Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed the rear climate control plastic was looking pretty haggard, so I decided to attempt to shine it up nice to try and restore it a little. What I found is that I believe there is a coating or something on the plastic itself. I was seeing spotting, from what I now understand might have been some chemical that made contact with it. So it went from scratched and splattered looking, to a nice hot spot I hand buffed into it. Too much elbow grease!

I used a terry cloth and some mothers chrome polish.

Before 1

Before 2

After DOH!

Reactions: RainGoat

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
200 Posts
What kind of polish did you use on it? I have a small dull spot on the clear plastic over the fake wood on my center console where something obviously rubbed on it for a long time. Was thinking of hitting it with some plexiglass polish or headlight lens polish on a rag.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used mothers chrome polish, which is supposed to be excellent for clearing up plastic (especially headlights)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I recommend you wet sand with 800 until the whole piece is uniform in appearance then 1000,2000 and maybe 2500. Then use rubbing compound and finish off with mothers headlight polish. It should come out looking new. The chrome polish compound is too strong for plastics!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I recommend you wet sand with 800 until the whole piece is uniform in appearance then 1000,2000 and maybe 2500. Then use rubbing compound and finish off with mothers headlight polish. It should come out looking new. The chrome polish compound is too strong for plastics!
Thank's for the heads up on the chrome polish. We used to use mother's aluminum polish on our headlights back in the day with perfect results.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.