• Yes, but a repair has resolved

Votes: 8 3.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At low speeds brake calipers shift, causing a clunking at one to four wheels. Problem is most pronounced when a shift in momentum occurs; backing up and then moving forward; stopping on a slope; stopping and then moving foward again.

The result is an ongoing "thunk", "clunk", or even a "clicking" during low speed driving.

I'm trying to gague how wide spread this issue really is. Please vote in the poll.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Clunk

I'm in the not sure category, however, I'll point it out on my upcoming 7500mi service...:4:

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
If the majority say "yes" and its not a safety issue, then I take it that, its a characteristic of the MDX, and ignore it.
:8:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Got clunk?

It's a feature, not a characteristic. :D

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
This looks like a pretty common feature? of the MDX and maybe Acura vehicles.

I feel left out. My MDX is not a clicker. For those of you that hear it did it occur when you first got your X or did you have to put on a few thousand miles before it started to click?

Do you need to turn off the stereo and roll down a window to hear it?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I mentioned it to my dealer, and they put "Standard MDX brake shifting noise" on the workorder and gave it back to me.

I don't think it happened right away, it took a little while for it to start.

-Charles

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
BaldEagle said:
............ For those of you that hear it did it occur when you first got your X or did you have to put on a few thousand miles before it started to click?

Do you need to turn off the stereo and roll down a window to hear it?
I noticed after a few thousand miles & only when I roll down the window & turn down the stereo. I haven't bothered to have it fixed & won't unless I see that it's a safety issue.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Never heard a thing (01 MDX w/68K). Then again I've never listend for it. What with my music blasting away at blood-pouring-out-ear levels, how could I hear anything! Gotta go I think my wife's calling me (or is that just the voices in my head). Tomorrow I'll drive without music and let you know.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Didn't hear it on the '03.

·
Registered
191 Posts
With mine it is also windows down stereo low. I think I am hearing it more now. The noise is a click at slow speed. I notice it when I am first starting out.

·
Registered
93 Posts
colemanpc said:
At low speeds brake calipers shift, causing a clunking at one to four wheels. Problem is most pronounced when a shift in momentum occurs; backing up and then moving forward; stopping on a slope; stopping and then moving foward again.

The result is an ongoing "thunk", "clunk", or even a "clicking" during low speed driving.

I'm trying to gague how wide spread this issue really is. Please vote in the poll.

Thanks.
Maybe, but I thought my "thunk" was the gas tank thing ..........:eek:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
We've got it (thunk). Has gotten progessively worse over time. Dealer worked on it once with no improvement. They claim that they can now fix it. The X will go in at the end of the year for this problem, noise from the 2nd seat, and routine maintenance.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Lexus RX300 Clunks too

I never noticed the clunk when the MDX was new ... but with 50K on the vehicle it's quite noticeable. It doesn't bother me and it sounds like it's a characteristic of the vehicle.

If it's any consolation, my parent's RX300 also clunks (but didn't clunk when it was new). They have 30K on their vehicle.

·
Registered
699 Posts
How to tell the sounds apart

Some people's posts indicate they're not sure how to tell the difference between the gas tank thunk and the brake clank.

** The gas tank thunk sounds like a softball rolling around in the trunk.

** The brake clank is unmistakeably mechanical.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I noticed something when we had less than 1000 mi. on our X. Besides hearing the sound (just a little), I can even feel it when I'm braking, at low speeds. Is this a part of the "clunk" too? I feel a gentle thump while pressing the brake, most often first thing in the morning. Is anyone else experiencing this, too?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the brake clunk. Have had it since I got the X, although it's gotten worse since about 18k miles. I'm almost due for the next service appt and I'll mention it then. Not sure whether there is a fix or not. Have had nothing but good service from my dealer, so if it can be fixed and I ask them to do so, I expect it will be.

·
Registered
443 Posts
It seems like an issue most MDXs have, including mine. It appears also that this issue does not cause problems.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts