Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Damn. This repair kit can’t be used to patch it up?
As an off-roader, I’m quite familiar with those kits. Those tire kits are really focused on getting you back to civilization when you’re in the backcountry. They’re really more of a temporary solution, I would treat such a repair with caution regarding high speed, highway driving.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is the type of bonding compound or glue that will bond the rubble tire after filling the hole or cut. I know it sound stupids but I want to give it a try. I think I have been driving with this cut for about a year now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
vulcanizing tire cement

If the cut is just in the tread, it's not the end of the world until the tread starts to come apart. Which it will. You could try just filling the gap with the cement and sealing the tread down. That may delay damage to the tread. I would NOT put a plug in it as that requires actually forcing the plug completely through the tire. Makes no sense if it's just tread damage.

·
Registered
986 Posts
in the first photo you can see the cords running through the lower edge of the tread. Even if you glued the tire back together would you really trust it? A good chunk of it's integrity has been removed. One hard impact or bump could cause blowout on the highway and bye-bye life!

If you are worried about the AWD system, either buy 2 new tires and get a road hazard plan OR buy a new tire from tirerack or another place and have them shave the tire to match your current tire on the other side:

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
vulcanizing tire cement

If the cut is just in the tread, it's not the end of the world until the tread starts to come apart. Which it will. You could try just filling the gap with the cement and sealing the tread down. That may delay damage to the tread. I would NOT put a plug in it as that requires actually forcing the plug completely through the tire. Makes no sense if it's just tread damage.
What is the acceptable tire tread depth difference for the AWD?

·
Registered
652 Posts
A while back when I needed to replace one tire, I measured the tire tread depth. Then I looked on ebay to find a used tire with the same make/model and tread depth. Brought it to townfair tire to mount it. Initially they refused, but I explained that the tire is the same make/model with same tread depth. They came out to measure the tread and mount the tire.

Don't take chance, it is about $100 off ebay.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
448 Posts
In the tire biz...NEVER plug a tire for road use. NEVER. Patch or patch/plug only.

The max acceptable difference in tread depth for the AWD is 2/32", but personally I would want 1/32 or less. Do the calculations of the difference in number of rotations at 2/32 and you will find it is significant.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Tirerack will shave tires down as far as 4/32nds, IIRC. I think it's like $25. So, you could always get one from there. Measure the other three and see where you're at.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Tirerack will shave tires down as far as 4/32nds, IIRC. I think it's like $25. So, you could always get one from there. Measure the other three and see where you're at.
I have one lightly used tire and will do a tread measurement comparison. Tire shops here in Boston don’t do shaving. They said it is illegal. One tire shop told me as long it is between 2-5/32 difference between the old and new it should be ok for AWD.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Tire Rack is mail order so, if they do shaving, that’s probably a good bet. They’ve been reliable for my 35 years of car ownership.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tire Rack is mail order so, if they do shaving, that’s probably a good bet. They’ve been reliable for my 35 years of car ownership.
I have a new tire already that discount tire sent it to me a while back. I don’t want to purchase another tire.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The tread difference between used and new tire is 4/32. Is this ok to replace just one tire ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
The tread difference between used and new tire is 4/32. Is this ok to replace just one tire ?
Me, personally, I wouldn't go any higher than 2/32nd difference. Think about your differential. It's gonna be sitting like this / With the fluid pooling up on the one side but dry on the other. And, hey, maybe it's not that extreme. But, after thousands of miles do you want to take the chance that it may or may not do some real damage?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts