Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
81 - 100 of 110 Posts
I've got 24.8mpg with over 500+ miles in one tankfull.
This is with golf clubs, high end stereo system/subwoofer, towing package, and chrome side steps (=heavy).

The way I did it was by not going over 65mph on freeway/hwy, feathering the accelerator during start, no A/C (fan only), and timing my braking so that I don't have to accelerate again.

I used to only get 17 to 18mpg until I decided to change my driving style just for fun (and to save few $).

Driving around in the bay area, mostly on east bay:

commute is 2 miles each way, traffic, stop and go half way

short trips on weekends (<50 miles), if any

Local driving I get about 17 mpg
Freeway I consistently see 25+ mpg at constant speed

Bumping tire pressure to 34 psi cold makes a big difference in fuel economy.

As everyone has already mentioned, easy starts, trying to time lights, etc seem to play a big part.

On a recent 100 mile trip on Rt.80 (NJ to PA), I averaged 25.4 MPG. Speed was consistently 75-80 mph, windows up, ac off, sunroof open on vent (or whatever you call just raising the back part of it).

sbilla said:
i have 07 model, i am getting 16 mpg for higher octane, is there any reason why most people are using high octane gas?
1. Acura requires it (read the manual & the sticker on the gas filler door).
2. Eliminates spark pre-detonation
3. Compression ratio

When the cost of a tankful (not per gallon cost) is weighed against regular or mid-grade, you're only talking about $3.00 - not worth it for reduced performance since the onboard computer will retard the ignition timing for the lower octane fuel. In other words, by going to a lower grade fuel, your economy will suffer overall so it's a tradeoff.

PS: ALL BMWs require premium, as do most, if not all, Acuras.

The only time I seem to pay attention to mileage is on road trips. I use cruise control and typically drive around 75 mph on the interstate and my 05 consistently gets between 22 & 23 mpg. I switched to 87 octane gas a few months ago and have seen no reduction in mpg. The last two weekends I have been on the road to college football games and there is a major gas shortage in our area so to conserve gas I reduced my speed to around 68, and my mpg went up to above 25.

sbilla said:
i have 07 model, i am getting 16 mpg for higher octane, is there any reason why most people are using high octane gas?
Yes, it is recommended by the manufacturer as this motor has a higher compression ratio than before

low mpg for short in-town trips is normal and not just for the MDX. The engine needs to reach a certain temperature before oxygen sensors start working properly to calculate correct exhaust/oxygen ratio and provide feedback to the computer to determine the most economical amount of gas to inject and air to intake. Until then the gas is injected at pretty much the maximum - so, if your trips are 1-3 miles then you will burn a lot fo gas. Other things I read here like tires properly inflated and not stepping on the gas too much will also contribute but you still won't get much more then 12mpg if your trips are 2 mile.

I live in Queens, NY where pretty much every street is a stop sign or a stop light and my mileage in city was horrendous. I got about 8-11 mpg. I thought something was wrong, but I was able to maintain 24-25mpg on highway coming from Long Island which is about a 25 minute drive using the coasting technique. Whenever my speed reachs mid or upper 60's I let it coast back down to 60 and then slowly accelerate back. It seems to help a lot.

But still, local driving is horrendous.

99% CITY ...17-18mpg steady both by hand calculations and trip comp. ....are you people all lead foot or something ? :p ...I get around 340-350 miles per tank ...and that's with the gas light not on ..just as it turns on I stop and refill. So there is still gas in there and I never take over 19 gallons to fill.....so simple quick calculation and being pesimistic and saying i used 20 gallons although i know i didn't ...that's 17mpg...and in the best case 18.4mpg ....I sometimes get the 18.2mpg ....but mostly I hover 17.5-18mpg

So back to what I asked ....do you all have lead feet ?????!! :8:

kingmdx, cities are different, if you ever drive in New York City then it's stop and go even with no traffic because of the lights and stop signs and you never ever get more then 2-3 straight green lights and blocks are short. I see you are from Michigan, so your city may be more like a highway to me :(

My trips are also a few miles and as I mentioned in an earlier post, the car isn't at its optimal gas-to-air ratio if your trips are that short. No, I actually go easy on the gas pedal. I think this is normal, it all depends on your specific rides. I used to get the same mileage on a Maxima, which was supposed to be 20-28 by the book but was actually 13 city for me and 28 highway as the book said.

Went from 11 MPG AVG to 20 MPG AVG

I owned the car for two weeks and wondered if I was duped because 11 mpg avg was absolutely horrendous. I thought this particular MDX was mistakenly made with a V-8 Eng, Nope, only V-6. The fix was simple, thanks to the /\ threads . I checked the air pressure of all 4 tires. Lo n behold they were ALL 30 PSI. The tires call for 44 PSI. So I added one more for fun. 45 PSI and I don't have to sacrifice my morning coffee anymore.

Bzzzzt!

81 - 100 of 110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.