Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The NAV / voice command is daft in the MDX. I recently had a TLX loaner (2018 I think, maybe a 2017) and I could enter destinations in the NAV while the vehicle was in motion. Seems like an easy software change - if the recent models have it, why can't Acura change the older models.

Here's my experience with my $900 Android phone using Google voice / maps - "OK Google" - pause - "Navigate to 2 Arrowsmith Rd." Done - the phone starts Google maps and begins navigating.

With my $250 Garmin Nuvi - "Voice Command" - Garmin says "speak the name or blah blah (I forget exactly what it says)" - Me - "2 Arrowsmith Rd." - Garmin says - "Would you like to navigate to 2 Arrowsmith Rd." 'Yes" Navigation begins.

With my $60 000 Acura MDX - Press the talk button - "After the beep, speak the blah blah blah." Me - Address. After the beep, speak the ..blah blah blah. Me - Street. SO FAR SO GOOD!!!!

After the beep spell the name of the street blah blah. Beep...Me "2 Arrowsmith Rd. "Whoops..NO NO...I have to SPELL the street (unless I'm missing some secret command). Why wouldn't this thing be designed to recognize a spoken street name??!!

Beep - A - Acura - A. Beep - R - Acura R. Beep - R - Acura R. Beep - Me "O" - not recognized. Beep - Me "OO" - not recognized. Beep - Me "OOOHHH" - not recognized. Beep - Me "Owww" - not recognized.

Me - "Ah-hooo, werewolves of London" Acura - "W". WTF...this is why I'm buying a NAViKS that will allow me to enter destinations on the touch screen while in motion.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
You can configure the speech recognition not to speak the instructions. It just beeps and lets you talk — really speeds things up.

Reactions: tsd345 and rcy

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol..OK. Thanks. I just push the talk button again while it's speaking and it cuts right to the beep.

Still...it's a maddening, mind numbing exercise to enter a destination using it.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Lol..OK. Thanks. I just push the talk button again while it's speaking and it cuts right to the beep.

Still...it's a maddening, mind numbing exercise to enter a destination using it.
Yea, infotainment is not Acura’s strongest feature.

It will never be great, but configuring the speech recognition to never prompt does help.

If you have an active AcuraLink connect package you can also use destination assistance. I find that to be much better than the onboard voice recognition. Also, with AcuraLink you can talk to a live operator who will search/send destinations to your in-dash nav, on request.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Naviks is only $179. Forever.

I have all three tiers free for one year (good until Dec 2018) and then the two lower tiers free for four years (until Dec 2021), so I don't mind spending on the Naviks

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
Whoa where are you getting Naviks for $179? That's the price for the lockout bypass, but the base unit is $399 and then whatever wifi unit you want to use (or just use an HDMI cable).
Are you sure? It looks like the $399 is if you want to incorporate any video (camera, game consoles, etc.) I think you only need the bypass for the nav to work. At least this is how the Prestigious Society module works on my Lexus. Do you have this installed? I could be all wet as well. :)

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Are you sure? It looks like the $399 is if you want to incorporate any video (camera, game consoles, etc.) I think you only need the bypass for the nav to work. At least this is how the Prestigious Society module works on my Lexus. Do you have this installed? I could be all wet as well. :)
Yeah iI wasn't sure if rcy was talking about the actual mirroring unit which is $399 or only the lock out bypass harness that lets you input addresses while on the move into the oem navi.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
801 Posts
Is it true that when utilizing acura voice command even if you speak the proper commands it forces you to spell out the street name? Meaning if you are navigating to Main Street, you can't just say "Main Street" it forces you to spell it out one letter at a time?

M-A-I-N space S-T-R-E-E-T

If it follows the pattern below this I would understand as it's asking for 1 piece of info at a time and having you pick what you want, which is easier to do then full on natural language recognition (like Google). FYI, this is essentially the experience using infiniti voice control. If beyond this it also forces you to spell things out one letter at a time that's dumb:

Acura: Please speak the state name
You: Minnesota
Acura: Minnesota
Acura: Please speak the city name
You: Minneapolis
Acura: Please select the city from the list of matching entries (Minneapolis is #1)
You: 1
Acura: Minneapolis
Acura: Please speak the street name
You: Main Street
Acura: Please select the street from the list of matching entries (Main Street is #1)
You: 1
Acura: Main Street
Acura: What house number?
You: 2-3-1-5
Acura: 2-3-1-5 Main Street, Minneapolis. Calculate route or show map?
You: Calculate Route
Acura: Calculating route

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Is it true that when utilizing acura voice command even if you speak the proper commands it forces you to spell out the street name? Meaning if you are navigating to Main Street, you can't just say "Main Street" it forces you to spell it out one letter at a time?

M-A-I-N space S-T-R-E-E-T

If it follows the pattern below this I would understand as it's asking for 1 piece of info at a time and having you pick what you want, which is easier to do then full on natural language recognition (like Google). FYI, this is essentially the experience using infiniti voice control. If beyond this it also forces you to spell things out one letter at a time that's dumb:

...snip...
You do NOT have to spell things out. You can speak naturally and the system is supposed to figure it out.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Are you sure? I've tried speaking street names and every single time, it forces me to spell it letter by letter. Am I missing some command? Maybe, I'll actually read the Navigation manual...lol.
yes, my 2017 definitely accepts normal words. Video:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
2014 doesn't have this.

Even my 2006 had a feature that would help with failed voice recognition, but it doesn't appear that it carried over to this gen (not sure about the 2nd gen) - if it doesn't recognize a letter being spelled, it give you a screen where you can select the letter by number.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.