Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After got oil consumption warranty repaired 3 months ago, this is what happened tonight while our cars were parked on the driveway.

20200625_221042.jpg

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn, man, my condolences! 2 for one? Yikes!
I thought the boom sound was firecracker. I didn't bother to even look out the windows until my neighbor banged our door. The Odyssey is totalled, I think the MDX is totalled too. The rear axle is pushed in and the rear quarter panel pushed in as well. Man, can't afford two car payments.

·
Registered
691 Posts
WTF..... sorry to see this. I hope the person has insurance - sadly it seems folks are going without insurance during this time.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WTF..... sorry to see this. I hope the person has insurance - sadly it seems folks are going without insurance during this time.
That was exactly first words came out of my mouth after I saw it "WTF!"

His registration showed insurance coverage, but that is not assurance. Last year, a woman hit the van, the registration showed she is covered but the insurance was canceled. I had to go to small claim court. My insurance covered the damage that time.

My insurance will cover both cars if this guy does not have active insurance. The only inconvenience is that I have to go to court as witness because the insurance company sue the driver.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
super sad. the cars should die from running on the roads. not like this. it's a pretty good ending for a fiat or chrysler, hahaha.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
super sad. the cars should die from running on the roads. not like this. it's a pretty good ending for a fiat or chrysler, hahaha.
2000 Chevy.

I spent $3000 last years for depaxing the van. Arghhhh...

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I really hate to see that happening to you. You were probably in the sweet spot of no car payments and minimal car cost other than routine maintenance. I feel you on thinking about having a carpayment. Not sure why any car payments bug me more compared to a house payment?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Car payment is money in the water. House payment is money in the bank, or better.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Car payment, you pay for something that is depreciated in values.

House payment, not renting, you pay for something that is appreciated in values.

Consider car payment of $500/month for 60 months, that is $30,000! Savings potential. Invest that wisely, have the potential to earn more. In my case, if I were to buy 2 cars at $500/month each, that would be $60,000 in 5 years! Lots of $$$.

I bought my house now in 2011 for $300K, now is estimated at $625K.

That is how I look at car payments.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Car payment, you pay for something that is depreciated in values.

House payment, not renting, you pay for something that is appreciated in values.

Consider car payment of $500/month for 60 months, that is $30,000! Savings potential. Invest that wisely, have the potential to earn more. In my case, if I were to buy 2 cars at $500/month each, that would be $60,000 in 5 years! Lots of $$$.

I bought my house now in 2011 for $300K, now is estimated at $625K.

That is how I look at car payments.

Smart. Im in the same boat, trying to keep my oil consuming mdx that they wont do any warranty work on as long as possible and hope. Just need to do the timing belt etc and hope it can last a few more years. The longer, the more money we can save. I dont think ill get another MDX though, if they have these kind of issues and dealers/corporate wont look after us, ill buy something else that will at least last well past the warranty. This has barely made it (9 yrs) and the issues to repair on our own are expensive. Oil consumption, could have radiator issues, and might need a new cat down the line not to mention the other stuff that just breaks for no reason.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Smart. Im in the same boat, trying to keep my oil consuming mdx that they wont do any warranty work on as long as possible and hope. Just need to do the timing belt etc and hope it can last a few more years. The longer, the more money we can save. I dont think ill get another MDX though, if they have these kind of issues and dealers/corporate wont look after us, ill buy something else that will at least last well past the warranty. This has barely made it (9 yrs) and the issues to repair on our own are expensive. Oil consumption, could have radiator issues, and might need a new cat down the line not to mention the other stuff that just breaks for no reason.
what year is your mdx?

·
Registered
23 Posts
nzone, What was the verdict? They both totaled? Real sorry if it is, but I'm also half curious where you MDX will end up if it is totaled. Since you already had the oil consumption fix, getting your engine swapped in might be cheaper than paying for the fix myself. (Sorry man...I know...I'm being cold when the wounds are still probably fresh).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts