Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed door edge guards today. After doing a bit of research I settled on the ones from trim-gard. The following is the link:

http://www.trim-gard.com/product.php3?Partno=400-50

It's the U-shaped one and the one I got had 50 feet worth of the guard. You can pick which color you want, and I selected number 14 for silver.

I called trim-gard.com and they gave me a local dealer. I called the local dealer and ordered direct for $21.71 + Tax + Shipping. The package came pretty quickly in the attached box:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The main reason I got them, was because since I park in a garage, my door has hit the garage wall multiple times on the driver's side in the front and in the back. (There's just very little clearance.) As a result I've gotten some chipping of the paint on the edge of the doors.

Therefore, the installation was to protect from future chips and maybe even preventing any of the doors dinging other cars.

Here's a pic of some of the paint chipped off the door edge on the driver's side.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I said the package came with 50 ft. of the material. For $21.71 it was much cheaper than anywhere else.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's to give you an idea of the color matching.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is what it looks like. Notice the U shape.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Notice that there is a layer of silicone that is used to "glue" onto the door edge. The silicone supposedly does not damage the paint and will come off easily in case the guards need to be removed again.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Better pic to see the silicone.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's the before pic of the passenger side back door.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another before pic

Attachments

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Initial application. Pretty straight forward, just open it up a bit and press against the door. I cut the tip of the guard, so it will be flush against the top of the door edge with a regular pair of scissors.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mostly done.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Door finished. After pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With door closed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The front door was just a bit different. The door edge actually goes up and then across where the window is. Just slightly different.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The guard is applied accordingly in the front passenger door.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is what it looks like with my BSMs. I had no problems sliding the edge guards under the BSM. Since there isn't 3M tape right at the beginning for the BSMs there is enough space for the door edge guard to slide underneath without me having to peal off the BSM even a little.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Side view of two doors with the edge guards. Blends in pretty nicely. Feels like the BSMs in terms of blending.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Further out

Attachments

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hard to tell when looking from further out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here are the scissors I used anytime I needed to cut the guards. Just line up with the edge, and chop...

You see that I have a lot of the guard leftover after I installed all four doors. Anyone interested? I didn't even use half (my guess is about 15 or 16 feet) but I'll sell the remainder for $12 + shipping and ship it in the original box (you can then resell it again:D).

Hope this helps anyone considering door edge guards...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 65 Posts