Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the non-hybrid MDX now come with AGM batteries (p/n 31500-TZ7-AGM100M) but it appears the Hybrids use a different battery p/n 31500-TZ3-100M, Obviously the non hybrid use an AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) battery based the AGM in it's part number and higher price. My question us whether the Hydrid uses a standard battery or an AGM?

Non-Hybrid battery 31500-TZ7-AGM100M $262.00
Hybrid battery 31500-TZ3-100M $191.67

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
The AGM battery upgrade was for fwd/sh-awd MDXs with Auto Stop/Start. It might mean the hybrid uses the EV battery+7DCT electric motor for Auto Stop/Start if the hybrid only has a standard battery. The standard 12v battery might be only needed since it is only utiliizied when you hit the red start button.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The AGM battery upgrade was for fwd/sh-awd MDXs with Auto Stop/Start. It might mean the hybrid uses the EV battery+7DCT electric motor for Auto Stop/Start if the hybrid only has a standard battery. The standard 12v battery might be only needed since it is only utiliizied when you hit the red start button.
Mrgold that makes a lot of sense. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I've always had bad luck with Acura batteries only lasting 3-4 years in the southwest. I might have to look into upgrading the an aftermarket AGM in a few years if I start to notice any problems. Unfortunately, my TSX and RDX batteries started fine without incident before being completely dead on the next vehicle start. My MDX OEM battery gave me a little warning with slow starts and dying in about 10 munutes in parking mode after I installed a dashcam.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Page 370 of my 2017 SH-SH-AWD MDX owners manual discusses charging the AGM battery. I guess I haven't looked at mine recently, but just assumed that it was AGM.

The acura parts warehouse parts picker points to an AGM as well:

Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
wwhale
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing