Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Does '03 require transmission cooler for tow package?

4K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  Lance Crowley 
#1 ·
According to the literature on the new 5-speed transmission:
"Because the transmission shares the idler and third-gear clutches, the transmission provides five ratios in a unit about the size of a conventional 4-speed transmission. The transmission also incorporates a first gear one-way clutch for smoother shifts, plus a heat exchanger that controls and moderates transmission operating temperatures for both durability and improved shifting smoothness."

Does this heat exchanger mean the old "transmission cooler" is no longer required? This would make adding on a tow hitch a much less expensive proposition.

#6 ·
BaldEagle said:
Now that we're on this topic I've always wondered why the steering cooler is required. Can't understand how towing makes this necessary?
That's an interesting question, since there is no more weight on the front wheels (or should not be).
I have noticed power steering coolers for sale on RV sites, and other towing sites.
I can see a reason for it if the total weight of the pulling vehicle is being increased. But for the MDX when pulling a load, not sure why extra heat is being generated in the power steering system.

#7 ·
I can understand increased heat on the tranny when towing, but I don't get the power steering cooler. Seems like overkill to me. Anyone know how much the tranny cooler is separately. I have seen brand name hitches for the MDX for less than $150. I'm sure a hitch and tranny cooler minus the PS cooler could be done for less than the $700 Acura wants.

#14 ·
Towing Pkg & Performance

Since we're on the topic of the towing package, I was curious...does anyone that has the towing package notice a difference in performance? In other words, the coolers, are they "stealing" power from the motor via a belt or are they wired?

#15 ·
Re: Towing Pkg & Performance

g_dog01 said:
Since we're on the topic of the towing package, I was curious...does anyone that has the towing package notice a difference in performance? In other words, the coolers, are they "stealing" power from the motor via a belt or are they wired?
They are neither wired or belt driven. They are passive in-line fluid coolers that go across the front of the radiator. There are fins on the metal tubing to offer more surface area for increased cooling.
Think of them as mini-radiators for the transmission and power-steering fluids.

#16 ·
Transmission Cooler helps non-towing MDX's in hot weather??

South Florida is brutally hot in the summer (like July and August in NYC, but lasts for 6 months). I'm not going to be towing anything, but they've got that overheated transmission idiot light there for a reason and I was wondering if I should install a transmission cooler as a precaution?

Any thoughts or experience with this one.

Thanks,

vcolangelo

#17 ·
vcolangelo said:
Transmission Cooler helps non-towing MDX's in hot weather??

...... and I was wondering if I should install a transmission cooler as a precaution?

Any thoughts or experience with this one.

Thanks,

vcolangelo
Heat is the mother of most transmission problems.

I have had coolers in my last 4 vehicles and I won't leave home without them. Still had to replace the transmission in my GMC P/U.

I would have the coolers even if I wasn't planning on towing.

#18 ·
I'm Convinced

That was easy. I guess I was just looking for some encouragement!

Next, how much for a dealer installed tranny cooler. I'm willing to pay for an Acura install (warranty, done it before, etc.), but I don't want to get ripped off.

Feels like around $150 just for parts from Tim, but does anyone have recent "all in" dealer installed pricing.

Help!

vcolangelo

#19 ·
vcolangelo:

Just paid $781.75 to have the trailer hitch package put on at my dealer. I got ripped, in my opinion, but I don't have the time right now to do it myself.

#20 ·
That's not really that bad of price including installation...

If you paid under $800, then you are doing pretty good. The hit can be had on-line for about $500, but the retail is a lot higher. Consider that they have to take the front bumper cover off to do the coolers, the back bumper cover off to do the hitch, part of the cargo area out for the wiring, and there are a lot of bolts to be installed and torqued.

Really, what you paid is not all that bad. Many dealers charge over $1000 to do the same.

Just curious, did you go to White Bear Acrua, or Bloomington Acura, or someplace else?

I did neither... I got mine through Executive Leasing up in Maple Grove. Much better rates than the dealer, and no waiting! They had a vehicle for me in less than a month! None of this "We require that you have a minimum of 5 dealer installed options" crap.

-Dana

#21 ·
Any Prices for Tranny Cooler Alone

Under $800 sounds like a good price to me too for the full tow kit installation, but does anyone have pricing for just the transmission cooler?

Help!

vcolangelo

#23 ·
Your right, it does not come off...

Sorry about that... I was thinking of my Mercedes ML-430, which I had to take the bumper cover off to install the hitch.

Only the front needs to be removed to add the transmission cooler and upgrade the power stearing cooler.

-Dana

#25 ·
dleasman:

I guess I did OK. Didn't really check the price on the hitch, but I did shop around and got my X through Buerkle in Brooklyn Center. Ordered the '03 in May and haven't gotten it yet. They tell me it was shipped on 12/4. Hopefully tomorrow!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.