Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2009 with Sport and Nav packages. The nav data has never been updated. Like most people, I use the phone so it's not a big deal. But we do some traveling well outside cell range and I'm wondering if I bought the latest database if the maps have better resolution on the stock screen.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
No change with navi resolution with any update disk. Best you will get is the updated map database and that still might be 1-3 years out of date. Unfortunately, the DVD navi update disk is only updated once a year in the fall. Acura sells the same disk all year with no version updates in-between until the next update the following fall ($199 fall/winter, $149 winter/spring, $99 summer). If you purchase a disk now, it will only have updated info since the fall of 2019.

I got in the habit of only updating every 3-4 years and would purchase my disk used on eBay for $35-$75 depending on how old they were. Did this with my 06 TSX and 08 RDX DVD reader systems, I can't do this with the newer hard-drive based navi systems that also uses XM satellite to finish the update.

Some folks update the info-tainment system with Navtool to add Carplay for around $500. You can do Carplay functions like Apple/Waze/Map quest navi, have Siri voice commands, text messages on navi screen, or mirror your smartphone to watch vids.

·
Registered
10 Posts
No change with navi resolution with any update disk. Best you will get is the updated map database and that still might be 1-3 years out of date. Unfortunately, the DVD navi update disk is only updated once a year in the fall. Acura sells the same disk all year with no version updates in-between until the next update the following fall ($199 fall/winter, $149 winter/spring, $99 summer). If you purchase a disk now, it will only have updated info since the fall of 2019.

I got in the habit of only updating every 3-4 years and would purchase my disk used on eBay for $35-$75 depending on how old they were. Did this with my 06 TSX and 08 RDX DVD reader systems, I can't do this with the newer hard-drive based navi systems that also uses XM satellite to finish the update.

Some folks update the info-tainment system with Navtool to add Carplay for around $500. You can do Carplay functions like Apple/Waze/Map quest navi, have Siri voice commands, text messages on navi screen, or mirror your smartphone to watch vids.
+1

·
Registered
4 Posts
"Some folks update the info-tainment system with Navtool to add Carplay for around $500. You can do Carplay functions like Apple/Waze/Map quest navi, have Siri voice commands, text messages on navi screen, or mirror your smartphone to watch vids."

Could you elaborate on that?

I'm looking at possibly upgrading the amps and sub, but I've been hesitant to upgrade the head unit because I like the functionality of the Nav screen. If there's a way to keep using that screen, I'd be more apt to replace the head unit.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I was going to add Navtool module to my 11 MDX Adv last year. I ended up purchasing a 19 MDX hybrid with Carplay instead. The Navtool seems to have a few more features compared to the Acura Carplay system. I think there is a different Navtool for 07-09 MDXs compared to 10-13 MDXs?

·
Registered
300 Posts
"Some folks update the info-tainment system with Navtool to add Carplay for around $500. You can do Carplay functions like Apple/Waze/Map quest navi, have Siri voice commands, text messages on navi screen, or mirror your smartphone to watch vids."

Could you elaborate on that?

I'm looking at possibly upgrading the amps and sub, but I've been hesitant to upgrade the head unit because I like the functionality of the Nav screen. If there's a way to keep using that screen, I'd be more apt to replace the head unit.

Thanks!
I have installed Navtool in my 2011 MDX

Your installation and wiring hireness would be different than mine as the 2009 ones had a slightly different system with Map DVD below the seat instead of in the main console like in 2010 + models.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts