Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as I've tried to avoid it, I think I'm going to have to invest in one of those dog ramps so that my dog has an easier time getting into the MDX. I'm going to perform a search on the net, but does anyone have any brand they particularly like or recommend I stay away from?

Dana

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have dealt with a company ," CABELA'S" for over 20 years . There reputation for quality is undisputable. Call them and they will send you a catalog. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Dana,
I bought a dog ramp for my Great Pyr at the following site:

http://www.fancypaws.com/petstep.html

The ramp folds in half, thus fits in cargo area nicely. The problem with this one is it has plastic surface which causes my dogs paws to slip. If I put some carpet strips or treads on it, my dog could probably handle it. Another technique to get the pooch in the back is to first lift his or her front legs onto the cargo deck then pick up the back paws/rear and walk him in. Unless your dog is arthritic, he can jump out fine. There is another ramp out there that is carpeted and telescopes but will not fit into the back of the MDX without the middle seat down. I don't know anything about the brand the Jazz recommended but here are some considerations for whatever you decide.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Follow up

DMYLES,

I was just looking thru a Cabelas catalog and saw their pet ramp, and it made me wonder if you ever found a satisfactory ramp yet?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hmmm, Could you just train you puppy to run and jump into the back. I have the cargo liner and all I do I lay the flap down and my puppy hops right in. Of course she does'nt have to jump that high since she is a Great Dane...:D

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2YR OLD GREYHOUND

Thanks for all the suggestions. Yes, well interestingly enough my dog is a Greyhound (his pic is in the 'Show us your pet' thread), so you would THINK he could just jump in the back (not as tall as a Great Dane, but tall enough). And he had been doing just fine. But one afternoon, I had the blanket I was using to line the back too close to the edge (haven't bought the cargo liner yet) and my baby slipped and fell. So now he's terrified of the BIG WHITE MONSTER and refuses to hop willingly in the back. So I've gone back to putting his front paws on the back and hoisting the rest of his body in the MDX. But it doesn't always work (he freaks out), and getting him in the back is becoming a major ordeal. Definitely not what I was intending.

I'm confident he'll eventually get over this and go back to hopping in, so I didn't want to invest too much $$$ in a ramp. My boyfriend (who makes wood furniture as a hobby) saw pics of what I was looking at, and refused to let me buy one---- he made one instead. It's carpeted and folds in half so I can fit it neatly in the MDX. I haven't tested it out yet, but I'm sure it'll do the job!

Dana

·
Registered
35 Posts
Dana, throw a treat up in the back as a reward and your bady will soon loose it fear of jumping into the MDX. Our baby is a welsch terrier and she has no problems at all getting into the back of the X .

·
Registered
245 Posts
Dana,

I would look into buying a cargo liner from Tim. If you have a puppy the cargo liner is a Great piece of mind. My puppy did get freaked out about hopping into the back at first. Since she is a Great Dane, she can't hop up too high because her back will hit the roof. Treats are a great bribe to get them in there. Now if I could get the puppy to stop turning on the middle dome lights with her back. That happens all the time, especially when I hope out to go into the store for a second. She probally is doing the same thing the dog in the Nissan Pathfinder commercial (I think) was doing. The dog that was drinking out of the Slurpee cup without the drivers knowledge...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts