Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing different posters post their issues with the mdx, does it scare you in the long term reliability (talking about >100k miles) and factor how long you will keep the mdx for?

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Nope! I have +143,000 miles on my 11 MDX Adv+Ent and it still performs like the day I purchased her used back in 2014.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Another nope!

The first thing you have to realize is that forums will always be heavy on complaint posters. That comes from people having a problem and doing a Google search then coming here and posting their problem either for help addressing it or just to blow steam. There are a small percentage of us here that focus on understanding the weak spots (all cars have them) with the purpose of addressing those issues early to avoid an expensive repair that could have been avoided. I come here for several other reasons as well. I used it to understand any particular model years or options that are trouble spots so I can avoid them, and to help others do the same or help them fix problems they have. Personally I would avoid the Advance models that have the active damper suspension due to early failure and expensive repair, as well as 2010-13 models due to oil consumption issues. A properly vetted '14-'15 could be my next move as I don't want anything to do with the 9 speed ZF transmission, but if in my budget I would consider a 2020+ with the 10 speed and possibly even a hybrid. I've been out of the new car market for quite some time due to other financial priorities and have settled on the strategy of finding 6-8 year old cars with 100K+ miles that have a proven platform with minimal repair issues that have been reasonably cared for. I can then drive that car with mostly DIY maintenance and repair for 100K+ miles at a very low cost per mile. By eliminating cars that have troublesome high cost components like a weak engine or transmission my chances of a low trouble car are pretty good.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I've should have been more specific because I've had issues; but, they were minor or covered by warranty such as:
  • all magnetic shocks/struts replaced, warranty
  • both seat heaters replaced, warranty
  • Driver 1 key fob replace, warranty
  • 6AT TSB update
  • replaced OEM battery (replaced with AGM)
  • replaced stuck 2nd row cup holder, warranty
  • system firmware update to fix "check charging system" yellow warning
  • burn around 1 1/4 quarts of oil per 9000 mile oil change

·
Registered
264 Posts
Quite the opposite. The 2nd Gen MDX has an incredibly low incidence of problems. The HFL unit is annoying but typical of such things. The water leak is my only true disappointment - but easily identified & fixed thanks to this forum.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've should have been more specific because I've had issues; but, they were minor or covered by warranty such as:
  • all magnetic shocks/struts replaced, warranty
  • both seat heaters replaced, warranty
  • Driver 1 key fob replace, warranty
  • 6AT TSB update
  • replaced OEM battery (replaced with AGM)
  • replaced stuck 2nd row cup holder, warranty
  • system firmware update to fix "check charging system" yellow warning
  • burn around 1 1/4 quarts of oil per 9000 mile oil change
keep changing the oil at 9k intervals & youll be adding a engine to your list

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
keep changing the oil at 9k intervals & youll be adding a engine to your list
I use Mobil 1 since I purchased it at 30,000 miles back in 2014. The oil consumption hasn't changed and I stick to the 9K M.I.D. oil change intervals.

Reactions: RainGoat

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another nope!

The first thing you have to realize is that forums will always be heavy on complaint posters. That comes from people having a problem and doing a Google search then coming here and posting their problem either for help addressing it or just to blow steam. There are a small percentage of us here that focus on understanding the weak spots (all cars have them) with the purpose of addressing those issues early to avoid an expensive repair that could have been avoided. I come here for several other reasons as well. I used it to understand any particular model years or options that are trouble spots so I can avoid them, and to help others do the same or help them fix problems they have. Personally I would avoid the Advance models that have the active damper suspension due to early failure and expensive repair, as well as 2010-13 models due to oil consumption issues. A properly vetted '14-'15 could be my next move as I don't want anything to do with the 9 speed ZF transmission, but if in my budget I would consider a 2020+ with the 10 speed and possibly even a hybrid. I've been out of the new car market for quite some time due to other financial priorities and have settled on the strategy of finding 6-8 year old cars with 100K+ miles that have a proven platform with minimal repair issues that have been reasonably cared for. I can then drive that car with mostly DIY maintenance and repair for 100K+ miles at a very low cost per mile. By eliminating cars that have troublesome high cost components like a weak engine or transmission my chances of a low trouble car are pretty good.
I'm worried about oil consumption issue...I had done the test at couple oil changes ago and they said it was fine

This next oil change I will not tell them I am interested in consumption test, and bring it up 1000 miles later after oil change

·
Registered
894 Posts
How often should oil be changed
That's a loaded question and of course everyone has their own opinion. The MID is supposed to calculate in your particular driving style and mile type. Personally I use full synthetic every 5K and naturally I am "wasting" perfectly good oil according to the MID and if I had it analyzed I'm sure the answer would be the same, but I feel a lot better have a nice clean engine.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Ditto, I generally follow the MDXs recommendation on that vehicle. On my others I aim for 6,000mi (many times not happening until 8,000) but I too run Mobil1 in everything & I am undoubtedly changing my oil too frequently. For what it’s worth, my ‘02 Nissan Pathfinder had to have the engine opened at 102,000mi & 16 years (due to an inexcusable Nissan issue) & the entire engine was pristine - the cylinders even still had their crosshatching. The mechanics at the shop were so blown away that they brought me back to show it to me - they said it looked like a new engine inside. It was very reassuring for my technique.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Why not 10k interval?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I 9000 miles is about the average with the M.I.D. oil % around 10%-5% range. I probably could go to 10,000 miles to squeeze out more usage. The service due reminder starts to really bug me after a few weeks going from 15% to 10%.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I 9000 miles is about the average with the M.I.D. oil % around 10%-5% range. I probably could go to 10,000 miles to squeeze out more usage. The service due reminder starts to really bug me after a few weeks going from 15% to 10%.
Totally hear you, that’s why I target 6K - I often don’t get it done until 8K. On the MDX, I totally support 15% but I often don’t get to it until <=5%. Take now - it needs it but I can’t even go outside right now.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
8k-9k is about when mine calls for a change and I've used synthetic since the factory fill. Oil sampling shows that's still very conservative. It has started using about a 1/2 quart every 5k miles and the usage seems to increase after 5k miles so I've started just changing the oil at that point.

Regarding OP's question, I'm at just over 150k miles and still not a single problem with this car. Most reliable vehicle we've owned and in many ways I prefer it over our '18.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I'm at 60% oil level and my oil consumption is at zero on my 11 MDX. I should be +1/2 quart low by now. Seems like 100% city driving at speeds under 45 mph has slowed/stopped my usual 1 to 1 1/4 quart oil consumption between 9k oil changes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Quite the opposite, I welcome the issues as they prepare me for what may happen to mine. Everyone learns a lot from one another. Great place to not feel alone in the issues that come with owning a combustible engine. lol
Makes for a great reference point when the inevitable happens and I enjoy the ongoing education as they age and mileage grows.Great community for the MDX!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts