Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I don't think so. But you can try it. If it does not work, just return it. This is for Honda. For other cars, it might work.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Odds are 1000:1 against.

What we used in my shop was this setup:

18" breaker bar and 24" heavy pipe (in this case a motorcycle fork tube). Note that it is a Snap-On breaker, which is far superior to Craftsman, Harbor freight, etc.

Note that you MUST have the proper pulley holder to re-torque when installing. Acura also specifies exactly which areas of the bolt/washer must be lubed and which must stay dry to get the proper assembled torque.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Odds are 1000:1 against.

What we used in my shop was this setup:

18" breaker bar and 24" heavy pipe (in this case a motorcycle fork tube). Note that it is a Snap-On breaker, which is far superior to Craftsman, Harbor freight, etc.

Note that you MUST have the proper pulley holder to re-torque when installing. Acura also specifies exactly which areas of the bolt/washer must be lubed and which must stay dry to get the proper assembled torque.

I am going to hustle wth what I have. I have an idea. I have a hydraulic jack which I can use to jack up the breaker slowly to break the bolt lose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Any time I see a harbor freight power tool the answer is always and immediately "NO".

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
No way in hell... Not even 400ft-lb air tools are able to remove that crankshaft bolt without the Lisle balancer socket.

Reactions: Miker104

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
You can always use it for other stuff... But then again its harbor freight so it might only last you one use.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
If you go the harbor freight route, you can get 3/4 tools to use with your holder. It should work very well. I watched some online video test, 3/8 snap on is only slightly better than harbor freight 3/8 breaker. But with a 3/4 one, you will totally win.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you go the harbor freight route, you can get 3/4 tools to use with your holder. It should work very well. I watched some online video test, 3/8 snap on is only slightly better than harbor freight 3/8 breaker. But with a 3/4 one, you will totally win.

I don't think I will have any issue getting the bolt out but I need a long extension to sit on a jack stand. I can insert a long handle bar from my hydraulic jack over the breaker bar for more leverage if I need to. Now I thinking how to tighten the bolt back on. If my setup is sturdy then I can torque it back to spec. Torque to 65 lb ft using harbors freight wrench and then turn the bolt additional 60 deg using the breaker bar. Question. Before you remove the bolt , do you do the TDC first? And the drive belt, remove it or leave it on? For now I just want to find out if I can remove the bolt or not with the tools I have and then tighten it back. I am not planning to remove or replace the timing belt, yet. I assume it's not necessary to do the TDC and remove the drive belt. Apply any lockTite to the bolt thread?

·
Registered
870 Posts
I'm still peeking through my fingers as I cover my eyes in horror.

Full disclosure: I fought with that crank bolt once and lost. I ended up calling AAA for a tow to the nearby Acura dealer, because in my frustration I managed to cross-thread a bracket bolt and I couldn't even get the drive belt back in operation. I ate some big fat crow that day, starting with the tow truck driver: "Yeah, the engine won't start... weird... ". But the techs at the dealer were cool and used the OEM parts I had purchased. They probably got a good chuckle out of it. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses. :frown2:

·
Registered
218 Posts

Full disclosure: I fought with that crank bolt once and lost. I ended up calling AAA for a tow to the nearby Acura dealer, because in my frustration I managed to cross-thread a bracket bolt and I couldn't even get the drive belt back in operation. I ate some big fat crow that day, starting with the tow truck driver: "Yeah, the engine won't start... weird... ". But the techs at the dealer were cool and used the OEM parts I had purchased. They probably got a good chuckle out of it. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses. :frown2:
“Sometimes a man just has to know his limitations.” Think this came from a Clint Eastwood movie but regardless of source, it is certainly true.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

What a bracket bolt has to do with a crankshaft bolt? You probably not doing it properly or like you said got frustrated and just made mistakes. How could you cross thread a giant crankshaft bolt unless you don't know what are doing or do not have a good tools. I know sometime when I get frustrated I said ...fk it!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
How could you cross thread a giant crankshaft bolt unless you don't know what are doing or do not have a good tools. I know sometime when I get frustrated I said ...fk it!
Cross-threading a bolt is not caused by bad tools. Cross-threading occurs when you are not careful -- often when trying to rush, or when you don't use good techniques. For example, all bolts should be threaded several revolutions, by hand. If you try to use an impact on a bolt before you've verified proper thread engagement, then you're likely to cross-thread.

It's happened to the best mechanic, at some point. My biggest thing is to avoid working on cars when I'm in a rush. It's always better to be patient and take care to do things "right". Any time potentially saved, otherwise, is offset by lesser quality or mistakes, later on.

·
Registered
870 Posts
What a bracket bolt has to do with a crankshaft bolt? You probably not doing it properly or like you said got frustrated and just made mistakes. How could you cross thread a giant crankshaft bolt unless you don't know what are doing or do not have a good tools. I know sometime when I get frustrated I said ...fk it!
Bracket bolt was on alternator bracket, which is one of many things that must be removed to gain access to timing belt on 2003 MDX. Bolt is long and access is tight next to fender. Maybe I forgot to lift the engine back up after removing the side engine mount, which is also required. Any yes, I was tired and frustrated, which is kind of the point. It's a big job, even if it goes well. Good luck if you decide to tackle it.

On the subject of tired and frustrated, I had the transmission on that vehicle replaced with a rebuilt trans after Strawberry Milkshake Of Death at 153k miles, and the independent shop decided to do it overnight for some reason. As they were removing the engine hoist after the job was finished, they dropped it on the vehicle and made a bunch of scratches and dents. So they got to pay for that to get fixed. But my daughter still drives the poor thing. It's been through a lot!

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bracket bolt was on alternator bracket, which is one of many things that must be removed to gain access to timing belt on 2003 MDX. Bolt is long and access is tight next to fender. Maybe I forgot to lift the engine back up after removing the side engine mount, which is also required. Any yes, I was tired and frustrated, which is kind of the point. It's a big job, even if it goes well. Good luck if you decide to tackle it.

On the subject of tired and frustrated, I had the transmission on that vehicle replaced with a rebuilt trans after Strawberry Milkshake Of Death at 153k miles, and the independent shop decided to do it overnight for some reason. As they were removing the engine hoist after the job was finished, they dropped it on the vehicle and made a bunch of scratches and dents. So they got to pay for that to get fixed. But my daughter still drives the poor thing. It's been through a lot!

Sorry to hear that. You know what you were doing, my bad. I will keep eyes and ears for those stuff when I will do the t Belt.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.