it under warranty. They said it took the tech quite a bit of time to work on it, but he was able to adjust it and got it done right.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
As Emmet said, it's pretty normal Acura QC, though none of us really like that fact. Some people chose to fix it, but others chose to leave it (worries about seals not sitting as they should once adjusted). Your call here whether to ask for it to be fixed.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Your vehicle's under warranty still so if it's bothersome to you have them fix it. There have been lots of posts about misaligned doors on the third gen MDX - apparently still happening despite the model being 3 model years old now.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have an early build 2014 (purchased June 2013) All MDXs on the lot had the rear left door problem. I assumed Acura fixed it and have seen many 2015 and 2016 without the issue; but some still come off the line with it.

The seal is fine. I have noticed at the car wash they always open and close that door thinking it is still partially open.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Used 2016 I bought with 10k miles from an acura dealer, non-cpo.

After purchase I noticed the left rear door is not closing flush with the rest of the body. I notice the door edge protruding a bit - it's tiny in terms of centimeters but noticeable. Especialy when I compare to the right rear door which closes very smoothly and flush.

Could this be a manufacturer defect? Has anyone else experienced this? The carfax was clean which I know could be mmeaningless and the sales manager said they don't sell cars that had been in accidents (also meaningless?).
use a square edge or evenly flat surface (like a ruler) and see where there is an indeed tilt between the door seam and the panel of the car. i say this as it could just be your eyes playing tricks on you with the car's sleek lines.

·
Registered
52 Posts
In order to account for when the vehicle is driving at speed, starting at the front fenders each panel must be slightly further out than the next in order to keep the debris off of your paint. The front fender will be slightly further out than drivers door, drivers door further out than rear door and rear door further out than rear quarter panel. If they were flush you would end up with stone chips on the leading edge of the next panel.

If it is excessive than have it adjusted, if it is same as the rest on that side it is normal.

·
Registered
357 Posts
In order to account for when the vehicle is driving at speed, starting at the front fenders each panel must be slightly further out than the next in order to keep the debris off of your paint. The front fender will be slightly further out than drivers door, drivers door further out than rear door and rear door further out than rear quarter panel. If they were flush you would end up with stone chips on the leading edge of the next panel.

If it is excessive than have it adjusted, if it is same as the rest on that side it is normal.
Now you're talking BMW here, this is waaaaay too complex for Acura. Don't even mention that to your dealer, EVER, they'll think that you're a crazy man :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
use a square edge or evenly flat surface (like a ruler) and see where there is an indeed tilt between the door seam and the panel of the car. i say this as it could just be your eyes playing tricks on you with the car's sleek lines.
haven't had a chance to take it in yet. but I mean, it's very obvious there's an issue when comparing the right side door to the left side. I also noticed that when closing the door the sound isn't as smooth as the other non-defective side.

my main concern now is that when I take it in, that they will not say you're out of luck because it was in an accident. that will make me say aye caramba

·
Registered
268 Posts
haven't had a chance to take it in yet. but I mean, it's very obvious there's an issue when comparing the right side door to the left side. I also noticed that when closing the door the sound isn't as smooth as the other non-defective side.

my main concern now is that when I take it in, that they will not say you're out of luck because it was in an accident. that will make me say aye caramba

There are two things you can do to check if the car's been in an accident.

1. Buy a CARFAX report. I understand that CARFAX won't have every single accident reported, but there's still a chance that it would show up if one occurred.

2. Have someone experienced in auto body work take a quick look. I don't have a keen eye for this stuff, but someone with experience in that area should be able to tell you after a quick inspection if there's evidence of body repair.

Plus, I don't think it'll hurt to ask the Acura dealership. If you don't at least ask them, then there's pretty much no chance they'll fix it. Since it doesn't seem to require immediate attention, you could get your maintenance done there and have the door issue addressed at the same time at your next service interval.

·
Registered
90 Posts
There are rubber bumpers inside the doorjamb. You might want to look to see if they are screwed too far out...I lost one and had to replace and re jigger the door. They are round and screw in and out to adjust.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts