Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is, the oil life indicator - is that driven by the way you drive the car, or is it actually measuring something in the oil that determines decay of its quality?

The reason I ask, I am beginning to suspect they didnt actually change my oil at the first service. It took over 10 months to go from 100% to 10% on the oil life, but has dropped from 100% to 80% in only 4 weeks and its down to 60% now after less than another month. I dont know why it could be dropping so fast, I have not changed my driving habits. I did pay for them to put a new filter on and switch to Pennzoil Ultra, maybe the different oil is confusing the sensor?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
As far as I've seen, the M.I.D. oil life indicator is driven my math calculations (miles, engine revs, temp, etc...). I've always had the suspicion the 1-6 services might also shorten oil life if you are getting close to one/some of them. I figured Acura would rather change your oil sooner than be 5000-10,000 miles over on a 1-6 service.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I don't believe Acura or any other manufacturer would use such an advanced, complex and expensive oil sensor. As Mrgold35 stated it uses a formula, it may also be factoring in ambient temperatures which are higher during summer time = sooner oil changes?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
What ever calculation is using, it doesn't change it with the quality of oil you are using... Is using OEM Dino Oil as reference always so if you change it to a superior Synthetic oil then DO NOT USE IT as Reference.

My Mobil 1 EP (Extended Performance) gives me year round protection on my TL-S... Using in the MDX it seems to want me to replace it at 4000K intervals per the MID which is beyond ridiculous (Considering it does 70% hwy use). Use the Trip Meter to keep track of mileage and just reset the MID at 50% and change the oil at 10K if You are using Top Tier oils..

If you are using OEM or Dino Oil then YES follow the MID.
If you are using Top Tier Synthetic then DONT follow the MID, Use Trip Meter to keep track of Mileage with that oil change.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Using in the MDX it seems to want me to replace it at 4000K intervals per the MID
That's the lowest mileage figure I've seen anyone post. My last oil change was at around 8500 miles since the previous one and the MID was at 15%. The previous 2 changes were somewhere in the 7500-8500 mile range as well and the MID still indicated a fair amount left (15% or so). I changed the oil to Mobile 1 EP 0W-20, like you.

I don't know why you're seeing such a big difference in the MID indication for oil change compared to mine and apparently some others I recall seeing posted.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Beats me.. I stopped caring about the MID 3 supposedly needed changes ago.
Its not exactly 4K but somewhere in between 4-5K I have yet to see reaching more than 5K yet. This was my last oil change on the EP 5W-30 and I put 10K on this oil:

Since then I drove 3180miles and the MID said 50% left, then at 4350 it said 15% so I had to reset it to remove that nasty orange (!) in the dash. I will change it again at 10,000miles and keep resetting the MID until then.

I do drive the car hard (I do not baby it from zero speed) but man the MID is getting ridiculous... How bad is OEM Oil?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I do drive the car hard (I do not baby it from zero speed)
That describes about how I drive it as well. I don't have a 2 seater sports car anymore so I tend to drive this as a substitute. One of the things I really like about the MDX is its (for a 7 seat SUV) great handling, acceleration, responsiveness and I make sure I exercise those attributes.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Also making sure SH-AWD is fully operational in the twisties ;)

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Beats me.. I stopped caring about the MID 3 supposedly needed changes ago.
Its not exactly 4K but somewhere in between 4-5K I have yet to see reaching more than 5K yet. This was my last oil change on the EP 5W-30 and I put 10K on this oil:

Since then I drove 3180miles and the MID said 50% left, then at 4350 it said 15% so I had to reset it to remove that nasty orange (!) in the dash. I will change it again at 10,000miles and keep resetting the MID until then.

I do drive the car hard (I do not baby it from zero speed) but man the MID is getting ridiculous... How bad is OEM Oil?
I know the M.I.D. doesn't show any of the 1-6 service until the A/B oil service due reaches 15%. I always wonder if you reset the oil reminder early does it also reset any 1-6 codes you can't see?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I dunno.. I haven´t seen any different codes popping up yet? I sincerely do not mind for them either as I keep my own record of changes by mileage, When I bought the X I changed every single one of the fluids in the car. Engine Oil, ATF, Transfer, SH-AWD Diff, Brake Fluid, PS Fluid.. Its like my obligatory step every time I buy a new car to change everything to keep track of maintenance.

