Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if I can change the bulbs for reverse and the dash board illumination lights and the licence plate illumination lights for bright white bulbs? I would REALLY like to have a BRIGHT white instrument cluster. If this is possible, does anyone know where to get these kind of bulbs?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK... so i've done some research. The licence plate and dome light bulb number is 168. The reverse light bulb number is 921. These replacement bulbs are easy to find in a Xenon super-white style bulb. I still need help with the size/universal number of the dash board lights. There are MANY of these little lights behind the instrument cluster and dash board. There are at least three different sizes back there. If ANYBODY knows the number for these lights I would be eternally greatful.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Anybody else?

With the Nav rear view camera it would be nice to get some brighter reverse lights to see better.

Ideally I would like some LED based like those superbright flashlights.

Anyone ever see any?

·
Registered
302 Posts
REPLACED MY BACK UP 921 WITH BRIGHT WHITE FROM MIDNIGHTMOOSE. LLOKS GREAT LOTS BETTERBACKING UP AT NIIGHT. REPLACED LICENSE PLATE BULBS WITH 194 LED.BRITE WHIT...A LITTLE BLUE, BUT i THINK IT LOOKS FANTASTIC. REPLACED ALL INTERIOR LIGHTS EXCEPT VANATY AND GLOV. WILL DO THOSE WHEN i FIND THE BULBS! A LITTLE EXPENSIVE BUT WORTH IT IF YOU LIKE THE LOOK!

·
Registered
302 Posts
NO, I am interested in putting bright white behind the cluster I need to research that a little more. What other things are youthinking about doing to your X? I went to OSU from Chicago, then lived in Huntington wv FOR 3 YEARS. We moved to Oregon back in 1985 and love it here. Cinn. area is nice, had a couple of roommates from Cinn. Been to Kings Island!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Really interested in replacing that lighting behind the cluster as well. Oddly this is about how far my posts have gone - up to a soft boil and then die off! Maybe no one has really done this though some folks indicate that they have. I'm borderline ready to try a new 04 cluster installed in my 03 but I'm not that mechanically saavy and am nervous about doing it myself. Sounds like Tim may be able to get me an 04 cluster. What do you think about that? Would be really nice to have both the brighter light and the blue tinge to it.

Aside from that, I've added running boards and will add the chrome mirror covers. I had BSM's but took them off as I didn't think the quality of the plastic and the paint was very high. I think it ultimately looks better without them, and they didn't save me from the 4 dings I've acquired.

All in all, was even thinking about trading up for an 04 - want White with Quartz very badly - but oddly enough, I've searched most of this country and there is no such animal i stock anywhere or even on order!

·
Registered
733 Posts
XStatic said:
Anybody else?

With the Nav rear view camera it would be nice to get some brighter reverse lights to see better.

Ideally I would like some LED based like those superbright flashlights.

Anyone ever see any?
If you really want to go LED, you can get some really good ones from LEDTronics. I replaced all the front/rear tails/turns on my Kawi with their bulbs ... made a significant difference. They're expenisive as sin, but they're worth the money in my book. I tried the $10 LEDs you see in AutoZone, etc, and they're complete junk compaired to these ... during the day they are basically invisible. The biggest difference in these bulbs over all the others is that in addition to the normal rear facing LEDS, they have a row of side facing LEDs that will reflect off the lens reflector, which helps eliminate that "dot" effect you get without them.

They have them in all the necessary colors, but for some reason the white ones (which you'd want) are nearly DOUBLE the cost of the red and yellows. Go figure.

I've thought about replacing the bulbs on the X with them ... only problem is the way the X has two difference type bulbs for the taillights ... don't know how it would end up looking.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
RonH said:
I've thought about replacing the bulbs on the X with them ... only problem is the way the X has two difference type bulbs for the taillights ... don't know how it would end up looking.
Thanks for the info, can you explain what you meant here..

Also if you can help me a bit that web site is a bit overwhelming at first glance.

Which bulb would be the one for the 921 application?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Hmm, as I've never actually looked at the bulbs on the X yet, I assumed they were the standard 3156/3157 or 1156/1157 type bulbs. Guess one day I'll learn to stop assuming things. :rolleyes:

I was origianlly referring to the stop/tail lights being different ... since only one actually lights up when you hit the brakes. My original plan was to rewire them so that all four light up with the brakes, instead of just the two.

Once I get a look a the bulb (never seen a 921 what I know of) , I'll see if they have (or will have) a replacement for it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
5 Participants
RonH
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing