Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Does the top of your rear bumper get as filthy as mine????

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Sandman 
#1 ·
I am wondering if other MDX owners are having the same problem that I am . I can wash and dry and two days later this nook is filled with sand, dust and anything else in the air.
I wonder if you folks with rear spoilers avoid this problem?
They say that white hides the dirt but not in this area on my X. Is this only noticeable on the Taffeta White?
Any one else have this happening to them?
Harry

#2 ·
I have to agree with you.
My black MDX seems to catch a lot of dirt in that area. I have a tailgate deflector so that would not seem to make any difference.

#4 ·
hatch ledge area

The horizontal surface is very prone to collecting this crud. I notice the same junk collection on any wagon or SUV (yeah I always look at other cars in the lot at work, mall etc).

I think it is combination of: dew/moisture, 'stuff' falling while standing still, and of course the airflow 'pushing' stuff into these areas.

I don't think rear spoilers will effect this much, as the air flow would never "remerge" off of this horizontal/vertical interface of hatch & bumper. Even just playing around with a leaf blower you can see that you'd have to direct the air in from the SIDE of the vehicle to "blow away" any crud...

When washing this area you need to make sure you clean off the weatherstripping on the hatch & keep the latch/floor area clean too.

#5 ·
I can see now its just the shape of a wagon creates a dead air space out back.
renov8r
Thanks for the tip everyone

#6 ·
When we bought our first SUV, dealer claimed rear spoiler would "keep the back end clean" ... yeah, right ...

Harry, IMHO, the dirt on the back is just a fact of life. Happens on a car [to a lesser extent] and it happens with an SUV [to a MUCH bigger extent].

Guess there are only 2 choices:

(1) Don't drive it!

(2) Drive it, wash it, and enjoy doing both!!

:D

#7 ·
Well, the TD does keep the back window pretty clean - probably blows all that dust into the dead zone and onto the bumper!

I live up a dirt road, usually give it a dry dust just to keep the sand off...

#8 ·
I really think the TD is more for show than blow, but I have noticed rain drops falling with a bit more intensity the faster I go, which leads me to believe that it has SOME effect on at least the rear window.

The design of the rear "nook" is not the best....the bimmer, for example has a interior rear flap that folds down when you open the hatch, so you never have to worry about the dirt on the "nook" getting on your clothes.

Just to add to markedoc's point, if you can't wash it frequently, at least California Dust it.;)

#9 ·
More than likely the bumper just collects the dirt residue left over by the wonderfully polluted rain(since it is a large surface area- you notice it more) we have fallin from our skys. You can also notice rainspots on the rest of the car as well especially on the moonroof...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.