Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled into the Anderson's Pea Soup restaurant parking lot to make use of their men's room (the rest stop farther down the freeway is closed). Anderson's on a Sunday is a crowded place, so it was probably a mistake from the beginning... Anyway, I had to go really bad, so I risked it and pulled into a space in the lot.

There were no end spaces.

There were no spaces next to nice looking / expensive cars.

There was only one space. Either park there or launder my pants. :8: I should have chosen the laundry route!

Seconds after I pull in, the passenger door in the car next to me flies open and smacks my door! Argh! :3:

It left the tiniest of scratches, which I'm sure will polish out. I showed it to the women who did it. She said, "sorry," and walked away.

Whatcha gonna do? Violence, ranging from verbal, to physical, to mere property damage, all went through my mind.

But (it's only a car and it's only a tiny scratch). She lived.

Of course only now do I remember we had the kid's porta-potty in the car...

And of course only now do I realize that, instead of using the porta-potty on the side of the road, I could have used it in the lot and left her a present. :12:

·
Registered
671 Posts
At least she said "sorry" - when it happened to me many years ago, I got a "harrrummpphh" and was left contemplating the same alternatives - verbal abuse, bodily harm, property damage. Luckily we both chose the level-headed approach and kept ourselves out of jail.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I'd have been inclined to leave a present from your kids' porta-potty. Or ding back (with shoe).:25: Good that cooler heads prevailed, of course.

by Rail
However.. "I pulled into the Anderson's Pea Soup restaurant parking lot to make use of their men's room".. I know there's a joke in there somewhere
:19: I'm sure not gonna eat there next trip down I5!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Nice thing about my 128K mi beater...

Is when I get smacked in the parking lot it just adds to the "charm":p

I consider it like on the "TLC Trading Spaces decorator shows" -- the good people who bounce their doors off my crapmobile are just "distressing it" for that "designer" lived in "shabby chic" look.:26:

I've even got HUGE flaky rust spots and lovely dangley "used to be trim, but now is security" accessorizing:rolleyes:

Once we actually part with the cash to get into an MDX we'll be in much better shape from walking in from the "boonies" parking spaces...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Not sure about you, but door dings bug the crap out of me!:3: ...more than it should...but then again, its payback for all the bad thing I did when I was a teen...:D

·
Registered
157 Posts
Couple of years ago, at Toys R us, we had the door open so we can put my baby into the car seat in my Carmy. A strong wind caught the door and slightly banged in against a Camaro. Hardly noticeable. Not even a dent...just a small scratch which a Zaino 5 could have easily corrected.

Boy the scene, calling me all sort of name, asking me for my insurance, etc, etc. Called the cops to sort of calm the guy down but would not come since it happend at the Parking and damage probably was less than $500.

The guy actual had the whole side of his car painted! Cost was around $600 (my insurance) dealt with the guy.

What was sweet was...when I ran into the same guy at the same store few weeks later...his car looked awful! The paint job wasn't good at all and the painted side did not match the rest of the car!

Anyway, what would anyone do if someone does put a dent on your MDX while you are sitting in the MDX?

Mike

·
Registered
206 Posts
What happens when you park in a nice wide spot, with not a care or worry about someone dinging your door, but then your son dings one of the rear pillars because he was putting a ladder in the MDX and was not thinking as he swung it around.

Since I have used dingmasters or equivalent before on another car, and the work was flawless, I assume I can get the ding out. Its about $75 for the first ding.

If someone dinged my door and I was there when it happened, I would make them pay. If someone backs into your car, its usually due to an "Accident", rather than being on purpose. So a door ding, even if an accident, should be paid for too. Usually one is not around when the ding occurs.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
kinda expected......

jonnygoodboy said:
..............She said, "sorry," and walked away...........
Sorry about your misfortune, but I notice you live in Southern California......figures :rolleyes: ............no offence to the minority of sane, good people who live in California, but here we probably have some of the snootiest, rudest and most pretentious horrible excuses for human beings living here in the Los Angeles metro area..........And they say New Yorkers are rude.......yeah right :rolleyes:
.........actually as someone earlier said I'm quite surprised she even said "sorry" and not something like "oh"

That said, I had a very interesting thing happen to me the other day. I had parked in a mini-mall to pick up some lunch from Subway. While I was walking out towards my car, two women came running towards me, very apologetic, telling me they'd just scraped my 1-month old 2003 Corolla, while backing out of the parking spot........They said they'd gone looking in every store trying to find out who's car it was.......wow!!!!!!!! unbelievable......it reaalllly hit home that there are still good, decent, honest human beings left in this world

·
Registered
285 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Door dinged while I was in the car!

DaleB said:

Great question!!!
And if you don't would it have helped?
while, the bsm might help prevent dings from sedans, not from big suvs.... as i learnt from my own experience....

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Just curious,

What would be the resolution if you know who did it? Have them pay or ask for their insurance card?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Lessons learned.

Next time don't park beside two door cars, or in windy situations park farther and walk. Even shopping carts can damage your paint on windy days.

Happened to me before while parking to pay for my electric bills, this guy pulled beside me and opened his Cirrus while still pulling in and hit my Prelude. It was ugly its a running scratch. I showed it to him and he didn't even say sorry. So I waited until he entered to pay his bills and kicked his car and left, with his alarms going off. I felt so relieved. I should have not done it but I could have done worse.

Then I went to the mall, called the cops, told them I don't know who did it. So its a hit and run case. I paid half my deductible.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BaldEagle and DaleB wanted to know whether I have BSMs, and whether it would have helped if I did.

I don't have BSMs (yet :) ). Looked at some pix on this site showing BSMs: it looks like they are at the same level as the top of the wheel well. That's exactly where the teensy weensy scratch is (it's not even a ding).

·
Registered
285 Posts
well, i got a ding with bsm installed.... since it was caused by a ford expedition, the bsm didn't help there......

·
Registered
219 Posts
Got a crease in the crease.

I got wacked by a big old 4X4 with a lift kit. It left a 4" crease in the top of my door, right across the body crease that runs down the side of the car. BSMs would not have helped. Actually, I have found that BSMs never help. They are a concept that just doesn't work.

It cost me $150 for Dentpro to take the crease out. The paint wasn't broken or scratched, so it is invisible now. But, I am $150 lighter. I didn't park next to them, or anybody else. They chose to park next to me. I wasn't in the car when they did it, but I saw them do it from across the lot. They drove off before I could throw myself on the hood of their rustbucket. Turds. They probably couldn't have come up with the $150 to pay for the damage anyway.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
YEEEAAAHHHH!.......

cardingtr said:
Lessons learned.

Next time don't park beside two door cars, or in windy situations park farther and walk. Even shopping carts can damage your paint on windy days.

Happened to me before while parking to pay for my electric bills, this guy pulled beside me and opened his Cirrus while still pulling in and hit my Prelude. It was ugly its a running scratch. I showed it to him and he didn't even say sorry. So I waited until he entered to pay his bills and kicked his car and left, with his alarms going off. I felt so relieved. I should have not done it but I could have done worse.

Then I went to the mall, called the cops, told them I don't know who did it. So its a hit and run case. I paid half my deductible.
..........I HOPE YOU DID SOME REAALLLL GOOOD DAMAGE TO HIS VEHICLE!!!!.......Yeah, like DaleB said, it's the attitude that really p*sses me off, more than the damage itself. If someone gave me a bad attitude on top of what they did, I could be VERY VERY VINDICTIVE....and go to uncommon lengths to get even.

.....when those ladies scraped my corolla, they were so apologetic, distressed - (even more so than me :D ) and more than anything, honest, that I even felt bad making their insurance pay for my damage (but they insisted, oh well :) )

1 - 20 of 42 Posts