EDIT: You know what scratch that, last time I got the change the Engine Air Filter code as well with the oil.. The first times it only asked me to change the oil.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I have an App on my phone called Road Trip linked to my Dropbox account and we keep track of all my scheduled maint, gas stops, reminders, unscheduled maint, etc... The app sync'd to all of our iPhones to keep the data up to date. I did the same thing when I purchased my RDX/MDX used and changed all fluids except antifreeze and power steering (waited until 100,000 to do those). The Acura Tech was able to link to the MDX and reset all the codes individually for the early service since they didn't show in the M.I.D.

I try to keep to the same interval of mileage and/or time for maint; but, don't exceed the M.I.D. reminder when it pops up. I'm due for brake flush on the MDX (only 2yrs but +35,000 miles), don't know why Acura didn't include this as M.I.D. reminder.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
What oil is in the engine from the factory? regular - rather than synthetic?
I think it's a dino/synthetic blend since that's the oil Acura dealers seem to have. I haven't ever found 0W-20 in purely dino and haven't even seen the 0W-20 blend anywhere other than dealers. The auto parts stores, Walmart, etc. seem to have 0W-20 only in a full synthetic from various manufacturers.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I have an App on my phone called Road Trip linked to my Dropbox account and we keep track of all my scheduled maint, gas stops, reminders, unscheduled maint, etc... The app sync'd to all of our iPhones to keep the data up to date. I did the same thing when I purchased my RDX/MDX used and changed all fluids except antifreeze and power steering (waited until 100,000 to do those). The Acura Tech was able to link to the MDX and reset all the codes individually for the early service since they didn't show in the M.I.D.

I try to keep to the same interval of mileage and/or time for maint; but, don't exceed the M.I.D. reminder when it pops up. I'm due for brake flush on the MDX (only 2yrs but +35,000 miles), don't know why Acura didn't include this as M.I.D. reminder.
I didn't change Antifreeze right away because I waited until I did my Timing Belt since I wanted to flush old A/F as well... That and T-Stat are done.
I did saw that hidden reminders on the Hidden NAV Screen (NAV + CANCEL + SETUP) but I didn't want to mess with them. In the case they pop up I hope they can be reset on the MID :( I freaking hate the (!) on the dashboard for dumb things.

WHY THE HELL Acura put a Chime + Low Fuel + (!) is beyond me... The Low Fuel light is enough, Using the MID Screen and (!) is plain overkill.

·
Registered
661 Posts
At least the MDX is better than the first-gen RDX. I think we changed the oil 9 times in a 36,000 mile lease according to the MID...

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
joys and wonders of rolling turbo man

·
Registered
10 Posts
I smile at you young purists when you talk about oil. Make it easy on yourself. Put Mobil 1 synthetic and a K&N filter on your baby and drive it about 12000 miles between oil changes or about a year. Just write the mileage down and reset the meter when it lights up. Fortunately, I don't have one of those, but I do on my 13 Honda Pilot. Drives me crazy!
I'm the old guy that adjusts the valves by feel. You guys will never keep your MDX very long anyway. You don't have the patience to wait as I have with my 2001 275K baby. Spend your money on something more fun, but I do admire MrGold35's synchronized phone system for keeping track. 😀. And how the hell do you guys manage to post up to 3300 times like skirmich. There's not that many parts on an MDX. OK, I'll go away. By the way, if you do keep yours forever, at about 200000 miles, check the gasket between the oil filter housing and the block. When that gasket splits, you get a free oil drain in about 5 minutes. Not cool on I-35.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I think it's a dino/synthetic blend since that's the oil Acura dealers seem to have. I haven't ever found 0W-20 in purely dino and haven't even seen the 0W-20 blend anywhere other than dealers. The auto parts stores, Walmart, etc. seem to have 0W-20 only in a full synthetic from various manufacturers.
My dealer uses Mobile 1 all synthetic.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Very interesting to know it’s not just a 10,000 mile countdown, which is what I assumed. I bought mine with 7,000 miles and the indy car dealership had put a fresh oil change sticker on it. I hadn’t thought not to trust them until one day recently I checked the filter and it was still OEM. What are the chances some mom & pop used car dealership in North Central Florida carries OEM Honda oil filters? Seems slim. And what benefits them by actually doing a service on a car they’re flipping so quickly? Nothing. So I assume they didn’t actually change the oil or the filter.

Got a 5-qt jug of Amazon Basics 0w-20 for super cheap on subscribe and save (supposedly very good oil), ordered a few Wix XP filters and crush washers from RockAuto, and changed the oil at 9k miles.

One thing I wonder is how does the MID know I’m resetting the oil interval and not some other service thing it’s keeping track of? Does it assume an unexpected reset is for oil, while any other service (e.g. air filter) will only reset when it throws the warning for that particular item?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts