Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 16 MDX is out of warranty as of 3.5 years and 60K. Battery died today and was wondering if the battery still under warranty?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
So you’re out of warranty and want to know if you’re in warranty?

Um....

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I've had 3 Acura vehicles and only got between 3-4 years on the OEM 100 month batteries. Usual problem is a dead or dying cell(s) for slow starts, reduced reserve time, or just plain dead with zero warning. I replaced with Interstate batteries and always get full 5-6 years with these batteries. Folks that upgraded their battery usually get the full battery warranty period with pretty much every brand other than OEM Acura brand.

Reactions: jcat

·
Registered
893 Posts
Call your dealer. I've had OEM batteries replaced under warranty in previous MDXs. My recollection is that my 05 was out of general warranty due to 50k+ miles, but that the battery has a separate four year warranty.

Edit: I did more searching on internet and while my recollection was correct that for my 05 there was a four year unlimited mileage warranty on the battery, that is not the case anymore. However, there is a separate limited warranty on the battery so check with your dealer to see what credit you get towards a new battery.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Acura batteries have a separate 100 month warranty. My last one died at 45 months and they gave me 55% off the price of a new Acura battery.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
It's worth a check with the dealer to see what they can/will do for you.

fyi - the battery on my 2014 MDX (June 2013 build) died suddenly a bit after 4 years so you likely didn't have a lot of life left in your battery anyway and you were nearing the time to replace it. I bought a replacement battery, Exide Extreme (40 month free replacement warranty), at Home Depot for around $99. The battery on my 2014 was a very standard 24F form factor. It's easy to replace the battery yourself if you end up going that way.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's worth a check with the dealer to see what they can/will do for you.

fyi - the battery on my 2014 MDX (June 2013 build) died suddenly a bit after 4 years so you likely didn't have a lot of life left in your battery anyway and you were nearing the time to replace it. I bought a replacement battery, Exide Extreme (40 month free replacement warranty), at Home Depot for around $99. The battery on my 2014 was a very standard 24F form factor. It's easy to replace the battery yourself if you end up going that way.
called and checked with dealers, they said even though i am still under 4 years but already passed 50K mark, so they wouldn't do it. Bought the Exide Extreme last night at HD for $119 It's newest model L3/48X (bigger and wider than the 2014 and 2015 models) so far so good.

did you get the warning about the battery is low? i didn't get any message or warning before it died.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
did you get the warning about the battery is low? i didn't get any message or warning before it died.
There was no warning. My wife went out to start the vehicle and it did the Christmas tree effect - lights all over the dash and headlights blinking, relays clicking, etc. and no start. This isn't that unusual for a battery because many time on a battery what really happens is one of the cells fails suddenly so there's no longer enough power to start. Luckily I work very near a HD so I just swung by, picked up a battery, and installed it when I got home so it wasn't a major inconvenience but that was just luck - better than being stuck out somewhere or late for work or something.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There was no warning. My wife went out to start the vehicle and it did the Christmas tree effect - lights all over the dash and headlights blinking, relays clicking, etc. and no start. This isn't that unusual for a battery because many time on a battery what really happens is one of the cells fails suddenly so there's no longer enough power to start. Luckily I work very near a HD so I just swung by, picked up a battery, and installed it when I got home so it wasn't a major inconvenience but that was just luck - better than being stuck out somewhere or late for work or something.
I wish there is a way to turn off or stop that stupid "Idle Learning thing" Got the new battery and system is reset, drove around and the car is so smooth, no jerky or anything. I'm able to get around 27 MPG. Next day car back to normal, driving so heavy and jerky and only got around 19-20 MPG. :crying2:

·
Registered
191 Posts
I replaced my battery (June 2013 build date) after 4.5 years of ownership. Still had good charge but didn't want to take the chance of having it give out in the middle of winter.

Acura dealer told me new battery installed has a 3 year warranty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts