Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to get a new set of 4 on my 2016 MDX with 50K on it. Saw Costco ads on sale with 1 cent Installation. (very good deal)
I heard the tires will get a lot of noise on the road and the ride is very hard. But i never try, currently on Continental tires.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a brand new set of Michelin Premier LTX on my 2015 MDX. So far I love them. They are
quiet and ride well. Plus they are rated well in the snow (for an all-season tire). I know you want to
save money by getting them at Costco but why would you want a tire that has a reputation for being
noisy and riding hard?
Doesn't seem worth it just to save a few bucks.
Just my two cents.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well some said they like the Defender over Premier. But I noticed the Defender is up to 70K Miles rather than 60K Miles on the Premier.
I never ride on both of the Michelin so I don't know which one is better. It's all depend on people taste.

A set of 4 new tires on Premier is over $1500. It's not that i don't want to spend that much of $ on tires, but i don't know it it worth the extra $$$.

·
Registered
281 Posts
It depends on where you live and how you want to use your MDX. The Defender to me is more appropriate for light trucks and with light off road capabilities and reduced on-road refinement. Premier LTX is a newer tire for SUV and with better on-road performance (quieter, better braking in wet when aged).

So if I plan to go offroad a lot (or snow), then and only then that I would consider the Defender on an MDX (though I never seen this combo in my area, and I would destroy the whole purpose of getting a refined/quiet SUV of an MDX). If I don't plan to go off road or snow and my area sees a lot of rain, I would consider the Premier LTX. But for me as someone who doesn't plan to go off road but occasional snow trips and relatively good in all weather, the good old Latitude Tour HP is a good compromise.

Cost-wise, I would just find a new set on eBay for around $850, then local installation for $60.

Proper rotations and tire maintenance make a difference.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
It's getting close to time for me to get tires as well - over 40K miles on the Continentals and I've been checking out the Defender vs Premier. So far I've just read many blogs regarding them and some reviews. It's a very popular question - get the Defender or get the Premier. I've read many posts stating the Defender is quiet and just fine and read similar posts regarding the Premier. A number of posts on the Premier mention getting fairly low miles out of them before needing to replace them but I take those with a grain of salt because some people complain about getting low miles out of the Contis but they've lasted me just fine.

I don't know the answer but I wouldn't make the assumption that the Defender is noisy and harsh - there are too many posts/reviews stating otherwise. I've had Michelin LTX tires (not 'Defender') on previous SUVs and thought they were fine tires. The tread on the Defender isn't an aggressive off-road type design so I wouldn't expect them to be noisy or harsh. OTOH I've had more aggressive tires on prior SUVs that I did real 4 wheeling in (rock crawling in deserts/mountains, etc.) so the LTX tires I had, which had a very similar tread design to the Defender, seemed quite refined in comparison.

I haven't made up my mind yet. If you get them please post back here and let us know what you think of them.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I am about to get a new set of 4 on my 2016 MDX with 50K on it. Saw Costco ads on sale with 1 cent Installation. (very good deal)
I heard the tires will get a lot of noise on the road and the ride is very hard. But i never try, currently on Continental tires.
Call Costco and see what they charge for premier. They may sell them.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys.

I'll look around and see if I can find the best deal during black friday sales. With all the feedback, i think i'll pull a plug on the Premier.
I don't really drive to snow or over the hills that much. So hopefully i can get more miles on these set.

Does anyone refer Costco over Americas Tire? which one is better and are they both price match? I saw Costco black friday ads, only 1 Cent for the Installation.

elvisfan: I check Costco website and they only carry Defender model only, but i'll call them tomorrow and ask if they have Premier available to ship. Thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a 2015 MDX sh-awd and will be in the market for tires shortly. I too have seen the Costco advertisement for Michelin $70 rebate and 1cent installation effective Nov 17. When I run the search on Costco they show only two 19" tires for my MDX: Lattitude and Defender.

I currently have the Michelin Lattitudes with only 35,000 miles on them and they need to be replaced. All 4 tires are evenly worn, have been maintained at the proper inflation level and the car is aligned properly. These Lattitudes have simply worn prematurely in my opinion. I will most likely get the Defenders.

I considered the Michelin Premier but in doing my research I looked at all 162 reviews on the Tire Rack site and those persuaded me to avoid the Premiers. The issue is Tread Life. The Premiers are wearing out between 19,000, 22,000, 24,000, 30,000 miles consistently. And it does not seem to be vehicle related, Acura MDX, Honda Pilot, Volvo, Land Rover all complained about Tread Life.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've had the Defenders on my MDX for a month now, which I bought from Costco.

Comfort wise, I would say they are no worse than the Continentals that came with the car. If there was any change in noise level, I could barely tell. As far as handling bumps and road imperfections, the Defenders actually seemed to absorb them better than the Continentals. If you're picky about handling, I found that the Continentals were a tad more responsive. In terms of gas mileage, it looks as if the Defenders dropped my overall consumption by about 1 MPG in my style of driving. The fuel economy during stop and go driving takes a bigger hit with the Defenders, but it seems like the MPG actually went up a bit during steady cruising when compared to the Continentals.

I had no major gripes with the Continentals, but due to their price and overall performance, I wouldn't go with them again. I think there are better tires out there for the money for the MDX.

I picked the Defenders over the Premiers for a few reasons. The first is that I don't run a separate set of winter tires, so I wanted an all season tire that performed somewhat well in the snow. The other major reason is that the Defenders would probably last noticeably longer than the Premiers. I prefer to get a bit more than the ~50K/2.5 years out of the tires on my vehicles, as our 19" tires aren't cheap. The last set of Michelins I had on my other vehicle were reasonably priced and went over 80K and still had decent tread depth. While it wasn't a big deal, the Defenders were a couple of bucks cheaper than the Premiers; but I probably would have gone with the Defenders anyway if the prices were reversed.

I'm pretty sure that Costco still sells the Premiers. I've found that either their website was slow to update, or they just didn't have any available at their distribution center at that moment. When I was looking to order the Defenders, there were a few days that it didn't show up on their website. Once it did, I made sure to place the order, as I wasn't sure if they'd sell out right away. It almost felt like I was trying to snipe one of the hottest gifts online during the holiday season. The guys at the Costco tire center did recommend that I order online, but also said that I could also order through them. The wait would be less, but I think the prices were slightly higher.

While I cannot comment on the Premiers, this is my experience with the Defenders so far. If you have any other questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Oh, just one more thing. When I first got the MDX, I noticed it was a bit sensitive to road crown and would slightly drift to the side of the road. I thought it might be due to the programming of the EPS or just the overall alignment specs of the vehicle. But after the Defenders were mounted, the drifting pretty much went away.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
^^ Thanks Emmet. It sounds as if you're happy with your decision.

Robot - I've found Costco's website to not be exactly the greatest - they have items on their website they don't have in the stores and vice versa. If you want the Premiers through Costco but don't see them on the website go ahead and check with the store.

I've found that Discount (America's) Tire will price match. They've always been easy to work with for me and have great service when it comes to fixing flats, etc. They'll even sometimes take back tires if you're unhappy with them (you can toss them thru their window like on their commercial). I even had them give me full credit on tires I bought at Costco but was unhappy with - Discount gave me full credit for the price I paid Costco towards a different set I purchased through them at a reasonable price. The Costco set had maybe 20-30 miles on them. I wouldn't hesitate buying tires at Discount again.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I recently got Michelin Defender installed on my 2014 MDX (purchased used with 50K miles). Previous owner never changed tires, I guess, the fronts were completely bald. So, its kind of hard to tell if my new tires are quitter or not but I don't have any complaints. I did feel bit noisy on day one, but I don't feel like that any more.

·
Registered
268 Posts
^^ Thanks Emmet. It sounds as if you're happy with your decision.

Robot - I've found Costco's website to not be exactly the greatest - they have items on their website they don't have in the stores and vice versa. If you want the Premiers through Costco but don't see them on the website go ahead and check with the store.

I've found that Discount (America's) Tire will price match. They've always been easy to work with for me and have great service when it comes to fixing flats, etc. They'll even sometimes take back tires if you're unhappy with them (you can toss them thru their window like on their commercial). I even had them give me full credit on tires I bought at Costco but was unhappy with - Discount gave me full credit for the price I paid Costco towards a different set I purchased through them at a reasonable price. The Costco set had maybe 20-30 miles on them. I wouldn't hesitate buying tires at Discount again.

I'm happy so far. Time will tell though; the true test is if you're still happy with them in the end when it's time for replacement. In my experience I've found that my Michelins tended to fare well over their expected life. Provided that I don't experience any premature rot (which I don't expect, as I don't live in a hot climate), I don't think things should be any different.

If there were a Discount/America's Tire in my area, I'd probably give them a shot. While I like Costco in general, I've never found their tire services to be convenient. My wife was the one who brought the MDX there for the installation. She showed up 45 min before opening to be first in line. Two more guys showed up 15 min later with the same idea, but were a bit disappointed that there was already someone in front of them. If Discount Tire is like any other chain tire shop, I'd imagine that it's probably more convenient from a time perspective than Costco. And if they price match the whole package of tires, installation, road hazard and rotations, I would find it hard to justify choosing Costco over them.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I recently got Michelin Defender installed on my 2014 MDX (purchased used with 50K miles). Previous owner never changed tires, I guess, the fronts were completely bald. So, its kind of hard to tell if my new tires are quitter or not but I don't have any complaints. I did feel bit noisy on day one, but I don't feel like that any more.
I can't claim to have the best hearing and I think that the MDX is pretty quiet overall, so it's hard for me to make out the subtle differences in noise. I'd describe the noise of the Defenders to be "different" more so than "louder" when comparing them to the Continentals. I think the Defenders have a deeper, lower pitch noise while the Continental's sound was higher pitched.

We also noticed that there was a slight increase in steering effort with the new tires. I haven't pushed the Defenders hard yet, so I can't really compare the traction limits between the two. I do know that they feel pretty solid during hard braking though.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the new tires today @ Americas Tire, they are able to price match Costco with $70 OFF and 1cent installation for each. So i saved almost $150 on new set of 4. I only paid $800, I went with Michelin Defender instead of Premier, I put 50 miles on the new tires and so far so good, ride was very quiet and smooth. I am super happy with the purchase. Thanks to all for feedback and recommendations.

I've attached the ad from Costco if anyone interested and i recommended if anyone is looking for a new tires. This is a great deal so far.

Attachments

Reactions: dirtroad72

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was just debating this same question. I am replacing a set of worn out Michelin Premiers very soon. I am very disappointed in the tread life (35K). They had great ride and traction, but were just too soft to last. I am a fan of Michelin and have had great results with the Defender series on previous vehicles. I too was worried about the noise factor.
Thanks for the update Irobot2090.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Thanks Guys.

I'll look around and see if I can find the best deal during black friday sales. With all the feedback, i think i'll pull a plug on the Premier.
I don't really drive to snow or over the hills that much. So hopefully i can get more miles on these set.

Does anyone refer Costco over Americas Tire? which one is better and are they both price match? I saw Costco black friday ads, only 1 Cent for the Installation.

elvisfan: I check Costco website and they only carry Defender model only, but i'll call them tomorrow and ask if they have Premier available to ship. Thanks
Just because they don’t list them doesn’t mean they can’t get them. Oops,asked and answered.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts